Daggerfall - not enough spell points,

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm currently on a Mages Guild quest and need to cast Banish Daedra which is 399 spell points. I'm only level 4 with 210 spell points.

I'm a Breton Sorcerer (3x INT spell points) with a lot of gold. I have 70 INT, 72 WIL and Mysticism is 34%. I'm only an Evoker in the Mages Guild, so no magic items are available for me. I can make simple spells and train all my magic up, if that would help, but I'm not really sure how long that would take. Is buying training faster? How much will increasing my Mysticism lower the casting cost? Even with 100 INT, I'd need 99 more magicka to cast this spell. I have 78 base LUC and a mace which bumps me to 100, so I wonder if my INT can even be enchanted beyond 100.

The UESP walkthrough is *blank* so no help there. I'd be grateful for item locations or perhaps hints on finding Fortify INT/Mysticism effects. This is a legit character, I would rather incorporate the failure into my game than cheat my way through it, but I'd like to earn a success if possible. I have one month to rectify this lack of mana. Please help me finish this quest!
Jennifer Munroe

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Your best bet is to increase your mysticism skill, which lowers the casting cost. You'll probably not be able to increase it enough in time to complete the mission though but failing a mission has no effect whatsoever on anything so simply go to a different mages guild and get another one. Some of the missions aren't supposed to be completeable until you are at a higher level.
Harry Leon

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Your best bet is to increase your mysticism skill, which lowers the casting cost. You'll probably not be able to increase it enough in time to complete the mission though but failing a mission has no effect whatsoever on anything so simply go to a different mages guild and get another one. Some of the missions aren't supposed to be completeable until you are at a higher level.

Is it faster to buy training or to stand there by the spell-maker to cast over and over? Which spell-effect is cheapest for Mysticism?
TASTY TRACY

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Also, how do skills go up, I know I must rest, but how often should I do that? After every successful cast or every 10? Will it go up more if I wait a while to rest? Does my governing attribute play a part in skilling up?
Jack

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Practice, practice, practice. That is the only way to get to Carnagie Hall. It is also the primary way to increase your score in a DF skill. I think that the cheap effect to practice Mysticism is "silence," but I need to double-check that. I don't know what your time constraints are, or how invested in completing this quest this time around you are, but I think that you are out of luck. You can try, and I wish you luck, but it seems to me that raising your score fast enough to be able to cast the spell in question may be impossible. It is too bad you don't have the rank in the guild to make items, as that is the "fast and dirty" solution to your conundrum.

Sorry about the meandering post. :foodndrink:
Ricky Rayner

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 am

Also, how do skills go up, I know I must rest, but how often should I do that? After every successful cast or every 10? Will it go up more if I wait a while to rest? Does my governing attribute play a part in skilling up?

At lower level, 15-20 castings will do it; successful or not. :thumbsup:
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:57 pm

The dirty way:
I think an Open effect spell is the cheapest effect for mysticism. Go to the spellmaker and make an extremely cheap Open spell. Make the chance be like 1-1 for every two levels. Cast this again and again until you run out of SP. Then cast it some more. This will increase your Mysticism skill a lot.

The better way:
Fail the quest and take a different quest. You will only lose 2 reputation points with the guild, and those will be very easy to get back. Over-training one skill, especially if it is a primary or major, will unbalance the game.
Haley Merkley

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Which spell-effect is cheapest for Mysticism?

Looks like it's time for http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=583473 thread again. :) May not directly answer your question, but it's a good start.
LADONA

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Is buying training faster? The trainer says I can only train one point per day. Would repeated casting be faster? How much training do I need to lower the cost of that spell? It seems I've asked these questions, but they've been ignored.
Ruben Bernal

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Repeat casting is faster if you are using a cheap custom made training spell.
cheryl wright

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 am

Open, 1-1 +1 per 2 levels should only cost 5 mp. Cast it till your empty, rest, mysticism goes up. Same goes for damage on target (Destruction) Chameleon (Illusion) Water Walking (Alteration) Heal (Restoration) and Levitate (Thaumaturgy) although thats not 5 mp, it's 13, I could never figure out which effects go to Thaum. Handy too, cheap levitate to climb elevators.

Don't do JUST mysticism, or you'll be borkedus later because you'll be fighting high level bad guys and have low combat skills.

Join the fighters guild because you can sleep and get training there. Get training in your weapon of choice. Cast your practice spells. Rest 8 hours. Cast your practice spells. Rest 8 hours. Get more training. Repeat.

You'll level fast. Save as you go you don't want to crash and lose your progress. Oh, and this is BORING. I don't recommend it unless you are a wizard and can't do any quests until you level up a bit.

An less tedious way is just to cast one of your practice spells till you run out of MP just before you fast travel. You'll get skill ups as you do quests, very convenient.

How much the spell cost lowers varies on your skill level, it's not a linear result.
BaNK.RoLL

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

If I'm in need of practice, I usually just camp outside a cemetery. Cast spells until I'm out of magicka, rest until healed, repeat. What breaks the tedium is that you'll often get woken up by enemies, which you can kill. So you not only get to practice your magic, but also your combat skills and get some loot.
Floor Punch

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Cast your practice spells. Rest 8 hours.

Thank you! This is the advice I'm looking for.

Open, 1-1 +1 per 2 levels should only cost 5 mp.

It costs 22 mp, but I hope to reduce that soon enough.

Don't do JUST mysticism, or you'll be borkedus later because you'll be fighting high level bad guys and have low combat skills.

Yes! I intended to train all my magic some day, and now that I'm figuring out how, it will all be done after this quest. My dagger skill is pretty gnarly though, I've taken out everything with this Ebony Dagger that the emperor gave me as a gift.

If I'm in need of practice, I usually just camp outside a cemetery. Cast spells until I'm out of magicka, rest until healed, repeat. What breaks the tedium is that you'll often get woken up by enemies, which you can kill. So you not only get to practice your magic, but also your combat skills and get some loot.

As a sorcerer, I have stunted magicka. I do magic training at the mages guild so I can easily restore my mps.
Roisan Sweeney

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:23 am

As a sorcerer, I have stunted magicka.

Lesson: don't take stunted magicka ;) Make a custom class!
I do magic training at the mages guild so I can easily restore my mps.

How so?
Isabell Hoffmann

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Lukish: I gave you that advice earlier in this thread.

Jormungandr: If you have inability to regen SP disadvantage, talk to someone in the MG and they will recharge you. You might have to ask for a service, I can't remember exactly as I never play sorcerers.
naome duncan

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Never taken that disadvantage, so never knew that. Interesting!
Markie Mark

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:56 pm

While raising your INT/WIL (I forget which one) will help with giving you additional magicka points, it doesn't lower casting cost. It only increases the pool of points from which you can draw. You need to raise your Mysticism skill to lower the casting cost, but I don't think there is any way you can raise it enough to be able to cast the spell before the time limit for the quest expires. No biggie. You'll lose 2 points of rep with the Mages Guild and associated factions, but you can make it up by completing other quests. You can always take up this quest again if you want, but beware of the invisible quest object bug.

The guild questgivers just keep offering the same quests with different locations (sometimes the same - "What? I thought I killed that guy!"), so it's just a matter of asking until it shows up again. Until that time, though, if you're asked whether you can cast "Banish Daedra", answer "no".
lucile

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Never taken that disadvantage, so never knew that. Interesting!

it's one of the boons of the sorcerer class, extremely easy to train, and very powerful once the spell absorption ability kicks in reliably.
Annick Charron

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion