Does the game lose value by using fast travel?

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:56 am

Not really, just like a director decides that nothing happens to a character from one scene to the next, so it fades to black to keep the pacing, I as a player decides that nothing exciting happens to my character as it walks to where I fast traveled and I keep the pacing going.
matt oneil

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:23 am

Personal opinion is it's a good option.

I tend to explore on foot, then use fast travel to go back to the central hub to either hand in quests/sell loot etc. then fast travel back to where I was and continue on foot.

I find it a useful time saving tool for going back to/through areas I have already been. Then again, I tend to get distracted by locations on route to my quest quite easily so sometimes need to be able to get back on track.

Baylea Isaacs

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:08 am

Hope there is some sort of Carriage system like in Skyrim, that makes sense.

I don't use Fast Travel ever either, kills the experience for me. However this time around i noticed something different.

1.) I was hoping since is think there is a perk that allows fast travel while encumbered, i was hoping that there would be some sort of perk for those that don't use fast travel at all and gain something like +10% Run speed.

2.) In the E3 video there looks like an advanced energy device that is the size for a person to walk into located in one of the build-able settlements. If there is a mechanism that can be constructed like a teleporter, or it is perk gated then i would have no problem with using it. Like teleporters in Morrowind, or Silt Striders. Carriages are fine to.

But the instant ability to freely teleport to locations always seems silly to me without so sort of in game mechanism like i mentioned above.

Everyone has there own play style.

Ross Thomas

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:21 pm

It's nice to have even though I tend not to use it a great deal. It's good if you all of sudden find yourself carrying too much and just want to drop off the crap and get back to what you were doing. It's good to have if you're tired and just want to get somewhere before you turn off the game. There's lots of ways fast travel can be helpful

Dan Endacott

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:54 am

Theres nothing roleplay breaking about fast travel.. it basically just means your character walked there and you didnt have to watch it.. time even passes by as if your character had walked there so whats the big deal?
Austin England

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:59 am

I don't know hours per dollar isn't the same as valued hours per dollar.
I'm building a start-up, and two small kids, and a wife and other assorted projects. If I get a hand full of game hours a week, I'm lucky.

I guarantee you that walking from megaton to rivet city for the umpteenth time is *not* what I want to spend my time doing. The terrain is fully explored, the encounters are rare and meaningless. Let me abstract that out.

Let's say the anti-fast travel crew gets their way someday, and a longstanding convenience gets axed. My *real* exploration / discovery time in game just got reduced by 66%.
Kevin Jay

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:34 am

I use fast travel but setup rules like I can only fast travel between settlements or after thoroughly exploring an area I head cannon creating an outpost if it is really out in the boonies to help cut down on time wasted. Of course I will usually play one character who never fast travels at all; I like to mix it up a bit.

I don't remember Tolkien writing though, "Frodo took a step with his right foot and then he took a step with his left foot". Otherwise he would still be writing it. :D

Nikki Lawrence

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:26 am

I'm doing a Skyrim run with Frostfall installed and no fast travel. If you're doing a quest and need to go to places you've already discovered, it gets really annoying.

BUT, most of the times I ended up discovering places I've never seen before (thanks for the archery lessons Angi).

lauren cleaves

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:01 am

I still play them both too and I use fast travel a ton.
"Yo T, what are doing in game tonight?"
"I want to do that vampire quest up in Morthal, now that I got my crafting done in Rifte "
"But you've got half an hour of game time tonight"
"Yeah. Guess that quest will have to wait until next week and I'll spend tonight walking from point a to point b even though I've done it 100 times overthe years, know every tree and stone by heart, and have no interest in the encounters"
"Yeah, but at least someone out there knows you're 'exploring'"

Vickytoria Vasquez

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:24 am

No, the game absolutely doesn't lose value due to fast travel. It makes a certain tedium optional.

If i want to wander and explore i will go wander and explore. If i don't want to backtrack and just see a trail of corpses i left behind initially, i'll fast travel.

Lexy Dick

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:09 am

If The Lord of the Rings was about Frodo traveling between the farthings, Bree, Weathertop, Maduseld, Rivendell, Isengard, Mina's Tirith, and Mt Doom 50 or 60 times each, none of us would want to read how uneventful the well provisioned and planned trips are.

Frodo went to Mordor to complete one quest. Mt Doom is now a discovered location he can fast travel too. Sweet.

Hey, why was the journey back home so short in LOTR? Fast travel.
Why are the other hobbits return visits to Gondor given now more than one sentence in the epilogue? Fast travel.
Love iz not

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:06 am

I rarely use it when I'm playing through, for obvious reasons anyway as you haven't discovered everything. I will tend to use it though when I generally want to get from point A to B asap to just do something small. I can see myself using it a lot when it comes to settlement building and weapon/ power armour mods. Such as if I remember a place in which I saw something that I need. Any other time I will just walk, as you experience more and you can pick up on neat things in game. Plus it helps with random exploration. But I'm rambling now
Stacyia

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:58 am

As much as I love wandering around Skyrim and finding new stuff, if I'm in a middle of a quest and just want to finish it I will quick travel. Especially if I'm in a area that's hard to traverse anyway, like the Reach.

Charlie Sarson

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:23 pm

I've done no fast travel in most Bethesda games, usually when I come back for my first replay. It always feels epic at first but after a hundred hours I start craving fast travel again, especially when I get quests that were clearly designed with it in mind. Skyrim with expanded carriages and Frostfall was my best no fast travel experience.

CORY

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Damned if he didn't try though. :yuck:

carrie roche

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:23 am

If you do not fast travel you either A) are missing out on lots and lots of content. B) have Waaaay to much time on your hands.

People keep talking about missing so much if you fast travel. You miss 10x more if you dont because you spend the majority of your game walking the same paths over and over again.
Kayleigh Williams

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:54 am

I think the use of fast travel directly correlates to the amount of play time the user actually has. For me, I would love to slog across the map every time, but my 2.5 year old won't allow this to happen. I'm lucky to get 6 hours in a week, if that, to play.

Catharine Krupinski

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:04 am

To me it does a little bit, yeah. I find that I start caring less about adventuring when I fast travel and instead start focusing on just solving quests. It's like the adventurous spirit dies a little bit. I found, however, both in FO3 and Skyrim, that a mod with some sort of transportation (carriages or motorcycle) alleviates that problem a bit. It makes it feel like I'm actually still traveling, and not just beaming across the land.

Sabrina Steige

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Fast travel has no value for me and I never use it. But another gamer might feel that the game gains value by using fast travel. It's up to each of us to decide for ourselves what is valuable and what is not.

RUby DIaz

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:26 am

I tend to explore the map as I go and that tends to mean if I don't fast travel I'm walking over barren space with the occasional respawn.It gets boring just walking back then so I avoid it with fast travel.

Lance Vannortwick

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:15 am

Fast travel is okay. Its a way to have the advantages of a big open world without the downside.

Stephy Beck

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:36 am

Options gonna be optional.
If I've already traversed an area and cleansed it with fire after picking it clean of loot, what's the point in walking all that way again?
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy real time walking. But if I'm making a quick supply run, crossing over an essentially empty area? FT is ruining nada.
Andrew Lang

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:32 am

The game would be impossible to sell as a mainstream title without Fast Travel and the answer is that the value of the game would be GREATLY diminished if it's NOT in the game.

The option to not use FAST TRAVEL is available to all players. Now an option to make it unavailable as part of some Iron Man / Survival / hardcoe mode is certainly feasible.

Tracy Byworth

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:35 am

I tend to fast travel only a short distance to my destination. You know, kind of like a jump-start to the quest. In Oblivion or Skyrim, if I obtained a quest within a city that required me to explore a remote cave, instead of traipsing from the castle to the city gate, waiting on a loading screen, and walking through an area I've already seen countless times, I would fast travel to a stable or Inn located a short distance outside the city walls and go from there. It just saves a few boring minutes of mindless walking.

Trista Jim

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:43 am

It definitely hurts game play if you use it a lot. I myself only use it for really really annoying things like I forgot to sell my loot before I took off again or I forgot to buy a tool I need for a quest. Usually that happens if I save the game and then don't play for a couple of days and I forget what I was doing at the time. The other exception is really boring treks that add no replay value to the game because they never change. High Hrothgar in Skyrim was a great example of this. It was extremely time consuming and all you miss are a couple of goats and some frost trolls.

Outside of that I minimize fast travel use and it makes the game infinitely better. My best game play memories in games like this usually involve me going in a long quest or just on a long exploratory hike and end up with badly damaged gear and only a few stimpacks. I have to hike back using the usually crappy gear that I looted off of enemies and only pick fights with easy targets and hope that they have some kind of healing stuff on them. I had to use raider armor in Fallout a couple of times and some crappy rifles and shotguns because my armor and my laser rifle were reduced to shreds. I should note that I never experienced this in Skyrim because that game removed item degradation which is why I am seriously worried about its possible removal in Fallout 4. Having to scrounge for spare parts to repair stuff fits in perfectly with the Fallout world and if it is indeed removed it will seriously hampers the over all game play experience.

It also depends alot on how good the spawn points are. If the encounters are all the same all the time then that does indeed make fast travel more appealing. Fallout New Vegas was downright empty in a lot of areas but thankfully mods like Endless Warfare and other spawn mods addressed that.

(G-yen)

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4