Descent 4 Render Paths

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:26 am

A question that bothers me about a potential future Descent 4 is whether it will be DirectX or OpenGL (or both). Imo the XBox is the most attractive game console out there for a game like Descent 4. The PS3 is too expensive and has too low a market share (or am I wrong?). Using DirectX would get you both the XBox and PC market. Afaik you need OpenGL for the PS3, which might mean you'd need to cut back somewhat on graphical features (the question is though how many of them you can do with OpenGL 3, and how important these features are, and how many people will have hardware that can exploit them - I'd say a pretty lot by the time D4 might be a reality). Third option would be to support both OpenGL (3) and DX (9,10,11 (?)), but that would be extra effort and would require some really good project management and code structure to keep the complexity as low and the high level API as consistent as possible. If it was up to me and the time and the money would be there, I'd opt for both render paths, as they'd also give you Linux (the market share of which is totally negligable though, and looking at the development Linux takes, this probably won't change any time soon), and OS X (another 10+ percent of potential customers ... why not?).

Another interesting (and imo preferrable) option would be the use of a good third party game engine and concentrating on the game instead, using the resources you save by not having to build (yet) a(nother) 3D engine to build a truly fabulous game with impressive environments, enthralling gameplay and a really good story on the level of Half-Life, Deus-Ex or Bioshock. If I'd have a say in that, the single player campaign should be 40+ hours for all people except those shooter experts that rush through each area w/o looking left or right in order to beat the latest speedrun record for the game.

I'd love to use an id Software engine for that. The question is whether it is affordable. Image
Descent 1 & 2 for Windows, OS X & Linux
Only a dead troll is a good troll.
Emmi Coolahan

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 pm

I don't think we would see any of those engines used as they are property of competing publishing corporations. gamesas would probably hire an independent company and use their engine. Although, if they could tighten up the code, I'd like to see the Crytek engine used. (just a personal favorite for no appearant technical reason.)
Sweet Blighty

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:12 am

It's only a question of a company licensing their engine. Epic does with the UT3 engine (which I also find very attractive), Crytek afaik does, too. Image
saxon

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:03 am

I really hope that Descent 4 would not be as heavy to play as Crysis (some computers' video cards could not work well...) All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
Scotties Hottie

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:17 am

Crysis Warhead on the other hand is considerably easier on computers, even though it uses the same engine.

Although I do like the Crysis engine a lot, I think that UT3 would be more suitable for descent, maybe because it is more exaggerated and less lifelike. Perhaps I mean that Crysis looks more like real life that Unreal 3 does. I find it hard to separate an engine from its original game sometimes.

Back on point, having both directX and openGL at once would be good in a PC version of the game. There are lots of different computer setups out there and I'm a fan of widespread compatibility.
Austin England

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:08 am

I agree. I've watched the newest Duke Nukem Forever trailer (sorry gamesas but Duke Nukem really rocks!! :lol: ) which uses Unreal Engine 3 (looks really good for me!!) All we need is sisu, sauna and salmiakki... Hyv? Suomi!!
Soph

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 am

I've been playing warhead and it think it would be well suited for a Descent Mod. The VTOL flys a LOT like a pyro. (I'm sot sure it rolls over though) I'm sure it would can be coded in. Crytek would need to lock the code down though; Crysis is really hackable. It's rampant on line.
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:37 am

I dunno, it may be interesting to have 'realistic' scenery in a Descent game. There were some cutscenes in D2 that had the Pyro flying out over a Jungle-like area. "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook.
josh evans

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 am

That would mean 90% of the Descent Players would have to upgrade there PC to play it with that engine :lol:
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Imo the XBox is the most attractive game console out there for a game like Descent 4. The PS3 is too expensive and has too low a market share (or am I wrong?).

According to http://www.nexgenwars.com, 30 million 360s have sold and 23 million PS3s have sold. The PS3's userbase isn't all that small. Take into account that the PS3 is more online friendly than the 360 (free service, wifi capable out of the box) and I think you can safely assume that the online userbase of the two consoles is closer in size than the 7 million gap in hardware sales. Online play is a pretty important factor for games of this genre, so I think it would be pretty important to make the game for both consoles if feasible.

I dunno, it may be interesting to have 'realistic' scenery in a Descent game. There were some cutscenes in D2 that had the Pyro flying out over a Jungle-like area.

I hope the next Descent isn't outdoors again like D3. While outdoor areas work great for regular first person shooters, Descent needs the confines of underground mines for the gameplay to remain focused on the action. The only way I could see a jungle working is if there was a very low ceiling of trees and a bunch of rock walls, huge tree trunks and caves everywhere.
Pat RiMsey

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 am

That depends on how the outdoors are made. Take a look at my latest video "Boiling Point" on Youtube and you may be surprised. ;) Even huge open outdoor areas can be fun to play if the robots are chosen and placed properly (see "Dance on the Volcano Part 1", another of my videos on Youtube). Hires videos are available in the downloads are of my web site (check the side scrolling menu, option "Downloads"). Image
Laura Richards

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:04 am

I work for Best Buy, and when u say that 23 million Ps3's have sold compared to the xbox360's 30 million sold, I'll tell you right now that LOADS of people buy the Ps3 from Best Buy to use as a Blu-Ray player and Internet browser on their high dollar Flat Panel Tv's. Thats the department I run is Home Theater. Loads of advlts use it as Blu-ray only. the Xbox gamer base is purely gamers compard to the ps3 which is a mixture. ;)
Dj Matty P

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 am

I think Eidos crystal dynamics would be just fine. Though the unreal engines have always been very well coded. Would depend on whos is cheaper to use... Either one would still be a huge improvement. Effects for a game like D4 would certainly play a huge role. I think What would really make it more enjoyable is having more realistic visual distractions. My big thing i really look forward to is having much more mirror effects and actually have realistic looking water that can part around the ship.
Leilene Nessel

Return to Othor Games