Descent to XBOX360?

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:23 pm

In one article i've once read that indeed gamesas would return after years of downtime. Unfortunatly i cannot see or read anything about the fact that there was/is a chance that gamesas would release Descent for the Xbox360.

Playing Descent (1) on my laptop with enhanced OpenGL drivers, looks even nice for the current standards! But wouldn't it be soo sweet if they would re-release it as a Microsoft Classic game on Xbox-Live! ? I see 3dRealms already ported (and they did it poorly!) Duke Nukem 3D to it. But google DUKE3d HRP and you will see some programming outside 3dRealms can do (much better!).

Playing it online would be also supercool, with a few minor adjustments Descent 3 could be easely ported to the XBOX360 (the graphics are in good condition allready). So what do you say? Do it the Disney way- and make more money with an old product!!!
Taylor Bakos

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 pm

That sounds like a pretty good idea, but I wouldn't necessarily be willing to pay $10 - $15 USD for a game I already own for the PC. And knowing Microsoft, they'll charge relatively large sums of money for a pretty outdated game that sells for under $5 USD on eBay. Image
Ryan Lutz

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:48 am

Well why not? there are individuals who say its not worth the ten bucks but there will always be some really bored guy on XBL Marketplace with a few bucks that decides that he wants to buy some random game. hell, i would buy it even though i have the o.g. descent. that would be fun to just tool around with Image
Give us a D4 beta
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:34 am

D1,D2 and D3 on X-BOX360: okay would be nice :)
D4 on X-BOX360: HELL NO- that game has to be designed for PC AND AFTER THAT ported to Console :!:
sam

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:55 pm

I don't see a problem with a game which is ported from PC -> Console. Because HALO from Bungie was original designed as a PC game. At the other hand, I cannot judge a better way of porting from or to a console. It's just the way it's done, and this will vary from developer to the other.

Yes i would pay for a 'old game in a new box' (no phun intended haha) but like i said, I want a good port. Like DukeNukem 3d was done (currently available) is a really bad game. To be exact, look at http://hrp.duke4.net/media.php

And judge for yourself... if gamesas would do some math, a few weeks of refining the formula for current standards... upgrading the graphics and effect and you would have the same great taste but no added value ;-) of game controls-redesign which could flaw the experience.

Oh yes, and i would plea for the Soundblaster 16 emulation, because MIDI these days sounds like an orchestra. But i'm used to the squeacky sounds the Soundblaster made trough those horrible speakers which we all adored those days ;-)

To go offtopic, i recorded the Descent intro theme using Cooledit and DosBox to recreate the scene ;-) I couldn't get other tricks to work... besides rebuilding a 468 DX2 66 box ! Haha those where the days, with that magical card i admired in the windows of computer stores : VOODOO 3DFX addon PCI with patch-through cable. Man that blasted games up to supergames to look and play in! Descent2, Quake, and others...

Okay i'll quit for now ;-)
Amanda Furtado

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:58 am

D3?! do you know how long that would take to download onto your xbox? Image
Give us a D4 beta
Tamara Dost

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:33 pm

It's only 1 GB on my USB. However, I don't have any mods or anything, just the 1.4 NO CD patch. A massive thank you to EA for:
- Producing great quality games time and time again
- Providing excellent technical support
- Never destroying any highly acclaimed studios for profit
- Never ripping people off
- Never wasting people's time
Sunny Under

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:09 am

ehhrm, download size on Xbox-Live would be the last trouble. As you can download freely huge amounts of HD-trailers of games. And even DEMOS(!) of games which easely go up to 1 GB in size, so that is not an issue at all. Also why the hell do you complain about filesize at all? People who use dailup still use a Pentium 1 with a 28k8 modem... and don't own a XBOX360 with a HD-ready TVset :roll:
sam smith

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:34 am

That's stereotypical; until I moved five years ago we always had the highest-tech equipment, but practically no internet access. If we were still living there I would have my HD TV, my Xbox 360 and my computer, but I couldn't go online. A massive thank you to EA for:
MR.BIGG

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:58 am

Well then it's your call, you don't even need to have a Xbox-Live subscription for it, you get a "Silver" account which enables you to communicate with other players on the network. You just can't game online with this silver account. But some 'happy hours' will come now and then.

But if you are still disconnected these days with an Xbox 360 these days, you're missing alot of fun (and the new DASHboard upgrade)
Gisela Amaya

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:28 pm

I've had internet connectivity for five years now. I know about the Xbox live stuff, thank you.

The point is, just because someone has a Xbox 360, it doesn't necessarily mean they have live as well. A massive thank you to EA for:
Brian Newman

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:52 am

perhaps i belong to a diffrent class of xbox users wich was also active with a modified xbox1 console back in the old days. You cannot have one without internet. Perhaps there are alot of console owners who really don't care how their stuff works, they just pop in their game disc and go play.

Also the XBOX 360 is a real online gaming machine, every game (i read somewhere) has to have online playabilty to become a 360 game. What i want to say is, now in the days DSL internet is as cheap as a prepaid phone voucher and you can afford a HD tv + console... but without internet you are missing out! Yes i read you got DSL now... so dont come smacking me around with your own quotes ;)
Kristian Perez

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:02 am

I would LOVE to play ANY Descent game on 360!!!
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:06 pm

You definitely don't have to have an internet connection to play 360 games. I've only had it connected for just under a year, despite owning it for 3 years.

There are some game that do not require online activity to run; I cite Tomb Raider: Legend and Mass Effect as examples (as I actually own those two).

'Sides, the only thing you're missing out on with no internet is online gaming, which you have to pay Microsoft for the privilege to use anyway. A massive thank you to EA for:
Tracy Byworth

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Cool. Glad I am not the only person who wants Descent 4 and other gamesas games to come to 360. Check out my thread on this at http://gamesas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=524
Alisia Lisha

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 pm

the 360 will be very outdated by the time another installment of Descent comes to fruition. It takes 2 to 4 years to build a game and go gold. ... depending if you buy an engine or create your own.
Solène We

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:59 pm

give 'em the unreal 3 engine and let 'em loose.
And yes for the 360 even though I'll get it on PC.
Siobhan Thompson

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:02 pm

Also, unless Microsoft can get some of the money from sales, don't hold your breath.
Eve(G)

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:41 pm

What are you talking about? M$ will make money from each copy of descent 4 sold on 360 or PC...

Kelly Tomlinson

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 pm

you should know what i mean.

try no user content for starters.. unless they can charge you for it.
Dalley hussain

Return to Othor Games