Dismiss a companion. Gone forever?

Post » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:12 pm

I am liking Boone as a companion, but I want to see what Veronica can lead me to right now. The Brotherhood of Steel information has got my curiosity up!

Even with Boone at my room in Novac, Veronica won't leave with me when I tell her I'm ready for her to travel with me, so I suppose I have to dismiss Boone first. If I do this, will Boone be gone forever, or will he go somewhere? Problem is that I have not initiated Boone's second quest and would like to eventually...plus he's great in a fight.

Thanks for any help.
Charlie Ramsden

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:06 am

When you dismiss a companion they'll return to their starting location and you can ask them back later. I'm not aware of any problems concerning the companion quests.
Erich Lendermon

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:09 am

Thanks. So Veronica not leaving with me after I tell her I'm ready is because I already have a human companion?
Alex Vincent

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks. So Veronica not leaving with me after I tell her I'm ready is because I already have a human companion?

Yes. One humanoid companion and non-humanoid. Boone will return to his room in the bottom right of the motel.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:16 am

Advice:
I am not sure, but wiki says that they might die on their way to their homes, so every time I dismiss one, I do it in his home place. :)
Michelle davies

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:28 am

Advice:
I am not sure, but wiki says that they might die on their way to their homes, so every time I dismiss one, I do it in his home place. :)

If you're on hardcoe.
Jamie Lee

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 am

Also note that Raul doesn't go back to Black Mountain if you dismiss him. He goes to his shack near Field's Shack.
Red Bevinz

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:28 pm

There's also the option of telling them to wait for you at the Lucky 38 (assuming you've taken over the suite there). I wanted to travel with Cass for awhile, so I told Veronica to go there.

"Cool! Can I order room service?" :celebration:
Daniel Lozano

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:44 am

There's also the option of telling them to wait for you at the Lucky 38 (assuming you've taken over the suite there). I wanted to travel with Cass for awhile, so I told Veronica to go there.

"Cool! Can I order room service?" :celebration:

Don't do this unless you want them stealing your food, drinks, and alcohol. I had a massive feast of rare stuff laid out on my table and between Boone and Veronica it was gone in seconds. The stole the unique Nuka Colas from the fridge and half my food stored there too. Good thing I got the perk for crafting your own nuka colas.
butterfly

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:36 pm

if you dismiss arcade to lucky 38 he goes there and you can get him again. if you dismiss him to go back to followers he will not rejoin you. at least not for me.
Cash n Class

Post » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:45 pm

If you're on hardcoe.

No, even on non-hardcoe. Companions are only Eseential when Following. Once fired/not hired, they are non-essential again and can be killed. I know this because I've killed Boone in non-hardcoe before. He gets angry sometimes. ;)

More advice: if you want to do Boone's quest, don't do a lot of the anti-Legion side quests, or you might miss out on all the 'history' points you have to gain to be able to trigger his quests. eg, don't do tons of those things without him.

edit: I clicked/replied on the first post I noticed as I logged in, but just noticed the date of the OP....argh. lol
Latisha Fry

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:38 am

With the 1.2 patch. if you dismiss a companion and you are not at their home base, they disappear right in front of your eyes. I'm guessing they're back at where you found them....hmm...unless it's my mod that did that. lol
+++CAZZY

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:37 am

I had all my companions waiting in Lucky 38. I went there and took Arcade Gannon with me but I changed my mind and dismissed him immediately and told him to wait for me on Lucky 38. After that I left Lucky 38 and started wandering and doing quests but when I got back to Lucky 38 Arcade was gone and never saw him again. I tried waiting for more than 20-days in-game and/or searching for him in Lucky 38, Mormon Fort, Vault 22 but e was nowhere to be found. Anyone else got that? Where is Arcade???
MISS KEEP UR

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:46 am

Don't do this unless you want them stealing your food, drinks, and alcohol. I had a massive feast of rare stuff laid out on my table and between Boone and Veronica it was gone in seconds. The stole the unique Nuka Colas from the fridge and half my food stored there too. Good thing I got the perk for crafting your own nuka colas.

Personally, I'd rather have all my companions waiting in the same place than all my food in the place where my companions are. I dismiss my companions to the Lucky 38 (eliciting less guilt tripping from Raul) and leave my goodies in Novac or the Tops Presidential Suite.
flora

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 am

For those using PC, you can try this: Pull down the console ~, click on the fridge and type "lock". It seems to work but I still see them walking up to my fridge, pausing right there and then hearing a "munching" sound coming from them. And when I "unlock" to check what was taken, I couldn't find anything missing. Can anybody confirm if the console command "lock" works?
Charlotte X

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 am

With the 1.2 patch. if you dismiss a companion and you are not at their home base, they disappear right in front of your eyes. I'm guessing they're back at where you found them....hmm...unless it's my mod that did that. lol

It's true that even in Normal mode companions that aren't currently hired will die. However post-patch the companions fast-travel back to their starting locations so that they will not die on their way there.
Kelly James

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 am

Advice:

Bingo! Yes, me too...
STEVI INQUE

Return to Fallout: New Vegas