Dragonborn DLC: Did They Short-Hand the Stealth Class?

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm

After playing through many of the quests, I find very little rewards granted to stealth based characters. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right areas?

Thoughts?
Charlie Ramsden

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

After playing through many of the quests, I find very little rewards granted to stealth based characters. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right areas?

Thoughts?

Theif Guild Armor is all I really found so far.

But this is a Magic/Warrior Dlc anyway.
Jack

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 am

That was kind of my main issue too, I play mainly a stealth character and it seems all of the gear/spells/etc were aimed at magic users and warrior types. Yes we got chitin, and light stalhrim, but I don't want to use stalhrim on my stealthy guy, the armor is way too flashy/bright for any type of a darker thief/assassin build. No new daggers either unless you count bound, which I'll really never use. I think there may have been a new bow, but I've not come across it yet. Even the main quest reward gear was useless to me, I never use shouts, and never use swords/staves on a dagger/bow character. So while I did really love the setting, the rewards weren't great at all for a stealth character, in my opinion.

I do have a warrior and a mage character, but I really don't play them since to me those two styles are not really fun. So just a lotta gear to put on display is really all I'll be rewarded with, nothing to actually use.
dav

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Well... Stealth-based characters did get most of the guild rewards in the vanilla game since they had two guilds unlike mages and warriors. The Dawnguard DLC also gave a decent selection of light armor and weapons that could be used by stealth characters (Vampire armor, Dawnguard Light, Auriel's Bow, Crossbows)
Try using the new restoration spell Poison Rune, it seems to suit stealth-types.

EDIT: The new illusion spell frenzy rune also suits stealth-types.
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:10 pm

The Dwarven Black-Bow of fate seemed pretty stealth based. But yeah, other then that I can't think of a whole lot.
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 am

The dawnguard light helmet can't be enchanted, plus it just looks terrible on. And the vamp armor is nice but no helm so we'll never get a Matching Set perk bonus from wearing it.
Crossbows are ok, I never use them though since it's tough to get bolts if you're a vamp lord. Auriel's bow, can't comment since I never bothered with Dawnguard past getting turned into a vampire lord. Serana is just too much of a pain to bother continuing that questline with.

May have to turn to the resto potion glitch to get something enchanted with enough magic to be able to use spells, 100 in magic makes spellcasting kinda not worth it.
Tiffany Castillo

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:50 am

Necromancers and Paladins owned Dawnguard.

Seems like Mages and Warriors have Dragonborn.
hannaH

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 am

Lots of gear was in DG
-ancient falmer armor
-steel crossbow
-dwarven crossbow
-dawnguard armor(light)
-vampire armor
-Auriel's Bow
-Dragonbone bow
-Bloodcursed and Sunhallowed/Dragonbone arrows

DB isn't good for mages.I mean pure mages.
That heavy armor with elemental augment suits more for spellsword/battlemage.
Tamara Dost

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:18 am

Lots of gear was in DG
-ancient falmer armor
-steel crossbow
-dwarven crossbow
-dawnguard armor(light)
-vampire armor
-Auriel's Bow
-Dragonbone bow

I guess my definition of "Lots" is different than yours.

Two sets of a "light" armor without matching helms, and one set with a helm that you can't enchant. Crossbows you can't really do anything with unless you join the Dawnguard. To me that's not a lot...
Melissa De Thomasis

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 am

Lots of gear was in DG
-ancient falmer armor
-steel crossbow
-dwarven crossbow
-dawnguard armor(light)
-vampire armor
-Auriel's Bow
-Dragonbone bow

yes, DG had lots of light armor and bows... but those aren't exclusive to playing a stealth based character. I'm talking about armor and weaponry that are built exclusively for stealth, for thieves and for assassins. Nothing screamed "assassin or thief" in either game... of course- except the Blackguard armor.

Armor and weaponry aside; the special abilities really reached out to the mages. The bonuses and such... I think there was one ability in one of the black books that gave stealth based characters an edge... Personally, It would've been nice to see water arrows and "assassin's vision" involved- but that's neither here nor there...

Daggers... a unique dagger would've been nice to see at least.
Cedric Pearson

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm

At least there's finally a Bound Dagger for the assassins who want to appear completely unarmed.

See, who says I'm always a pessimist?
Cartoon

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 am

At least there's finally a Bound Dagger for the assassins who want to appear completely unarmed.

See, who says I'm always a pessimist?

True... didn't even think about that one. I suppose they gave a couple items...

They should've at least made some stealth enchanted Morag Tong armor.
Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:29 am

yes, DG had lots of light armor and bows... but those aren't exclusive to playing a stealth based character. I'm talking about armor and weaponry that are built exclusively for stealth, for thieves and for assassins. Nothing screamed "assassin or thief" in either game... of course- except the Blackguard armor.

Armor and weaponry aside; the special abilities really reached out to the mages. The bonuses and such... I think there was one ability in one of the black books that gave stealth based characters an edge... Personally, It would've been nice to see water arrows and "assassin's vision" involved- but that's neither here nor there...

Wait for another DLC.
It seems to be good for thieves.
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 am

Hmm?

Dawnguard: Vampires, they are excellent assassins, but i do admit that they exist in the normal game also with their awsome sneak bonus and night vision. However they were expended upon in DG and can easily be considered a benefit for stealth chars, not to mention that the whole DG questline is perfect for a stealth chars (aloot of dark areas, assassinations, etc) and crossbows.

Dragonborn: Theres aloot of new one-handed weapons, some new bows, aloot of new light armor, bound daggers (YAY). Theres even a quest thats only available for a theifs guild member. The black books have bonus alternatives usefull for any class.

Stealth classes in dragonborn got the same amount of weapons and armor as the warrior classes. Offcourse the random loot you find is mostly warrior stuff, but its allways been that way.

While stealth may (i repeat myself MAY) have been short handed in the dlc, if so its certainly not a big difference. Me myself feel that the devs realy tried to give a similar amount of stuff to any kind of char.

Edit: I allmost forgot, new alchemy ingredients.
SiLa

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:29 am

I'm talking about armor and weaponry that are built exclusively for stealth, for thieves and for assassins. Nothing screamed "assassin or thief" in either game... of course- except the Blackguard armor.
With this definition, you'll always be disappointed - after all, a dagger also may be used by someone other than an assassin... So it leaves specifically enchanted armor. Which you have one set of in Dragonborn - I'm not sure how much you'd want to have ;P

Two sets of a "light" armor without matching helms, and one set with a helm that you can't enchant. Crossbows you can't really do anything with unless you join the Dawnguard. To me that's not a lot...
It is still lots compared to what pure mages had - almost no new gear (the Dawnguard side had no new clothes for them, vampires had a set of ugly clothing) and as far as the new spells go, the conjuration ones were usable - the rest wasn't (How often do you heal unded? And how often do you want to engage in meele as a mage?).
lucy chadwick

Post » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:15 pm

What about the Deathbrand armor set with the 2 swords??
Elisha KIng

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 am

I think it comes out pretty even. Stealth types have new alchemical ingredients and more access to some of the rare vanilla game ingredients (pearls). There are 2 unique complete armor sets (deathbrand and blackguard) for the stealthy types, and more access to high grade arrows. I think it is pretty Even-Steven.
GLOW...

Post » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 pm

To be honest sneaky types and the boots oh Ahz go together like PB and J. It's godly when you really think about it, as most often the sight of enemies is very short, and with a zephyr bow you can quickly eliminate enemies on land. Not to mention the fact it let's you cut in so many shortcuts. The moment I entered the east empire company wearhouse I jumped on the lake and rolled past everything. Hell I got so bored I went backwards along the path, assassinating everyone.

I really see what enchants they could add to a thieving character armor that isn't available to you. Sneak, pickpocketing, lockpicking... Just strap on a pair of the Darkbrother hood gloves and daggers are more than enough to kill an ancient dragon if you manage to sneak up on one. It was nice seeing something unique for the mages and warrior types as they tend to get the shaft. Stealthy characters alone just seem so... powerful.

and I prefer the fact that morang tong armor is un enchanted. Slapped on a few of the old pyramid enchants, thought "Hm it's hard to hide from dragons, so I'll put ice, fire, and magic resistance aswell."

I mean what on earth could they possibly add for a sneaky character? remodeled weapons and armor? We got most of the vanilla game in our pockets in terms of sneak class and really, who need's danwguard for crossbow upgrades as a sneaky character? yes the 50% armor bypass is lovely, but you get triple the damage, with a powerful weapon while sneaking. So I don't see how crossbows can just be dismissed at the drop of a hat.
Vincent Joe

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:12 am

If you use magic as a rogue-type character, the frenzy and poison runes, along with the bound dagger have all sorts of utility.
Donald Richards

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 am

Bound weapons do no damage.
Kayla Oatney

Post » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm just sad that Miraak's apparel is so mage-oriented. As a Warrior class, I now find myself re-perking for Mage work, due to my desire to use full Miraak gear. I find it cool to equip myself with the items of the first Dragonborn.

But then he has a sword and staff. So is he a mage or a warrior?

Decisions, decisions.
no_excuse

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 am

I'm just sad that Miraak's apparel is so mage-oriented. As a Warrior class, I now find myself re-perking for Mage work, due to my desire to use full Miraak gear. I find it cool to equip myself with the items of the first Dragonborn.

But then he has a sword and staff. So is he a mage or a warrior?

Decisions, decisions.
Hes a dragon priest of courses he's a mage.
Sista Sila

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:36 am

I actually appreciate that Beth seems to orient specific DLCs to specific playstyles. I really wanted powerful bows, and my characters who used them had a great time in Dawnguard, but now Beth seems to be saying "hey, don't forget your characters who use dual-wield or two-hand weapons, don't forget your shouts, don't forget to use companions'. It wakes you up to other possibilities and approaches.

But, no, this doesn't seem to be an expansion that favours stealth characters. A lot of the supernatural enemies seem to sniff straight through it.
Ricky Rayner

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:43 am

Hes a dragon priest of courses he's a mage.
Yeah I know, but still.
Vincent Joe

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 am

True... didn't even think about that one. I suppose they gave a couple items...

They should've at least made some stealth enchanted Morag Tong armor.
You can put your own stealth enchantments on the Morag Tong armor, if you wish. :)
Brian Newman

Return to V - Skyrim