Effecting the Economy?

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:17 am

At e3 during the skyrim demo Todd Howard says you can effect the economy, he says you can sabotage a woodmill. How exactly? I can't find any other way besides killing the guy working there. He also says during another interview that Skyrim has a working economy that you can take part off. I just don't see how? Is this just to market the game? I was excited for this so called economy but besides buying and selling items there is nothing. It is no different than any other Bethesda game.

I also watched the Oblivion E3 demo and Todd said many things that were a little fabricated if you ask me. There huge selling point was that now Skyrim has all the hand crafted dungeons, well in the Oblivion video he says that they are hand crafted. He made it seem like they had never done that until now.
Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:10 am

Todd lied.

He also lied in E3 2006 demo.

It's kind of a running gag.
Rich O'Brien

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:08 am

*flips table*

TOOOODDDDDD!!!
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 am

Todd lied.

He also lied in E3 2006 demo.

"Werewolves aren't in the game"

*Le me, joining Companions because they're the "Fighers Guild" of Skyrim*

"HOLY [censored] [censored] [censored]! I'M A [censored] [censored], FULL ON, WEREWOLF [censored]! I BETTER GO TELL THE FORUMS! MY GAME MUST BE UNIQUE!

*Le me, rushing to my computer happily*

"Aww..... :c"
Alexis Acevedo

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:01 am

The ability to actually affect the in game economy would be so incredibly epic and amazing.

Has there ever been a game where you could alter the economy in complex ways? (Cause inflation/deflation, change of currency, trade deficits, enforce taxes/tariffs, wide scale unemployment, banking, etc)
CArlos BArrera

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 am

You surely can become part of the working economy by mining ore, harvesting crop, chopping wood, and maybe others, but Tod lied about the economy thing... although its true doing that would hurt the areas exonomy, theres no way to actually sabatoge the mill by my understanding.
Becky Palmer

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:26 pm

At e3 during the skyrim demo Todd Howard says you can effect the economy, he says you can sabotage a woodmill. How exactly? I can't find any other way besides killing the guy working there. He also says during another interview that Skyrim has a working economy that you can take part off. I just don't see how? Is this just to market the game? I was excited for this so called economy but besides buying and selling items there is nothing. It is no different than any other Bethesda game.

I also watched the Oblivion E3 demo and Todd said many things that were a little fabricated if you ask me. There huge selling point was that now Skyrim has all the hand crafted dungeons, well in the Oblivion video he says that they are hand crafted. He made it seem like they had never done that until now.
Heh. You can pick up an axe and chop some wood to sell to certain people. You can pick potatoes and cabbage and sell it to a certain person. You can mine ore and sell it to certain people.

It's not as fun as it sounds. I'm aware it doesn't sound fun.

I personally find it more profitable and enjoyable to kill people and take their stuff. Who would have thought stealing was easier than working? :P

EDIT: Beaten to it.

You can run the sawmill. :biggrin:

There doesn't seem to be much of a point. D:

The good news is that this is working. It's a new introduction to the game, and I'm sure -- if they don't ditch the idea -- they can flesh it out more in TES6. If you've noticed, new ideas don't always come out perfectly polished in the first version. Too little time. But ideas are expanded on and generally improved. That's why we have made it all the way to TES 5.
Michelle davies

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:26 am

"Werewolves aren't in the game"

*Le me, joining Companions because they're the "Fighers Guild" of Skyrim*

"HOLY [censored] [censored] [censored]! I'M A [censored] [censored], FULL ON, WEREWOLF [censored]! I BETTER GO TELL THE FORUMS! MY GAME MUST BE UNIQUE!

*Le me, rushing to my computer happily*

"Aww..... :c"
lol
Sammi Jones

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 am

I just really thought that is how Skyrim would be. The economy is nothing in Skyrim.
Rob Smith

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Well most stuff he said and stuff we're shown turned out to be lies. Thats why you should never beleive the hype wagon.
Lizzie

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:06 am

todd howard is a great salesman. all great salemen are full of BS. i wish he could tell a story like he can sell a game.
Ice Fire

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:52 pm

sorry dude, it was all lie. about 50% of the announced stuff was a lie.
Solina971

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:53 am

The ability to actually affect the in game economy would be so incredibly epic and amazing.

Has there ever been a game where you could alter the economy in complex ways? (Cause inflation/deflation, change of currency, trade deficits, enforce taxes/tariffs, wide scale unemployment, banking, etc)
The Guild 2 was a game based on economy
Nathan Maughan

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:02 am

Just like the unfinished "Do you need Couriers?" quest in Oblivion, the ability to sabatoge / manipulate individual componets of Skyrim's economy was probably snipped right before the game's release.

I read a unverified post that this feature was cut because they couldn't get it to work right... which sometimes means that they ran out of time so they could meet the release date.

It would have been cool to see it, and perhaps we may still see it yet (since we haven't seen what's in the works for any of the DLC's)
kennedy

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:40 am

Just like the unfinished "Do you need Couriers?" quest in Oblivion, the ability to sabatoge / manipulate individual componets of Skyrim's economy was probably snipped right before the game's release.

I read a unverified post that this feature was cut because they couldn't get it to work right... which sometimes means that they ran out of time so they could meet the release date.

It would have been cool to see it, and perhaps we may still see it yet (since we haven't seen what's in the works for any of the DLC's)

I would agree with this.
Every TES game Ive played has features that are not fully fleshed out.
Be it the furniture stores in Daggerfall, the Pool of Forgetfullness in Morrowind, Lost Boy Cavern in Oblivion, or an economy in Skyrim.
Its very likely they simply ran out of time. A lot of the components are there, such as cutting wood, harvesting crops, mining, but it doesnt seem to be joined together to actually do something.
Its a shame, but possible enough tools are there for mods to do something with it.
lisa nuttall

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:12 am

He must be referring to the perks in speech skill tree with a silght hint of exaggeration.
Johnny

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:37 pm

I don't know about lies, more like content that didn't go in due to time constraints, I suspect.
mollypop

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:57 am

I don't know about lies, more like content that didn't go in due to time constraints, I suspect.

so what do you call marketing features, and "in game screenshots" to show off your product that infact don't show items in the actually game?
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Yes you can effect it, kill the Merchants and see how much economy you can do.
saharen beauty

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:31 am

There's an old farmer's saying that I just made up that goes "Don't try to sell me a pig if you don't have a pig to sell me"
Emma Copeland

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:02 am

Um, Todd never said "Sabotaging mills will be put into the game soon." he said "You can sabotage this mill."
{Richies Mommy}

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Killing the guy working at a lumber mill is sabotaging the lumber mill, so that may very well be "how exactly" you sabotage a lumber mill. An NPC once told me that he buys cheap in one place and sells high in another. Can we do that, and can it be profitable for us? I don't know, but I'm skeptical.

The game isn't going to set off fireworks or raise glowing "ECONOMY IS AFFECTED HERE" banners to show you the effects of your actions on the economy. If there is a working economy, then you will have to work just to notice it. If you want to know whether something is cheaper at Best Buy or at Newegg, you start by taking note of the price at one store. Then you visit the other store and take note of its price. Then you compare the prices you wrote down.

If you want to see how your actions affect the economy in Skyrim, it seems obvious that you yourself should start taking meticulous notes. First take note of the prices and availability of items in a shop. Then go do something you think might affect the economy. Use your common sense. Go kill the worker at the lumber yard that supplies the town where the shop resides. Buy or sell a bunch of something. Try depleting or stealing all of the ore in a mine. Finally, return to the shop and compare items and prices to your recorded values. If you don't see any difference, then try checking again a week later. If you still don't see a difference, then try doing something else to affect the economy. Through it all, be sure to account for any changes in your Speech skill, which affects prices.

You might find that you have no more influence over the Skyrim's economy than you do over Oblivion's. You might find that even if you can affect the economy in new ways, the returns on your efforts are disproportionately small and unsatisfying (a bit like marriage :tongue:).

I haven't done the necessary work to identify a working economy. I would bet that those saying we can't affect the economy in Skyrim, that Todd lied, haven't done the work either. They were expecting fireworks and the "ECONOMY AFFECTED HERE" banners.
Alberto Aguilera

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:07 am

An NPC once told me that he buys cheap in one place and sells high in another. Can we do that, and can it be profitable for us? I don't know, but I'm skeptical.
The best you can get is 1:1 ratio. Buy and sell at the same price. From what I've seen so far a bag of potatoes costs the same anywhere in Skyrim.
Farrah Barry

Post » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 pm

It's true that a lot of things said during demos turned out to be false, however, unlike the Oblivion one, it is NOT true that what we were shown was false. With the exception of one enemy and a few switched around (and 1 temporary voice actor), everything shown in the Skyrim E3 demo - specifically every feature
was actually exactly as it was in the real game.

Also in several interviews the devs did mention heavily that they weren't sure if X feature would make the cut - I was under the impression the whole time that they were making sure everyone knew they weren't sure so as to avoid what happened with radiant AI.
elliot mudd

Post » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Hey Tod...

Tod: What?

FUS RO DAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Daniel Holgate

Next

Return to V - Skyrim