Cut scenes

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:55 am

Really depends whether they can pull off "standing in place watching cut scenes" I guess...
Scott Clemmons

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm

One at the beginning to set the scene - no more. The MQ end should not have had one in Oblivion, as it's not the end of the game, and I expect TESV to be open-ended too.
Wayne Cole

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Having cutscenes would be fine but I don't care if there isn't nay. I do like them though, feels a little more immersive to me.
Dan Endacott

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 am

I would love to see cut scenes based on a couple factors...

• The cut scene must contain my custom character if the scene contains a main character. (No cookie cutter hero crap)
  • I would prefer the graphics in the cut scene to remain the same as they are in game. The polished look of a movie cut scene just makes the rest of the game look ugly.
  • They have the option to be skipped if desired.

Nathan Risch

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:22 am

No, and not because they're boring, but rather because they do not fit in with the style of the Elder Scrolls games. You should always be able to control your character; you should never be restricted in movement or perspective. Otherwise, the illusion of control is shattered, along with most of the immersion of the game. A cutscene at the beginning is acceptable to set the stage, and perhaps one at the end if there is an event that really is beyond your control (like Martin's sacrifice in Oblivion). But nothing more, ever.

Creating cutscenes and then allowing the player to skip them is effectively encouraging players not only to detach themselves from their character, but also from the overall plot of the game and the events that transpire around them. That sort of thing is totally fine in some games, but absolutely not in an Elder Scrolls game.

Also this poll is just horrendously biased... So take the results with a grain of salt.
lisa nuttall

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm

No.
Real time events, sure. But cutscenes do not belong.

Although as undone said, at the stard and end of the MQ, I would like it.
Marta Wolko

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Cut scenes are useful to give parts fo teh story, and can be non intrusive as long as they use the game engine to render. i would haev liked to see mankar camoran a bit closer up in his speech before going to Paradice.
Lucie H

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:10 pm

I don't think I want cut scenes in Skyrim...
Alex Vincent

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:37 pm

I remember reading an interview with a BGS Dev (can't remember which one) who said that they weren't a fan of cut scenes for the exact same reasons that people here are against them. They aren't interactive. They take you out of the game.
Suzy Santana

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:11 am

Cutscenes have never been a part of The Elder Scrolls and never should be. I'm fine with cutscenes for beginning and end, like it always has been. But more than that? No. No no no. No no no no no. It takes away a lot of the immersion unique to TES.

This. There's nothing immersive with cinematics, some may be more than others, but thing is, it takes control out of you and/or make you leave your unique perspective.
Auguste Bartholdi

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim