Enchanted Items Lose Value?

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:20 am

So a couple days ago I enchanted a ton of Iron Daggers with the Banish enchantment, and each one was bringing in about 650 gold apiece. I just got back to my game after taking a break from Skyrim, and now those same daggers are only bringing in around 300 gold apiece.

What's the deal? Nothing has changed, my gear is completely the same, I have no Fortify Barter enchants/enchants/effects, and I had none before the drop in profits happened. My perks are the exact same, I have none spent in Speech, I simply loaded my last save which happened to have a ton or remaining enchanted Iron Daggers that Whiterun's merchants couldn't take off my hands. Both the item's stated value (before: ~1800, now: ~900) and the price I actually get for them from merchants (before: ~600, now: ~300) have taken a 50% hit. Has anyone experienced this as well, know what caused the change, etc.? Your advice and comments are appreciated.

Edit: I am aware that the value of enchanted items decreases as your level in Enchantment increases (this can be easily seen by anyone who grinds Enchanting who uses the same enchantment on the same type of item with the same level souls). In my case, using Banish on Iron Daggers with Petty Soul Gems, I was able to churn out daggers worth a little over 2000 gold, but as expected as my level increased I saw that 2000 drop to 1960, 1920, 1860, you get the idea. I've grinded Enchanting on multiple characters, yet this is the first time I've seen the value of ALL my enchanted daggers drop in value from 1800-2000 gold to 900-1000 gold. As I said before, the only reason I noticed this when I loaded my game was because I still had a bunch (20+) daggers left over from my most recent "batch" that the Whiterun merchants couldn't afford to buy from me. Merchants generally buy items at around 30% of their stated value, and this still holds true in my game, they're just 50% of what they were before. :stare:
John N

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:15 am

There is a bug that causes an inverse in the item value / enchanting skill %

That is to say, putting 5 points in the main enchanting skill for 100% potency reduces the item values to what it should be when you have 0% enchanting, and by the same effect you incorrectly start with the ability to make the maximum item values.

As much as it svcks, I never buy enchanting perks until I hit enchanting 100, because enchanting experience is derived from the value of the item produced. So basically as you invest in the 5x % perks, you make it harder for yourself to level enchanting.

Once you hit 100, you can more then make up for this gold deficit by putting 2 effects on the item.

There is also the speech craft difference when it comes to pricing. If the merchant has the higher speech craft then you, you pay more and sell for less.
Jenna Fields

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:37 pm

There is a bug that causes an inverse in the item value / enchanting skill %

That is to say, putting 5 points in the main enchanting skill for 100% potency reduces the item values to what it should be when you have 0% enchanting, and by the same effect you incorrectly start with the ability to make the maximum item values.

As much as it svcks, I never buy enchanting perks until I hit enchanting 100, because enchanting experience is derived from the value of the item produced. So basically as you invest in the 5x % perks, you make it harder for yourself to level enchanting.

Once you hit 100, you can more then make up for this gold deficit by putting 2 effects on the item.

There is also the speech craft difference when it comes to pricing. If the merchant has the higher speech craft then you, you pay more and sell for less.

Right I am aware of this. Everything you said is correct, but it is not what happened to me. A few days ago I made a big batch of enchanted daggers, all of them with a stated value between 1800-2000. Sold what I could, still had a bunch left over, saved and turned off my game. Came back a few days later, the daggers I had left over suddenly were worth half of what they were before. Nothing else changed between those two times I played, the value of my other items stayed the same. Reloading the save didn't fix this. Also I don't have any perks spent in Enchanting.

My problem is why did some of my items (the enchanted daggers) suddenly lose half of their value?
BethanyRhain

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 am

I don't know if it would/could account for a 200% price, but did you have some enchanted garb/buffs to your speechcraft when you were trying to sell them initially?
Samantha Wood

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:21 am

I don't know if it would/could account for a 200% price, but did you have some enchanted garb/buffs to your speechcraft when you were trying to sell them initially?

Nope was wearing Arch-Mage robes and other mage-y gear. I have no Fortify Barter/Speech gear/potions, didn't give the annoying beggar any money, didn't have any shrines active. Just made the daggers, sold some of them, then saved my game and turned it off. Came back after taking a break from Skyrim for a few days and those same daggers had only half the value they had before.
Marine x

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:02 am

same happened to me, i was like wtf. they were first worth 900 and after i crafted like 120 they became 245
sam

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 am

same happened to me, i was like wtf. they were first worth 900 and after i crafted like 120 they became 245

HA! I got it. You have saturated the market with enchanted daggers and so the value has gone down.

This is part of the complex financial ecosystem in skyrim (Todd was raving about it remember?)
Wayne Cole

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:05 am

I've had this happen too, but the value of my daggers went up instead of down. Their selling value was like 600 gold, and then I came back to play later and they were selling for like 800 gold instead. Nothing had changed in the interim, except for me quitting and reloading the game.

It's some weird glitch.
CRuzIta LUVz grlz

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:57 am

I'm just hoping this isn't some indication of some really serious bug/glitch manifesting itself in my game, I really like this character and would hate to start over. I'll try doing some more enchanting and see what values I get more them from the merchants.

Thanks to those who responded and provided input. It's nice to know my case isn't unique (though naturally it would be better if this hadn't happened to any of us). If anyone has any idea as to what causes this and if there is a solution console-wise (I'm on Xbox 360) please let us know!
Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 am

Does it have anything to do with the 1.5 patch making items you smith valued based on your smithing skill??
Siobhan Wallis-McRobert

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 am

Does it have anything to do with the 1.5 patch making items you smith valued based on your smithing skill??

I don't smith, all the Iron Daggers I used for Enchanting I got from dead enemies, and as of now I don't have Patch 1.5 (is it even out yet for console users?).
Kristina Campbell

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:45 pm

i think they mean the daggers theme selves in the value section in her own inventory were worth half of what they were prior to selling most of them
Shianne Donato

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:33 am

I don't smith, all the Iron Daggers I used for Enchanting I got from dead enemies, and as of now I don't have Patch 1.5 (is it even out yet for console users?).

oops, didn't realize that you were a console user. 1.5 isn't out for consoles yet. It is probably a bug.
Niisha

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 am

I vaguely remember somebody describing this exact behavior somewhere for a console.I think the guy reported that problem went away after saving and reloading the game. Or maybe it was saving, reloading the game, then go to an enchanting table and enchant a banish dagger, then checking the price of the daggers. Maybe the value gets corrupted when you save the game, and the value gets refreshed after you attempt to try enchanting again.
JLG

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 am

so the weapon loses value after choosing perks for enchanting or just leveling it up?
Daniel Brown

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 am

What's the deal? Nothing has changed,

Are you on the PC? Running any mods? The 1.5 Patch, that just went live, has affected Smithed Items with regards to values and skills. Basically, it is supposed to adjust the Skill Up based on the value of what was made. However, we don't know the extent of those changes in regards to mod compatibility.
sas

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:12 am

Are you on the PC? Running any mods? The 1.5 Patch, that just went live, has affected Smithed Items with regards to values and skills. Basically, it is supposed to adjust the Skill Up based on the value of what was made. However, we don't know the extent of those changes in regards to mod compatibility.
He already said he's on the console.
Jerry Jr. Ortiz

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:58 am

I thought I made it pretty clear in my previous posts that A) I am on the console (Xbox 360), B) Smithing shouldn't have anything to do with this because I am not Smithing rather I am using Iron Daggers I have picked up off dead enemies, and C) I am not running patch 1.5, not now and not when this problem first came to my attention.

Moreover I will not touch 1.5 for a good while until I get a feel for how it runs on the 360, so it is completely a non-factor.
Portions

Return to V - Skyrim