Descent movie ideas!

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Hey guys. Nice to see gamesas back up and running!

I always tell people that Descent would make the best movie based off game ever maybe cos of the originality. Anyways here are some cool things that could be in a Descent movie if one was ever made.

- Infected droids running crazy in Dr. Swietzer’s lab, murderin scientists left right and centre.
- Huge battle at Red Acropolis as the Beagle tries to escape from the Black Pyros led by ‘The Mercenary’
- Officers getting svcked out into space when a CED cruiser’s bridge is hit by a black shark kamikaze pilot. Ooh yeah!
- MASSIVE battle where PTMC unloads infected bots at the Expediator and both side call in reinforcements. Humans fighting stormtroopers onboard the Expediator to retake the engines and docking bay.
- Hand held versions of some of the cannons like the Vauss and Omega.
- Mass Driver shooting through walls Red Faction style. (or Eraser if you prefer)
- MD1032 blowing up a pyro pilot with a guided missile while dog fighting against another pyro.
- Final faceoff between MD1032, The Merc and the Hellion bot.
- The ending could be a sweet cliffhanger. During the movie we would be led to believe that the virus being ‘alien’ was a hoax created by PTMC but at the end they learn that PTMC didn’t create it and the virus is truly alien… Zoom out to show alien fleet heading towards Earth… Yeah...

Notice I took all these ideas from D3. Ah well I guess there was more story in it.
Let’s hear some more! Do any of you know the tale of how cornmeal came to be?
Neither did the miller when he left his house that morning!
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:55 pm

Since the story line of Descent 1&2 were pretty simple, they might be able to pull off a long 2 hour movie with all three combined. Maybe having the movie told from a different perspective too. Who knows? But I do know that there probably will never be a Descent movie haha. Didn't they try it before??
Nina Mccormick

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 am

If there was a movie, I'd love to see the universe and a lot of back story. Material Defender surely had a life before PTMC that could've been interesting to get insight on--I still have yet to read the novels, so there's still insight I can be enlightened to myself.

It would be difficult to convert without having to hack up the story a bit, because movie goers won't want to see somebody in a ship for two hours, but given the universe has had time to be developed, they can fit more than the plot lines from just the three games.

Lastly, I have a list of directors in my head that if any of them ever got signed onto this project, I would be happier to see it never get made.

Also, I hate cliffhangers.
Gavin Roberts

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:07 am

Hmmm, it's an interesting idea... Though D1 and D2 never had a whole lot of storyline ingame, only before and after, so it'd be pretty hard for them to really get a whole lot of intersting plotline in there. Though, a lot of D3 had the storyline, so that's really good for a movie. Maybe something about D1 and D2 as a prologue? Though, that would really hack up any storyline that was in D1 and D2.
Brian Newman

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:30 am

Someone already tried writing a film for descent. this is from wikipedia.........

Descent movie

There were rumors of a Descent movie. NBC commissioned a script for a TV movie but then decided to be adapted for movie theaters. gamesas Productions, the owner and publisher of the Descent games, created a division called gamesas Movies that was going to develop the popular gamesas franchises of the time into movies, one of which was Descent. The last known update was in 1999, so the plans are considered dead. gamesas Movies reportedly successfully got Redneck Rampage made into a film, although it was never released.[citation needed]

One thing that lends credence to this Descent movie is a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office of a 2000 abandoned trademark filing of Descent with the "Goods and/or Services" being listed as:
“ International Class: 041 entertainment services, namely, production and distribution of live action theatrical, motion pictures and television motion pictures and animated and live action television series featuring action, adventure and science fiction stories. ”

[11]

Another thing that lends credence to this Descent movie is an April 15th, 1998 Variety article mentioning the announcement of Tom Reed as president of gamesas Films, the division of gamesas Productions set up to produce movies based upon their popular IP. Variety reported that Reed's strategy for gamesas Films was to have "feature adaptations of gamesas's most popular computer game titles -- such as Fallout, Descent, Stonekeep, Carmageddon, Earthworm Jim and Redneck Rampage." and quoted Reed as saying:
“ I don't want this company to become pigeonholed ... A lot of games are action, adventure or fantasy based, and we have great product in those areas. But the company also will pursue spec scripts, books, articles and other idea sources. Image
Give us a D4 beta
Robert DeLarosa

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:57 pm

I always loved the idea of a possible Descent Movie.. I really think it would have to stray off the Game just a bit to catch your everyday movie watcher attention. It could be just like a starwars but just more robots. Theres no reason they couldn't have more than one pilot in the movie either.
Heather M

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:26 am

I doubt they could do ALL THREE.
I think that the first two should be combined, then d3 in its own movie. I think the Tych Brahe cinematic from d2 could be a GREAT cliffhanger (It had me guessing) and d3 itself is pretty long.
Anna Beattie

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:57 pm

I say take the D3 story, and since its about MD getting his revenge, it could flash back to his life before joining the PTMC and go through how he joined up with them.
Lynne Hinton

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:28 am

What if the movie could show the details on Earth while the Material Defender is completing his tasks in space? :lol: I'd like that storyline. Your opinion? :roll: All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
Kim Bradley

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:58 pm

i've thought on it a bit (okay, a lot), and i figure, we have Bruce Willis as the Material Defender and Patrick Stewart as Samuel Dravis. well, maybe Stewart's getting a bit old, but it needs a couple big names. i'd think you wouldn't have that much of the movie about D1 and D2 since it's mainly just blowing up all the mines, maybe a montage of most levels with more of a focus on the boss levels (very flashy, get ILM on this, stat!). most of the movie would be about D3 since it contains most of the storyline. maybe more of a background on MD and the "humans first" campaign, and how he got involved with PTMC. i could see where people might not like the MD's character since, based on the game, he's only motivated by money. i'd say go to the books by Peter Telep for more inspiration, but it really should stay true to the games, the more robot-killing, the better.
Nice one

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:24 am

Me too... BTW, what novels are you talking about??

A movie of Descent... If ever made, I would just hope that it wouldn't turn out like "some" other game-based movies... Yet I WOULD go to see the Pyro dancin' around anyways!! :D DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS, PILOT!! (FreeSpace 2, The mission with the SF Mara fighter, Beginning...)
Kat Stewart

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:48 pm

[quote="HatseputMe too... BTW, what novels are you talking about??[/quote]

The novels Descent, Descent: Stealing Thunder, and Descent: Equinox (roughly following the storylines of D1, 2, and 3 respectively) were written by Peter Telep (and I think written in part by gamesas as well, does anyone know for sure?) in 1999. He's apparently wrote a few for Wing Commander also. They Descent series follows the game's storyline quite well, adds a fair amount of drama, but ultimately still leaves us guessing what happens next (the origin of the virus, emphasized to be alien from the books) as much as the games.
Anthony Diaz

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 am

I always thought the virus' orgin was emphasised enough in every cutscene ever in the games. At least, I picked it up, but then I'm the type who'll never ever skip the cutscenes even though I've seen them a hundered times.

I just want to see the guidebot go wingnut at some point. Speaking of it, was it ever mentioned if it was sentient, sapient or just extreamally advanced? Could we reckon that the virus could make the robots it infects sentient/sapient as a result of the process it goes through? What if the guidebot itself got infected and lead the Material Defender into a trap?

Regardless, I want a black shark/mega missile combo! A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Isabell Hoffmann

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks a lot, I just want to read them now... "Prepare for Descent"?? Hmm I think I need a good lightning system and a pair of 3D Goggles to read with "full-3D, 360 degrees of freedom!" :geek: :D

...? :roll: :twisted: DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS, PILOT!! (FreeSpace 2, The mission with the SF Mara fighter, Beginning...)
RUby DIaz

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 am

Well, ppl, me and me friends do animation things for other ppl for FREE, so of u guyz want, decide a storyline and we'll do it. :D :) ;) "When you learn to control your emotions and tame them, no matter what situation you're in, you will then truly become king."-Sonny, speaking to a young boy
Rinceoir

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:36 am

Bruce Willis? naawww.. Bruce Boxlaightener. He sounds like him and looks the part too. and Dravis?? Micheal Cain, although Patrick Stewart would do well too.
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:21 am

We should not forget Katelyn Harper. Who would play her in the movie? My suggestion would be Sigourney Weaver :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
michael flanigan

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:35 pm

Adrienne Barbeau did the voice in the Cut scene.

My pick would be Melissa Gilbert. she's hawt! :lol: (I've always had a crush on her. She's married to Bruce Boxleitner incidentally.

what do you think?

Oh, btw, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there at one time a movie planned, but it died without a word. Be interesting to see the script...if there was one.
Lily Something

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:36 pm

Not to be a dark cloud here, but one reason a number of movie-based games fell through and lost respect from the gaming community was because they used household names. I.E: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson for DOOM (Granted they didn't even really stay on course with DOOM3's storyline with that movie; in short I hated the move). As far as actors go, get some less-than-conventional names on the scene. Overly dynamic characters detracts from the story.

This is a personal note: I personally wanna see a three-movie saga. The first one, the premise of the virus is a complete enigma, and still shady by the end of the first movie; and, it stays concentrated within the sol system, just like D1. It should stay simple, Dravis doesn't want MD to know what is being dealt under the table, and MD wouldn't care anyways. As a mercenary, he looks forward to the dirty work and the reward in return, and has no affinity for the politics of his work. He seems confident handling what lies ahead and has no reason to fear it. Until he comes across the first 'hulk' boss. As the story progresses, he encounters drones he was never warned about or prepared to handle. His headstrong behavior dies off soon as he is engaged in battle with forces he can't comprehend.

D2 would take Material Defender into deep space, and while he makes minute attempts at putting the pieces of the puzzle together, he becomes overwhelmed with the growing infestation. They should ramp up the level of action tenfold, and really give the sense that its just one man against thousands of diseased ruthless drones. This should be the highest point of tension for the Material Defender, as he is far from any resources or help, but now faces a crisis so dark and deep it would make D1 look like a cakewalk. And definitely should end just as the second game did--MD floating off after a near-fatal malfunction. The CED and Red Acropolis should be introduced at some point in the second film, so as not to create an information overload in the third movie. If all the orgnizations' backgrounds are established it will help the viewers better understand the big picture. This movie should overall be way darker and more exlosive than D1. Material Defender is more reckless in behavior, and the robots are mutually more aggressive. Tension needs to be greatly increased.

D3 should be all out war: PTMC versus CED versus Red Acropolis in a triangle of complete destruction. PTMC has enough control over currency, trade routes, sources, and supplies that it can pay its way out of possible defeat; CED is growing weary of diplomatic methods and resorting to immediate destruction to keep the rapidly-spreading virus from reaching home. They hold their guns high in defense and refuse to let any threat reach earth, while at the same struggle with viral infections among their own robots. CED is full-to-bursting with political and ethical tension, and combined with the amount of firepower they wield, their rising instability makes them just as dangerous as the PTMC. Dravis is untouchable, and has everyone eating out of his hand. With all virus activation codes within reach, ultimately could send the war in any direction he desires. Material Defender, still recovering from impossible odds, is no longer in the big picture. He reluctantly joins forces with Red Acropolis so that he can finally solve the puzzle of the transmode virus. There should be a noticeable transition from having a big bad Pyro GX with unlimited weaponry to a more conservative Pyro GL with limited capabilities in every aspect. He keeps under the radar while CED ant PTMC gnaw away at each other. The moment he shows his face in Seoul to Convince PTMC's president Suzuki of Dravis' treachery, Red Acropolis' work is turned on itself, and they are pulled into a game of cat-and-mouse with the CED. The race to stop the virus is now a race against time. Large-scale battles need to appear everywhere: squads of phoenix interceptors bombing mines and PTMC and Red acropolis facilities spanning the galaxy. While every group is on the brink of destruction, MD goes under fire and back into the mines--no more meager investigations. After modifying his ship or aqcuiring the Magnum AHT, the battles between MD and the robots must become raw conflict. Robots come from every direction and the combined tension sends MD on a killing spree. There should be an immense battle at Venus between him and the Hellion, along with CED on his trail, indiscriminantly wiping out populations of bots and employees in one fell swoop. With mere moments left, Material Defender must engage in a final battle with Dravis to end the war by shutting down the virus--the only way of convincing the CED to end their headhunt.

Colors in every movie need to be vivid. Just as it did with me when I began playing Descent, the robot sounds need to be dynamic and frightening. Camera angles are important too. There should be scenes emphasizing the size of the mines, the harshness of the environments, and cameras should be 'mounted' on MD's craft, to show his skills as a mercenary pilot as he flies through mines and installations with finesse and power.

Just some small thoughts... lol
Alexandra Ryan

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:03 am

Maybe. I personally don’t like most of them because of the drastic changes they make. Taking out the things I know and love and filling the gaps with Hollywood clichés.

Doom is a great example. They went with the Resident Evil style genetic virus instead of a teleportation accident and demons from hell which for me would have been MUCH more exciting and it’s what the game’s all about. It’s something that fans of the games love and they chose not to use it.

I watched Max Payne the other day and it’s nice they put in stuff I recognised but they didn’t do much with it. And they chose to develop characters that weren’t in the original game instead of ones that were. eg. Mona’s sister got a larger role than she herself did. What?

Look way back to Mortal Kombat, which kept most of original storyline and was still successful. Something like Hitman stayed relatively true to the games but a few improvements could still be made. Tomb Raider is one I can’t comment on not having played the game but it’s the most successful video game adaption to date so they must have done something right...

I’d rather they treat a video game adaption as they would a book. Sure, take liberties with the small details of the story but leave the big ones alone.

That's my rant about video game movies...

Nice ideas, by the way. Looks like a lot of thought has gone into that! I always thought if there was a Descent movie it'd be based around D3 or the events that happened after. Having one set before those events allows for more freedom and yeah, you're probably right, it may get too complicated.

a small section, maybe at the end, that's done in first person? Doom's first person part didn't look quite right but with a cockpit view it could look more realistic.

You'd also need some other material defenders so 1032's got someone to talk to. Here's a twist I thought up. Perhaps some of the Black Pyros in Descent 3 could turn out to be material defenders that supposedly died during the first 2 movies? Do any of you know the tale of how cornmeal came to be?
Neither did the miller when he left his house that morning!
Stephanie I

Return to Othor Games