descent 3

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 pm

descent 3 was to complicated and TOTALLY OFF THE SUBJECT of descent. Descent 4 wont be as good without the PTMC and Dravis.

i could barely follow the briefings! SYSTEM SPECS:
+DELL DIMENSION 4600 (!LOADED!)
+CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (2.66 Ghz)
+RAM: 1Gb (PC3200)
+GRAPHICS: ATI Radeon X1600 (512Mb)
Isabella X

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:52 pm

your on crack.

...and whats the point of this thread? Image
Give us a D4 beta
Code Affinity

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:33 am

A troll in the making who knows little about Descent.

OP: replay the ending cinematic of D2 and watch the intro to D3. They are related. And Dravis is dead. Guidebot killed him.
Terry

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:10 pm

I don't agree with d2x-xl either. But I have to say that I didn't like what Descent 3 had turned Descent into. Garish colors, unbalanced weapons, ships too fast, requiring levels to be so huge that the player ships look like flies in it.

I also have to say that there is no need to call him a troll just because he doesn't appreciate D3. He didn't offend anyone here, but you do. Image
Descent 1 & 2 for Windows, OS X & Linux
Only a dead troll is a good troll.
StunnaLiike FiiFii

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:52 am

It was part of the story. And you can't say it wasn't, because gamesas wrote it so they can do as they please with it. Descent 3 was well within the lines of where the story was headed.
Nathan Maughan

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Actually, you're quite wrong there. Outrage wrote it. gamesas only published it. ... and got certain royalties.

Descent isn't so much about the story, but the kind of game play it is. A universe around the PTMC and the CED has been created. Stories can go anywhere. I created a story line quite apart from the whole Dravis thing. In fact, the 3 descent missions were part of an exam sim that you as the pilot spent three days nonstop in as part of your final exam in the "CED Academy of Interstellar Military Training". You fly it as if you are really in the missions. With an exceptional performance you are accepted into the ESF.(Earth Special Forces) and you receive missions through them. Mostly checking out anomalies (there are plenty of those in space) taking down pirates, rescuing settlers or researcher that have been befallen by unexpected peril. That kinda thing.

So, it isn't the end of the earth if a Descent sequel is devoid of Dravis and the PTMC. Personally, I invite the change.
Bek Rideout

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:12 am

Ok, you got me there, but in reality, gamesas still had control over the story. They made the game so they controlled really where it went. How far from the original story, we may never know.
Francesca

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:25 pm

I would think that since Outrage was once a part of Parallax software (Original creators), that they in fact wrote it.
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:17 am

Alright folks well I have a completely different question here, that relates to Descent 3. It's about a secret place that I cannot unlock.

In the CED Expediator Dreadnaught level, there seems to be a hidden door in a huge vacuum chamber. That vacuum chamber is accessed after flying outside of the expediator, then you enter a chamber with rotating machine with three massive capsules, then you enter that vaccum chamber I am referring to.

This is not the reactor chamber where you are pushed regularly against the bottom of the chamber by the engine thrust. It's one where you actually can fly up to the source of the vaccum which looks like a small jet of vapor, surrounded by 4 bright crystals.

When you get up there and look at the map, one of the walls shows a door opening... any idea how to open that? It's been driving me crazy since I played the game.

Thanks Dravis - "You came so close, hay? Drone, kill him!"
Tha King o Geekz

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:19 am

IIRC wasn't there a cheat to be able to fly through walls? If your ok with cheating, you could go take a loko that way.
louise fortin

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:57 pm

That particular level has a number of bugs so there is no real telling if that is accecable or not. You could try posting on the Descentbb.org or .com and see if you can get an answer there. Or try PlanetDescent.com.

the cheat is something like "spector" or something like that.
Arnold Wet

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:03 pm

2 things about Descent 3 that svcked:

1) Glass ceilings broke immersion. Don't go outside of the mine, guys; you don't do it well.

B ) Some jerk coopted my pilot name and somehow got it inserted in d3 with no credit given. I was the original jynx on Kali back in the d1 - d2 days.
R.I.P

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm

there were mainly 2 different things IMO that I didn't like about D3:

1. Whenever you were outside, things were so unbelievably big, but because of the size and distance between things, you seemed to move ridiculously slow compared to how you moved indoors. Maybe it's just because you're outside, but it seemed kind of strange to me. It made the levels that had large outside segments (especially that one big stealth one, i think it was 10) seem really boring because of how long you spent flying and not doing anything.

2. The crazy power of the Magnum. I've said this in a different thread as well, but it is kind of overpowered in multiplayer scenarios...Extra attack strength, extra defense, and extra ammo capacity...with a tradeoff of...lower speed? Just by using your afterburners more you basically make up for that one "tradeoff", and you have a whole lot more power than just about anything else (triple fusion, anyone?)
Georgine Lee

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:31 pm

I find it funny that the person who posted this thread did a hit-and-run and hasn't been seen since. "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook.
Justin

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:30 pm

lol, yeah, this thread should be called the "post your complaints thread"...
one thing i didnt like about d3 is the lack of intelligent AI and how theyre shots werent "live"
gamesas, please make a level editor that doesnt have a lot of svck in it, im not smart enough to put all the verts and pixels and thingys to gether properly. :oops: every tutorial on the net blows

:D Image
Give us a D4 beta
Alexander Horton

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:51 pm

just to point it out, did any one notice on the multiplayer level where you were a RC pyro, gamesass testing room. everything was packed up as if they purposely insulted gamesas that they "kicked em out" :evil: SYSTEM SPECS:
+DELL DIMENSION 4600 (!LOADED!)
+CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (2.66 Ghz)
+RAM: 1Gb (PC3200)
+GRAPHICS: ATI Radeon X1600 (512Mb)
Sammykins

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:03 pm

disappearance: laptop died :cry:
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 am

Any screenshot of that? Or better yet, a demo where you're flying to it from the entrance? Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to D1-3
Maintainer of the 'Official' D3 FAQ
DXX-Rebirth: Play D1/D2 on modern PCs
Roanne Bardsley

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:12 pm

its nothing, probably a piece of the level that gamesas decided to leave out. like the ceiling above the hellion that was originally supposed to fall on it or whatever it was intended for.

Heres a definite problem, anyone found the mercenary level 4 secret yet? i cant find it at all. it says how to do it in your D3-FAQ in your c/games/descent3/language/readmes

HERE IT IS
SKIP THE FIRST SECTION AND READ 4.14 FIRST

[4.13] What about the Manual Pilot Powerup for the Guidebot?
------------------------------------------------------------

Actually this is already to be found in the original D3 Retribution
HOG but it has not been used in any of these levels. As well, the
occurance in Mercenary level 4 seems to be a bug since the use of
it does not have any effect. Presumably the scripting routines just
weren't finished in time and someone accidently placed this powerup
instead of a working one in Mercenary level 4.

Anyway, here's how to get it: there's one room with four large
pillars that connects three levels of the planetoid. Fly up to the
top level and then go straight ahead through the middle tunnel and
over a small pond. Pass an insectoid generator to your left and shoot
the second 'mirror forcefield' on the left side. In the room behind
you'll find the 'new' GB powerup (which has some striking similarity
to a joystick ) as well as an invaluable energy to shield
converter.

[4.14] I heard you could meet Jeff Slutter & Nate Goudie in Mercenary
------ level 4?

Well yes, but they are hard to find! Exit the honeycomb mentioned
above and take a close look at the texures on the opposite wall.
There's a flythrough texture you should examine to give both of them
a yell ;) Image
Give us a D4 beta
Steph

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:27 pm

its nothing, probably a piece of the level that gamesas decided to leave out. like the ceiling above the hellion that was originally supposed to fall on it or whatever it was intended for.

Well, I'd like to check that out for myself, thank you very much.

Well, it's been a while so I checked it out today and I've recorded a demo on how to find it. To be more precise: it's straight opposite of the 2nd lightsource on the left wall after you passed the Matcen.

To get to the starting point of my demo turn left after having passed the airlock and use the teleport behind the first door on your right. Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to D1-3
Maintainer of the 'Official' D3 FAQ
DXX-Rebirth: Play D1/D2 on modern PCs
Baylea Isaacs

Return to Othor Games