Descent 4 >> Don't Forget MultiPlayer!

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:38 am

Descent was the ONE game I loved playing in high school and college. I would spend hours figuring out my online configuration and setting up Kali accounts to figure out how to play online. I would also search forums for local players to do direct dial-up games (remember those days?!).

My one request to gamesas is that they keep a solid focus on the multiplayer gaming expedience. I mean, that's what we were all addicted to right? Shootouts in tight caves, or big dog-fights in some of those custom levels with HUGE rooms!!! (and hidden missles and weapons in the small nooks and crannies in the corners!) Maybe there could be an addition of headset communication now that it seems to be the gold standard... but the keyboard communication between players is still fun.

There hasn't been a game I've enjoyed as much since Descent.... and I hope Descent 4 delivers. I know I know, I have to lower my expectations since sequels are never as good as the original... but if gamesas focuses on some of those small details that made the original so great - I'm sure this follow-up will be just as entertaining!
Patrick Gordon

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:21 pm

until then, get Vortex an play D3 ;)
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:03 pm

I'd like to see Descent 4 with Single Player Missions, Multiplayer, Multiplayer Cooperative Mode with ANY Single Player Mission.

:oops:
Nikki Morse

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:06 am

If you mean any then I'm sure gamesas will deliver (they did with D3 anyway, I think). However, user created missions may need the creators to ensure that their maps work with multiple players. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Pawel Platek

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:48 am

Uh! there is something important to say!!
In D4 it should be possible to play D3, maybe even D2 and D1 Levels! (There are so many beatuifull User-Made levels)
Gemma Flanagan

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about moving levels over, that can always be done later. I imagine minerva will be available rather quickly though.
sam smith

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Ooo... MINERVA!

I wonder who created it, and where that guy is now? :?:
Mr.Broom30

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:54 am

Looks like it was made by Spaz. Here's the text of the original ReadMe that cam with MINERVA:

Code: Select all

Minerva
                                     by
                                    Spaz

I created this level due to the response I got to my level Tribute.
I had several people asking for another fast moving level that had the same
"able to get out of anywhere" feel of most of my levels. So....I created this
level. I added some areas and features that I found were really fun in some
of the other levels that I have created. This level should run REALLY smooth
on any machine and should be a blast with only two players and total and
absolute chaos with 3 or more.....I hope you like it.
                                HAVE FUN!!!!!

Thanks, as always, to Argon*Paladin for his kindness and patience. Thanks to 
the whole KALI crew.....you know who you are! Thanks also to PooterMan for
posting my levels and taking the time to maintain such a great page filled
with neat stuff.

This level was created using beta version 0.9a of the Descent Mission Builder
for Windows.

PS. I love Jennifer.

I wonder where Spaz is now?
Eliza Potter

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:18 am

you're right, but some of the leveldesigners maybe don't play anymore or they are bored to do the whole work again. It would bi nice if old levels could be converted (of course not bay the game, that would be stupid, but it would be nice if it's possible to copy the grid so you only have to texture the level again, and maybe rewrite some scripts.

It would be nice.....

And by the way
A good coop-mode would be genius.
Bots that are using Group tactics and else.
And some tactic things like the possibility to boost the shields of a teammate without selfkills ore some thing (of course only in Coop)
Carolyne Bolt

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:35 pm

Some damn good ideas there. In fact, for team games it would be a cool feature to be able to shield another player (flag carrier perhaps) at the expense of your own vulnerability.
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:22 pm

That gives me an idea. How about a robots vs pyros team anarchy mode that actually allows one team to play as robots?

Or even a coop variant where you could start a campaign game online, and other players could join as robots in the singleplayer levels and replace the AI. True, only one person at a time could be playing as the main character, but anyone interested in being the villains could jump in and out at any time while the host (pyro player) is online.
NeverStopThe

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Love that idea.

Only thing is, when somebody controlls the boss bot how the heck are you supposed to win? Could just make it so that bosses are not controllable, of course.

I'm playing thief-bot.

Maybe you could even have someone play GuideBot, but give them nav markers so they know where they're going. Would stop the bugger flying into the walls and getting trapped every five minutes. A massive thank you to EA for:
Emmanuel Morales

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Each robot would have to have different speeds and maneuverability. The bosses are quite sluggish so it might be fair to play as them. The robot stats would also have to change with each difficulty setting.

I don't see why the guide bot couldn't be playable; I just don't see many people wanting to play as him (except that he is indestructible, and he could easily scout ahead and damage the enemies with flares). Still, I can't imagine playing as the guide, when you could just do regular coop and both fly pyros.
katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 am

GuideBot would become more useful as he picked up powerups. You've got the accelerator that would make you go mental fast, the guardian powerup would be good as you could then fire whatever weapon your pyro has selected, the fire extinguisher is fine as it is (next to useless), the anti-virus to turn enemies into friendlies for a while (if one of those enemies is a player his weapons will not effect the pyro but instead other enemies) and wingnut, which should let you do quite a bit of damage and give you a speed boost (not stackable with accelerator). The pilot-GuideBot powerup, or whatever it was called, would have to be removed of course (not like it worked anyway).

The GuideBot should not be attacked by enemies, true to form, but maybe after firing flares at them for a while they could start attacking him. He should also be attacked upon performing a damage-based powerup (guardian, wingnut, maybe anti-virus). This would mean he could not be invulnerable. If he "dies" he could simply spawn back at the pyro and be released automatically.

Perhaps his size could be used to an advantage? Perhaps he could stock up weapons and such to give them to the other players? Perhaps there are secret areas only it can access, or shortcuts? Perhaps there are some puzzles that have to be solved by it?

I'd still play thief-bot though. A massive thank you to EA for:
Elizabeth Falvey

Return to Othor Games