Electronic Arts (EA): It's clear now remasters are a thing

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:51 am

So while Bethesda Softworks is now doing remasters, Dishonored Definitive Edition and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition.

Electronic Arts (EA) who was just like Bethesda Softworks who never did remasters of video games before thinks that they are worth it to sell I guess?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1264263

I'm not against remasters of video games being sold.

AAA video game publishing companies take risks developing and publishing new Intellectual Properties (IP's) of franchises of video games, like Electronic Arts (EA) did with TitanFall in 2013 and Ubisoft did with Watch_Dogs in 2014.

My question is even though AAA video game publishing companies will continue to develop, publish, and sell new AAA video games. Do you think for the PC, PlayStation 4 (PS4), and Xbox One remasters of video games being done more and more and then happening again for the PC, PlayStation 5 (PS5), and Xbox Two, will flood or saturate the video games market?

In the last three years there have been a few new AAA video games being released for sale on the video games market, with more remasters.

What I wanted to see is in the next ten years is at least see more than probably forty or so new AAA video games like TitanFall, Unravel, TitanFall, etc.

But imagine Bethesda Softworks remastering The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition for PC, PlayStation 4 (PS4), and Xbox One, then again for PC, PlayStation 4 Neo (PS4), and Xbox Scorpio, then again for PC, PlayStation 5 (PS5), and Xbox Two, etc.

I think Capcom basically does this already.

Trista Jim

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:51 pm

So what are the ramifications? Just curious. The Skyrim remaster is free to those who own the Steam copy, and these huge developers have the horsepower to generate remasters on the fly... I don't think it'll be a harmful fad, let alone a flood.
I’m my own

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:09 am

I have absolutely no idea what the ramifications are, maybe they sell very well and earn the AAA video game publishing companies money to put to fund sequels of the video games that they sell and hopefully new AAA video games?

That's my guess.

teeny

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:26 pm

honestly, this is my stance on the matter

no game from only 1 gen ago (aka, the 7th gen) needs nor deserves a remaster.. they play just fine as is, and are relatively easy to get ahold of (thanks to digital copies).. as such, i don't usually support remasters of 7th gen games (with a few very rare exceptions)..

however older games, say 6th gen and further back, yeah those games could use a remaster.. and even then, the main reason I would support remasters of 6th gen and older is ease of access, digital distribution wasn't a big thing then and many great and amazing games were only put into very limited production because they didn't think it would be as much of a hit as it was (look at how much copies of Skies of Arcadia can sell for on EBay).. since a remaster would likely put those older games on a digital source, thereby making a somewhat hard to find game more easily attainable I would support a remaster in that case..

as to the reason remasters are becoming so popular atm? fear.. people will gladly go for an experience they know they enjoy over something they have never tried.. heck, you can see this in the beyond skyrim thread where you regularly see people say "i liked Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, so just make it like it!"..

Laura Wilson

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 am

Yeah I'm there with you 100%.

For the 6th generation or the 3rd generation of video games though.

What if the AAA video game developers lost the Source Code? Will it be worth it for them to reverse engineer the video games to remaster them?

That is what SQUARE-ENIX did with Final Fantasy X/X-2. It seems it was worth it to reverse engineer Final Fantasy X/X-2 I guess. It is selling very well and especially since it has a PC version now being sold on Steam.

What are your thoughts on that?

Hella Beast

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:22 am

I think a great deal is also trying to grease the wheels in those disinterested, gamers who have decided not to purchase newer games. They want, like funnybunny says, a proven experience. And while they're buying that remaster, the "next best" might be easier to sell...
k a t e

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:31 am

That is true to some extent I think.

So lets say if some people are not interested in The Elder Scrolls VI (Maybe?) anymore because of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

If Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios took their time to remaster The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, even though it will be a lot of work to do.

In the end do you think it would be worth it for Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios or some other AAA video game development company to do, would it be worth it? Would it get the people who lost interest to come back and maybe purchase The Elder Scrolls VI? Will it make people who never played The Elder Scrolls video games before to purchase them to play them?

Maybe. It does seem to somewhat work on people from what I've seen.

But for PC (free copy), PlayStation 4 (PS4) and Xbox One could The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind remaster sell 5+ million copies? for like $30 dollars (USD) or $40 dollars (USD)?

Christine Pane

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

I don't see the problem. For people who like remasters or backward compatibility... (i put my hand up), it's great. I can have most of my favourite 360 games on my XBox One, saving me space and making my library neater. I'm currently gagging for Dragons Dogma to be either backward compatible or get an HD remaster equivalent to the PC version to become available on the XBox one.

For those who don't like them, don't buy them. It isn't taking up much in terms of development, as most of the hard work has already been done. Indeed a remaster from 2 generations ago would be a much larger undertaking, akin to developing a whole new game. By comparison, the companies doing this will be putting in very few relative man-hours to create a profit that can go back in to supporting the development of new games. Win-win.

So who cares?
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:38 am

I like gaming companies doing this. The more the merrier. I tell ya, I would absolutely love a remaster Warcraft 2 in HD graphics, like Age of Empires 2 was done.

I'd be happy with simple backward compatibility. I don't need any kind of remaster.

I see this as a win for everyone. Players get to play their old favorites on modern systems and gaming companies make dollars. And if the player doesn't like remasters, they have the option not to buy it.
Soraya Davy

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am

Skyrim to me, is a "on fence title" It came out at end of era, and start of next gen. And could really be a much better game. So a remaster was ok in my book (thou 60$ price tag is not)

I personally would love to see Morrowind be redone with many changes.

Oblivion, it runs fine, and was made at a point, it work as is. Skyrim isn't. If my PC was better, maybe I would have enjoyed Skyrim more, but my ps3 brought it to me, in good enough fashion, But it really....really could have been so much better.

Taking EA, (or maybe Bioware...) Let says they redid DA:Origins. I would say... thumbs up.

DA:II.... meh. It ran good, and holds up. DA:O holds up, but it was a good game.

I think quite a few ps3/360 games, that missed out on next gens, could use remaster. But not just graphic changes like Skyrim, But over hauls on how things work to better update them.

Skyrim is gonna need alot of mods, since it seem to be based game.

DA:O could get much better menu's and how stuff works in DA:I and it would really be a awesome title. Imagine if they dropped the 1 per visit thing DA:O had, and made it more open world, and revisited areas, better scaling.

It would be the awesomes of DA:I, but that story.

alyssa ALYSSA

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:44 am

that wouldn't be a remaster, that would be a remake..

a remake and a remaster are two very different things

Mariaa EM.

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:54 am

I would love Crystal Dynamics (if they still exist) to remake the original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen for PSX. Or maybe the original developers Silicon Knights. Blood Omen 1 was a great game with a dark story imo. Sadly the game was overshadowed by the release of a little known game FFVII.:P

Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:31 am

I'm not against it, if younger gamers get to play some of the great games of the past that other wise they might not play, or older ones like me can re experience older titles that look too dated or have OS issues then it's a good thing,

i'm looking forward to redoing Bioshock 1 and 2 next month with better visuals and hopefully no more minor issues with BS1 anyway, and of course Skyrim, which i haven't played for quite a while but will be replaying the remaster.

but then again i'm not having to pay 40 to 60 quid for them like console gamer's will have to, and i do think there is a lack of creativity in the modern triple AAA gaming industry personally,

i've only bought 2 games all year, Rise of the Tombraider and Doom, both of which are mid 90's creation's and the games i'm looking forward to are sequels, Mafia 3 and Dishonored 2 and maybe Watchdogs 2 but only after a pc review as i don't trust Ubisoft's word after being stung by them in the past.

so it's a maybe vote.

Veronica Martinez

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:14 am

Uninterested, not disinterested.

Also, yes, I think there will be a degree of saturation of remasters, because people are stupid and love to waste their own time and money on doing the same things all the time. It's like people who go on the SAME holiday (vacation) every single year, and they do the exact same things on that holiday every single year.

Creatures of habit, predictability and thoroughly lacking in imagination.

I've bought 5 (?) games this year iirc : Far Cry 4, Xenoblade Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Sniper Elite 3 and Metal Gear Solid V. NONE of them even came out this year! I'm currently only intending to get XCOM 2 on release and maybe Doom and a couple of others if they drop to a very low price (I'm in no rush).

Remasters do not interest me at all, unless they're free, which the Skyrim Legendary Edition is NOT! Got to love the gall of Bethesda to charge only console gamers top dollar for a game most of them already own.

I think it's only natural for EA to tap this easy cash cow. I would say that I'm surprised to see that they held off this long. Well, I "would" say that if it were not blindingly obvious that they're trying to improve their image and probably "held off" on this simply for some "good PR".

It's also worth mentioning that people are also incredibly lazy if given the opportunity. Want to switch consoles? "Nah, I'll just buy it again for my new(er) console".

A truly shameful display.

Brιonα Renae

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:58 am

Shameful of whom, the consumer or the developers/producers?
Nicole Mark

Post » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:23 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that. For me a remaster is something like Oblivion with Qarl's Texture Pack and Darnified UI; just a pity that DA Oranges is much harder to make mods for.
kelly thomson

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 am

I would like remasters of older games like Deus Ex (the first), Thief 1 and 2, Morrowind, Gothic 1 and 2. For new games like Skyrim I din't need a remaster.

Kelvin

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:11 am

Both.

A sign of the times we live in.

Joe Alvarado

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:00 am

I generally agree with this statement. Skyrim is really the only 7th gen game I support a Remaster version of it since the PC version is free to those who already owns the game and it will have huge improvements that will make modding much easier, better, etc and a more balanced gameplay.

Tina Tupou

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:24 pm

The problem is that Morrowind's mechanics are really old, and most people now-a-days will not like them. Heck, I don't like them personally and usually have to mod the game to fix it up later. To make the game worth getting, it doesn't need a remaster. It needs a complete remake. Which takes much longer to do...

Lynne Hinton

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:49 pm

For me personally, the only thing I found Morrowind desperately needed was better graphics: textures, animations, other random stuff like illuminated windows and what-not; though I admit I don't really feel much inclination to go back to it: I loved the experience at the time, speaking as a post-Oblivion Morrowind player, but I think it's more a case of "been there, done that" rather than it feeling too antiquated. I can't really put my finger on what makes some games replayable and others less so, though.
Sasha Brown

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:07 am

Combat was awful by today's standard.
Janine Rose

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:47 am

I'm rubbish at combat anyway.

Okay, I admit it was pretty bad.
Natalie Harvey

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:59 am

I think they will for a little while, but it is really up in the air how many of them will be remastered. The game generally needs to have been a popular game, or else a remaster isn't worth it because they never sell as well as the original. If you add more content, then it might sell a bit more than no new content, but that is an extra cost vs. extra projected revenue.

Also, this really just seems to be a thing for when a new generation of consoles are in the first few years. We're currently have 2+ year old consoles in their 3rd year, so there's that. Also keep in mind that next year we'll have the Xbox Project Scorpio...and possibly by next year we'll have the PS4KNeo.5whatevercodenameyouwanttoinserthere. You also have to think about what major games were released late in the last generation that could have really benefited from a remaster (GTA V is the biggest example).

After GTA V and to a lesser extent Skyrim, what games are left that could really use that Remaster AND be popular enough to warrant one? Most of them have already been done or already have a sequel.

The ramifications are small, because only a handful of games are going to be worthy of a remaster.

I highly doubt it, even combined sales. Skyrim sold about what...15mil copies on the two consoles combined? I mean, you're talking about a game that is now 14 years old and also only released on the original Xbox, not the PS2. A remaster wouldn't worth it. Do a Remake, or better yet: just make a new game in Morrowind (please don't, I want to see Alinor).

Amie Mccubbing

Post » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:26 pm

I think these modern ports are great even if I ignore most of them, but it's a good way for the games to get a new audience and most of the game is done already so it won't take much resources, it's easy money really.

That said, talking about EA, which this thread is about, I find it rather hard to think of a EA game I would happily buy again, so I don't really care if they want to make them.

Soon a new port of Dead Rising is released and I might give it a chance since I never played the original for the 360 (or any game in the series really but the first one looks to be the one that is the most fun). But what I would like to see the most is that SEGA release a Shenmue 1&2 HD for PC and PS4 now that Shenmue 3 is on it's way for those two platforms.
Kelly John

Next

Return to Othor Games