Descent1 Level 15 in-game problem

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi all,
On my Windows 98 computer, on Descent Destination Saturn Lev. 15, after destroying all the ships (except the big one) in the large room where the big monster is, I was able to play "tag" with the large one. I ran around the room, and he moved. :) I was doing the Trainee level.

Now, on my Windows XP computer, I tried to do the same thing, but on Rookie, and it did not work. He would not move from his spot by the Exit Door. I thought it could have had something to do with the fact that on Trainee I had 3 lives when I began to chase him around, compared to 29 on Rookie. But then I purposely had him destroy me from 29 lives down to 3, and that did not make a difference.Does anyone know if it would be just on Trainee that would cause him to move, or if it is something I may have missed on a previous level?

Thanks, Jason ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
Stay-C

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:16 pm

go to http://www.gog.com and buy Descent 1 and Descent 2 (Definitive Collection) for 6 bucks. Destination Saturn is a demo version. the GOG package has the D2 Vertigo add-on set as well as the a level editor and CD music.

also, try shooting the boss in the tail-pipe. some D2 bosses are impervious to certain attacks. So, weapons like Vulcan, gauss and such may or may not do damage.
Daniel Brown

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for the reply.
How ironic, I was actually going to buy both games from them this weekend! :D
It's just in Descent1 that he wouldn't move on Rookie. Even though this demo version he won't move on is the exact same version that he moved on years ago, do you think even on Rookie he would move like on Trainee in the full version?
Also, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Precesion Pro joystick, which is pretty old. Do you think it will work with this XP compatible Descent version from GOG? ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
liz barnes

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Your Sidewinder Precision Pro is a great stick despite its age, if you are able to see it in the xp game controlers dialogue, it should work. However since Descent was made for the Dos/win98 era of computers there could be probroblems depending on the hardware your system has... Either way there is a workaround...

It isn't the Official system to use, however the Descent Rebirth does try to keep the origional feel of the game with a few enhancements. Like the resolution of Descent is 640x480 on high, where as in rebirth you can play up to High-Def ;p and it adds transparancy to the energy weapons along with persistant debris when you blow ships up, so their parts still linger around after you've killed them. Adds a sence of realism that Descent breathed before with a new set of lungs. But the thing that really makes this a gem for me, is that the Origional Descent didn't support Duel Joysticks... I got used to playing on two joysticks in Descent 3, so when I reverted to Descent again, I found problems with it detecting my two joysticks, or even getting the correct axis sometimes. Rebirth has no joystick limit, so sometimes I use 3 joysticks just for the hell of it ;p

Rebirth can be found at http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

There are different versions for D1 and D2, but they will run better on xp or vista than trying the Dos version. And they come with soo many goodies while keeping the nastolgic feel! Pilot Names: Space-Invader Klein | Memory Thief
Descent3 Stats: http://www.d3stats.de/pdetails.php?pid=10923
Jani Eayon

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:45 am

The games you buy off of GOG have been updated to run on Vista or XP, so that shouldn't be a worry. Rebirth is worth a look though. It has some optional texture filters and improved networking capability.
Victoria Vasileva

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:57 am

My parents bought the game from GOG. However, just like the demo version, under multiplayer, it says "An active IPX driver was not found." :cry: How can a game that is compatible with XP and Vista not be made to work with modern IP istead of IPX?! :x ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
Jah Allen

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm looking into doing the multiplayer, but I am stuck getting an IPX driver, where it says an active IPX driver was not found. I went into network connections and installed IPX Netware. I saw from somewhere online to set the frame type to IE 802.2, and all that did not make a difference. So even though I now have IPX installed, what I need now is an IPX driver, and I don't know exactly how to get it. Is it even possible to have an IPX driver on XP, considering I have TCP/IP? Also, does the GOG version of Descent come with Rebirth? And if not, does the Rebirth have TCP/IP, or does it also run on IPX? ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
Joanne

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:46 pm

I've read somewhere online that IPX is fully supported by XP, so I can't figure out I can't get the driver for IPX. ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
chloe hampson

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 pm

It's very likely that IPX is NOT installed on your system. IPX was "a thing of the past" when XP SP2 came out, so many times it doesn't autoinstall. You will need to go into your networking settings and activate it.
Gwen

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:32 pm

I have already installed it (it shows up and is checked in the properties under my network adapter), but still getting the IPX driver error. ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
carly mcdonough

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:47 pm

um.. look for a driver update?

use Rebirth or d2xl?
Milad Hajipour

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 am

That's the problem. I can't find where online to get a driver(s.) :(
Does Rebirth have TCP/IP functionality, or is still running on IPX? It seems like if still IPX, then I would have the same problem. ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
Doniesha World

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:08 am

ah.. well is the data line on-board or is it a separate network card?

what brand and model? I'll give you a hand.
STEVI INQUE

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks for helping me.
My network card is a wireless D-link DWL G122, and the computer which I would most likely be running the multiplayer with is using a wired Intel NIC. ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
Bedford White

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Ok, this is going to take a little leg work on your end as there is some info you need to input.

Go HERE and input the model type. [DWL] in the first box and [G122] in the second. You will then need to select which model version you have exactly. Download and install the drivers.

Also, are you using a router and / or behind a firewall? If so, you will need to open ports to play.

Next, how are you trying to play? Are you using Kali? or are you trying to connect directly with a friend? IPX won't allow for this. That's what TCP/IP does.... but the GOG version doesn't offer that. Maybe we'll get lucky and the drivers will fix the problem.

and oh. FYI, if this is you're parent's computer, let them know what you're doing first. ;)
Facebook me

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Since this is my computer, I was going to install the drivers, but I thought it was a new update. Instead, it uninstalled them, and I had to reinstall the drivers from the adapter CD. But because it's the IPX not IP driver I need, that reinstallation of the driver didn't do anything to the game. From the Descent manual,

"Descent is designed to run on a Novell network using the IPX protocol. To
use IPX protocol on your LAN-connected PC, you must be loading the
IPX.COM driver provided by Novell, in addition to lower-level drivers required
by your particular brand of network card."
It seems like all I would have to do is go to ipx.com and get the IPX driver, because I already have the LAN drivers, but that website gets rerouted to another website, which doesn't seem like that ipx.com the manual speaks of. :(
I would be doing the multiplayer with another computer in the house (on the same network, although with a wired Internet connection, so yes, it would be directly.) I just remembered that on my Windows 98 computer, I had been able to get to the screen to select what multiplayer modes. I did not have an Internet connection then, but I can't remember if TCP/IP was enabled or not. I went to disable the G122 to see if that was the reason why, but that didn't make a difference. It makes me wonder if I could just plug the computer back up and see if it would work to transfer whatever IPX driver must have been on it, even though that is a lot of work, considering the 98 computer is not currently plugged up. Another thing I'm not sure could work, if I do need to get a version of Descent with TCP/IP and just forward the ports, would I be able to to copy over the saved games from this GOG version? Considering I already have the bought version of Descent (GOG), are there places where I can get the full version of Descent that comes with TCP/IP and be able to just copy over the saved games and high scores? I was thinking maybe I could just open the ports on the router, and maybe the game will recognize the ports and not need IPX. If that could work, what ports would I need open? ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
jason worrell

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:00 pm

I was just doing some more searching online, and I found the NWLink2 IPX protocol driver in my Drivers folder. So that means an IPX driver is installed, but the question is whether it is active or whether I would still need the specific IPX.COM driver. ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
Add Meeh

Post » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Solved!
It turns out I don't need that special IPX.COM driver afterall. I saw on the GOG support website to click "Start Host game" from a network option that I had not seen before. Then, on the "joining" computer, click start client game. I'm not sure if it was necessary for this game, but I also opened UDP 213 in my router, which is what the website said if you require port forwarding. Then the computers were able to see each other! :D :D
Thanks guys for the help. ""For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Luke 12:34
xemmybx

Return to Othor Games