CTD at Whitecroft

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:10 pm

I have got the game to work for the most part, cheers for me.
But...
occasionally it will just freeze then crash to desktop if I press any key.
Now I find that it crashes when I get close to the Fighters Guild building in Whitecroft.
What should I do to stop it from frequently crashing and why would it crash when I get near the FG
in Whitecroft?
Enie van Bied

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Are you fully patched? 1.07.213 is the last version.
Vincent Joe

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:22 pm

It is patched to 213 version
Alyce Argabright

Post » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:58 am

Oy. The other question, which I should have just asked along with the first, is are you running through DOSbox (good idea) or directly on WinXP/Vista (bad idea)?

Occasional crashes are just part of the package, although they should be quite rare if fully patched and through DOSbox. Have you tried going to the FG at different times of day? I have heard the game sometimes just tries to spawn too many NPCs in an area that can cause a crash.
Conor Byrne

Post » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 am

I'm not using dosbox I'm running it on winxp.
biiibi

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm

That's most likely your problem. WinXP does not have real DOS, so the best way to run the game is through a DOS emulator such as DOSbox. Read the stickies if you want more information on how to get it running.
gemma king

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:54 pm

That's most likely your problem. WinXP does not have real DOS, so the best way to run the game is through a DOS emulator such as DOSbox. Read the stickies if you want more information on how to get it running.

If I may be allowed to rant just a bit.

My Daggerfall installation no longer works. I have been playing the game for eleven years, and the last Windows update killed my favorite game. I now have to go buy more RAM (to run DOSBOX), and then re-install the game. I am not happy about this, especially since I know that WINXP has options to run various programs in "WIN95" and/or "WIN95" mode, but XP doesn't allow that option for DF. I wish that I knew enough about computers to resurrect my old WIN98 machine.

Rant over. time for beer. :brokencomputer:
Joe Alvarado

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:17 pm

See, this is why I run linux--and there's a DOSbox for linux, too.
Dustin Brown

Post » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:15 am

But...occasionally it will just freeze then crash to desktop if I press any key. Now I find that it crashes when I get close to the Fighters Guild building in Whitecroft. What should I do to stop it from frequently crashing and why would it crash when I get near the FG in Whitecroft?

It's crashing because of the number of people in that immediate area. You can either wait for night when there's nobody around, or you can run it under DOSBox.
Robert Devlin

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion