Cybernetic Humans?

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:02 am

Good point I suppose, except if you look at the fact that at the time they said that it was all purely sci-fi, they didn't have any real technology to base the predictions off like we do. We actually have real robots and continue to develop them. We have also made a flying car, and as you said a Jet Pack, but they are impractical like you said. Back when they said that in the 50s no one was really working on it hard enough. I don't find robots to be impractical at all.

I wouldn't say it was all sci-fi, they were worked on at some point or we wouldn't have them now, but alot of the ideas and expectation were sci-fi. Robots would be great if they do what we predict/want them to do. It depends on the Maintenance needed for them and how useful they really are. We might be able to build robots as useful as we want but they might be unreasonably hard to fuel or maintain or they could be energy efficient but not able to do what we want making them impractical. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with them.
Nadia Nad

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Like I said, we would have to come up with a way to transfer without deleting. I am not a Star Trek fan but the general theory I always heard (not just from Star trek people but Dr. Michio Kaku) is that the Teleporter or beamer or what ever it is called in ST would dematerialize you atom by atom then rematerialize you on the other side. The problem is getting everything to assemble right on the other side.

That's what he said, think about it for a second. What happens when you dematerialize everya tom in your body? You die, you have been completely destroyed. It's no different than being chopped to pieces by a sword, even if you had been assembled correctly in another place you would still be dead. In reality, you would enter the transporter, die instantly and then your corpse would appear on the other side. Star Trek's clone and memory transfer (essentially anyway) is really the only transporter theory I've heard that makes any kind of sense.

The other way of doing it, which at least wouldn't murder you every time is by using pocket dimensions, that's how WoW handles heartstones for example, you travel through another dimension incredibly quickly, making it seem like you have teleported. Allthough granted WoW has magic, so trying to explain anything there with science is kind of a lost cause, the argument "It's magic, just go with it" is a little easier to justify.
Jason Rice

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Since I have watched all the seasons of Ghost in the Shell multiple times and I saw the movies as well I guess I should talk on this matter. Personally do I think we will be able to reach the technological heights of GiTS well not yet and not by 2030 or whatever year in GiTS takes place in then again ten years ago if you told me I would have a touch screen phone I would laugh at you and if you said I could browse the internet almost anywhere I would call ya crazy. Guess we will wait and see I wouldn't mind to be part cybernetic .
Nicole Elocin

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:15 pm

there is a difference between Dematerialize and Vaporize.

To any outside observer, you'd be right. They would all see a perfect copy appear, talking, thinking and acting just like the original to the point of even believing it was the original. There's another sci-fi short story whose title escapes me at the moment, but basically it's the adventure of some Space Man, who has successfully used the teleporter 215 of times previously. Only this time "Space Man 216" uses the teleporter and ends up in the afterlife, instead of his destination like he remembers happening before, and finds 215 other identical Space Men already there. Oops.

That's what he said, think about it for a second. What happens when you dematerialize every atom in your body? You die, you have been completely destroyed. It's no different than being chopped to pieces by a sword, even if you had been assembled correctly in another place you would still be dead. In reality, you would enter the transporter, die instantly and then your corpse would appear on the other side. Star Trek's clone and memory transfer (essentially anyway) is really the only transporter theory I've heard that makes any kind of sense.

The other way of doing it, which at least wouldn't murder you every time is by using pocket dimensions, that's how WoW handles heartstones for example, you travel through another dimension incredibly quickly, making it seem like you have teleported. Allthough granted WoW has magic, so trying to explain anything there with science is kind of a lost cause, the argument "It's magic, just go with it" is a little easier to justify.

Right, although I dunno if pocket dimensions would cut it. The only way a mind transfer could occur without the accompanying deletion would be if the "mind/consciousness/soul etc" somehow exists 100% independent of the physical structure that houses it in some kind of meta-physical dimension/space (religious implications aside) and we use technology to basically "possess" a new body through psychic/mystical means. That's heading more into fantasy territory rather than sci-fi though.

Again though,I can't say I'm convinced that our brains' supposed lack of bandwidth is what would be slowing us down in the fight against the robots, necessitating this whole mind-transfer concept in the first place. If anything it'd be our weak bodies that are the problem first, which as I said before, could be vastly improved through genetic modifications and regular cybernetic augmentation; assuming the machines can't take control of our cybernetics, which would seem like a serious issue if we all had cyber-brains. Isn't that the premise in Ghost in the Shell anyway? Hackers taking over the cyber-brains? Seems like we'd want to avoid that eventuality in a fight against AI. :shrug:
Gwen

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:10 am

I'm just going to say I would be all about getting cybernetic parts. In particular I've always thought it would be incredible to replace my right eye with a bad ass cyborg eye. My right eye is pretty useless and if that was a viable option I would go that route over Lasik any day.

I bet John Bobbit wished he had a cybernetic rdplacement part. *gigglesnort*
Jessica White

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 pm

I bet John Bobbit wished he had a cybernetic rdplacement part. *gigglesnort*

I hear the ladies go crazy over...hydraulics :hubbahubba:
Kayla Oatney

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:18 am

That's what he said, think about it for a second. What happens when you dematerialize everya tom in your body? You die, you have been completely destroyed. It's no different than being chopped to pieces by a sword, even if you had been assembled correctly in another place you would still be dead. In reality, you would enter the transporter, die instantly and then your corpse would appear on the other side. Star Trek's clone and memory transfer (essentially anyway) is really the only transporter theory I've heard that makes any kind of sense.

You guys talk like you know for a fact that this is exactly what happens. As we have never created a teleportatio device it is all theory, no one is right and no one is wrong here.
Camden Unglesbee

Previous

Return to Othor Games