ending fail

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:12 am

And then I get to his area and Legate Lanius is now in plain sight so I headshot him with my Gauss Rifle from concealment. No sneak crit, no appreciable damage, then he and his guys run out and kill me.

I heard later that you HAVE to talk to Legate Lanius first, otherwise he is effectively unkillable.

WHY?!! What was my stated mission? "Kill Legate Lanius."

What a huge disappointment to work so hard as a sniper to get to this stage and have all my advantages stripped away completely, and I'm forced to make an arbitrary, contrived and dumb decision to reveal myself and talk to a guy I was sent to kill.

Who ever told you that you have to talk to Lanius first was either a fool or a liar. The guy does have 920hp which makes him a tough SOB.
Here's what likely happened while you were aiming for his head you lost you hidden status thus no sneak critical.
Or you used VATS where the gauss rifle is bugged.

I've killed him in one shot more then once, then I reloaded for a stand up fight. Simply put the only reason you didn't take him out in one shot was your own fault.
Rex Help

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 am

What an EPIC let down it was. It's Fallout, of course this saga should end, but should have a GOOD ending!

As usual my game crashed 2 or 3 times before getting to and thru the endless boring end-game dialog and subsequent even more boring slideshow. Throughout the game NV felt SOOOOO much < FO3 but the ending was just a joke in comparison for me.

Unlike most FO fans, I absolutely loved the original ending of FO3. It was so different and dramatic ........... at the time (didn't play the 1st 2 I've tried, but they are too boring to me). I do have to say Reach deserves an Academy award for Bungies take on the FO3 ending, but FO3 did it first for any game I've ever played.

I'm playing FO3 again now, after giving up on NV and am glad to find FO once again has my soul. One crash in over 60 hours of play... no clipping or trapped in the environment, NO broken quests, quick loads, quick saves, NO black screens of death or DLC corruption and all this with NO patches. I'd have to say FO3 is pretty much as bug-free as Halo: Reach*

*I haven't installed the GotY DLC as I want to experience the original ending again wait a few days and THEN be able to continue. I do expect and accept more crashes once it loade, but after FO:NV, they will seem far less than trivial.
Lynette Wilson

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:25 pm

I respectfully disagree, Broken Steel was definately botched (in my opinion) becasue it shattered the already tenuous gameplay balance and forced those of us who wanted to be able to create distinctly different characters to seriously gimp the SPECIAL allocation of the character regardless of the concept of the character (aka you have to minimize intelligence in order to try to reduce the insane amount of skillpoints thrown at you with the increased level cap) or end up with characters who are basically carbon copies of each other skillwise and are J.O.N.T.M.O.A. (Jack of No Trades, Master of All) wasteland Godlings.

For Point 1, we are I think already powerfull enough with the level cap at 30 (a bit too powerfull at 35 with Dead Money), Having 40th level would be another step towards JONTMOA Godlinghood again, which at least for myself is utterly against what a cRPG/RPG is all about (Which is to have characters who can do somethings well but not other things). While being able to do everything well is I admit good in Action/Adventure based games, it is not for RPG games.

With regards to Point 2, it is not a slap in the face to the Fan Base for the FALLOUT series, because as I pointed out in my previous post every single Fallout game to date has ended. Ok it may be a slap in the face to Bethesda's TES open ended game world Fanbase, but Fallout is not TES, it is a completely different game to TES and I think should remain so.

I agree that the characters in fallout 3 got way to powerful to the point that if you arranged it right you could end up with all 10s and all most all 100s Its certainly harder to do that in NV, Which is a good thing. But like I said BOS's saving grace is that it raises the level cap and allows players to continue after the main quest. This is something they could do in NV and obviously Bethesda realized that this was something the fans wanted, ( And considering that the current poll says 79% believe the ending is fail) still do. And when Bethesda makes the next fallout they will incorporate it in that game. Its true it will take some effort certainly more effort than Obsidian put into developing the game proper considering the massive problems this game had on launch but it can be done.

And I keep hearing these references to Fallout 1 and 2 and how they had definitive endings. Everyone realizes that those game came out 13years ago right? And the gaming attitudes of gamers have changed drastically and the fallout fan base has changed with it. Having the game just end is not what the community as a whole wants, so lets give us what the majority of the Fallout Community what it wants.
naana

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:53 am

I agree that the characters in fallout 3 got way to powerful to the point that if you arranged it right you could end up with all 10s and all most all 100s Its certainly harder to do that in NV, Which is a good thing. But like I said BOS's saving grace is that it raises the level cap and allows players to continue after the main quest. This is something they could do in NV and obviously Bethesda realized that this was something the fans wanted, ( And considering that the current poll says 79% believe the ending is fail) still do.

The poll question is
Fan of the Ending- answer after reading.
70% Approve.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:08 pm

What an EPIC let down it was. It's Fallout, of course this saga should end, but should have a GOOD ending!

As usual my game crashed 2 or 3 times before getting to and thru the endless boring end-game dialog and subsequent even more boring slideshow. Throughout the game NV felt SOOOOO much < FO3 but the ending was just a joke in comparison for me.

Unlike most FO fans, I absolutely loved the original ending of FO3. It was so different and dramatic ........... at the time (didn't play the 1st 2 I've tried, but they are too boring to me). I do have to say Reach deserves an Academy award for Bungies take on the FO3 ending, but FO3 did it first for any game I've ever played.

I'm playing FO3 again now, after giving up on NV and am glad to find FO once again has my soul. One crash in over 60 hours of play... no clipping or trapped in the environment, NO broken quests, quick loads, quick saves, NO black screens of death or DLC corruption and all this with NO patches. I'd have to say FO3 is pretty much as bug-free as Halo: Reach*

*I haven't installed the GotY DLC as I want to experience the original ending again wait a few days and THEN be able to continue. I do expect and accept more crashes once it loade, but after FO:NV, they will seem far less than trivial.

I still dont understands how the FO3 ending can be "epic", no multiple endings, black and white morality. laughable plot

Please, no more level cap raised and no more continue after the main quest, it just a shame that Fallout must suffer in that way
JD bernal

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:48 am

I agree that the characters in fallout 3 got way to powerful to the point that if you arranged it right you could end up with all 10s and all most all 100s Its certainly harder to do that in NV, Which is a good thing. But like I said BOS's saving grace is that it raises the level cap and allows players to continue after the main quest. This is something they could do in NV and obviously Bethesda realized that this was something the fans wanted, ( And considering that the current poll says 79% believe the ending is fail) still do. And when Bethesda makes the next fallout they will incorporate it in that game. Its true it will take some effort certainly more effort than Obsidian put into developing the game proper considering the massive problems this game had on launch but it can be done.

And I keep hearing these references to Fallout 1 and 2 and how they had definitive endings. Everyone realizes that those game came out 13years ago right? And the gaming attitudes of gamers have changed drastically and the fallout fan base has changed with it. Having the game just end is not what the community as a whole wants, so lets give us what the majority of the Fallout Community what it wants.

Well with regards to the attitudes of games changing in the intervening time since Fallout 1, given that the vast majority of games released currently are still not open ended I would argue that particular aspect has not changed much, although I admit the majority of gamers currently seem to prefer FPS slaughterfesting for their 'action' game fix. Also as I have stated quite a few times now, there is also Fallout Tactics, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel and Fallout 3 which ALL have definitive endings (Yes I am for that overlooking Broken Steel because it is a DLC and NOT part of the vanilla Fallout 3 experience).

As for the level cap increase being a good thing in Broken Steel once I again must respectfully disagree. The game was tenuously balanced around the character capping at 20th level and the added 10 levels shattered that tenuous balance. While the vanilla ending to Fallout 3 was abysmally poor by Fallout standards, the continuation of Broken Steel rendered it absolutely meaningless and added a bare handfull of new quests in the game. It also makes the consequences of adding the FEV to the purifier absolutely minimal, in that excluding the water beggars and the character no one else what so ever dies from drinking the spiked purified water which completely contradicts the 'ending slides'.

Now if Obsidian had decided to go with the option of letting those who wanted to continue playing as an option after the ending slides but due to the time constraints they were under would have had to 'dump' you back into the wasteland after the ending where NOTHING has changed ingame as a consequence of what you did throughout the main quest. I am fairly sure that there would be at least some people complaining vociferously that nothing had changed, which meant that what they did didn't matter despite the fact that continuing playing is an added option for their benefit. I think this would probably happen even if a Warning was added to the question after the ending slides asking if the player wanted to carry on playing or not.
I had tried suggesting that the option was added before the game was released but got shot down in vitriolic furor because it would have 'broken' their immersion.
Shiarra Curtis

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 am

There's always going to be someone ignorant of it, or ignoring the fact. Though I am a little surprised at how commonly the two seem to be mixed up, since I'm pretty sure Obsidian's name is on the cover of Fallout: New Vegas and know it's at the very beginning of the game, before you actually see the start menu.

Unfortunately, only Bethesda's name is on the front and Obsidian's on the back of in some small area along with havok's and gambryo's logos. That's pretty low IMO.

On topic: Yes I like how it ends.
Jarrett Willis

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:16 am

I'm redirecting this discussion to http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1154050-the-officially-unofficial-poll/ (we don't need more than one open thread about the ending, really.)

There's also some really not very nice comments in this thread that I'm not too happy about. I know that this tends to be a polarizing and emotional subject for some people - something a lot of members feel very strongly about. But that's still no excuse to stop being civil and respectful to one another.
e.Double

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas