Esbern will NOT talk to me.

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 4:25 pm

This is my 3rd restart of the game and I'm getting quite sick of it. Why has this not been fixed? Hasn't anyone else noticed that the main quest is bugged? Sure, the PC users can cheat their way through the door, but what about us console users? Left high and dry as usual.
Gavin boyce

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Um no, sometimes you just have to wait around for the npc to wake up or come out by themselves. Thats one of the things I like about this game
Motionsharp

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 am

It's a huge bug and there's nothing to like about it. I'm experiencing the same thing. Unless there's some way to fix it I'll probably be done with Skyrim after I'm done with this character. Most people don't want to put so much time into a game where the most important theme doesn't work properly.
GRAEME

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 9:11 pm

im actually suprised... no one asked 'when wont he talk to you?' as there are several quests with him.
ONLY ME!!!!

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 8:51 pm

This is my 3rd restart of the game and I'm getting quite sick of it. Why has this not been fixed? Hasn't anyone else noticed that the main quest is bugged? Sure, the PC users can cheat their way through the door, but what about us console users? Left high and dry as usual.

At which point does he not talk to you? When you first meet him in the Ratway? When he's in Riverwood? When he's at Cloud Ruler Temple? It's important to say why, because sometimes he won't talk to you due to certain actions in the game (i.e. not a bug).
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 pm

The first time you meet him, when he's in the jail cell under Riften. This is a major bug, as I've googled it and dozens of topics have come up, with dozens of PC commands to fix the problem, but there's nothing for you to do for console, but to just give up.

You talk to him, tell him the code or whatever (Yes, I picked the right options), but then he just says "I will not open this door" or "If my friends see me with you.... blahblahblah" and closes the little peep hole in the door. I've tried killing him through the peep hole with arrows, magic, shouts. I've tried disarming myself fully, throwing heal spells at him, I even left the dang jail and continued on with the game finishing 40+ other quests (completely forgot about the main quest) then went back and still... He refuses to talk to me or open the door despite anything I've tried. Hell I even sat there and spammed the talk button for about an hour straight while I was watching TV and still nothing.

I just don't understand how the MAIN quest can be so obviously bugged to slip through the cracks of it being fixed. I could see if it was a side quest, but no... This is the flipping main quest!
TOYA toys

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I have never picked the dialog choice that Delphene tells you to choose, simply because choosing the (Persuade) option gives you exp to your speech skill. Esbern has always let me inside.
Jade

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 2:25 am

most people have done most of the thieves guild quests by the point that they get to this spot... so... here's a good question on this one, The people back at the bar, did they tell you where esbern was or did they stick to their normal conversation bits? reason I'm asking is I'm thinking that you may be required to advance so far in the thieves guild before he will talk to you. Not sure, but its a thought. I'd done alot of the thieves guild quests with all my characters before I even talked to him. This last character I didn't even start the main missions (from whiterun on) until I hit level 60. So It leaves me wondering if there are some prerequisite quests for it.

in the bug notes, it says that the quest "may" fail to start after you completed diplomatic immunity, but I'm guessing you have the quest in your quest log and your not skipping forward...

The only bug with him far as the main quests go is it failing to fire after diplomatic immunity, which it wouldn't be in your quest log, and the quest bugs that happen at the temple of the blades, where conversations wont initiate properly and you only get the default dialog options for him there, but thats long after where you currently are. I'm not finding any bug information with him not opening the door for you other then the one related to the quest not firing off.
Lovingly

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 1:56 pm

When this bug first appeared a few month ago people were saying it was linked to the Thieves Guild questline, and being in that prevented the main quest from progressing. This not the case now?
Emilie Joseph

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 pm

When this bug first appeared a few month ago people were saying it was linked to the Thieves Guild questline, and being in that prevented the main quest from progressing. This not the case now?

I got past this point in the main quest without joining the thieves guild.
I did ask the inn keeper for direction where Esbern was and he gave them to me. So I guess you don't need to be involved with the thieves to progress the main storyline.
danni Marchant

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 2:06 am

I should of been a little more specific on the bar, the bar keep at the flagon, he tells you where to find esbern in the ratway and also warns you that their are a bunch of them pesky high elves down there looking for him too. Its not a requirement to talk to him but his dialog changing shows that the quest is progressing properly for you through its stages, If we could pinpoint the quest stage that isn't progressing we can "maybe" find the cause for that.

these are the quest stages leading up to talking to esbern:
  • (Start of Quest): The Thalmor are just as puzzled as we are about why dragons are returning. I learned that they are looking for a Blade named Esbern, who Delphine says is an expert on ancient dragon lore. We need to find him before the Thalmor do.
  • (Objective is assigned): Talk to Brynjolf
  • (Objective is assigned): Search the Ratway for Esbern's hideout
  • (Objective is assigned): Find Esbern in the Ratway Warrens
  • (Objective is assigned): Talk to Esbern
I had Esbern not talk to me after finding him in the ratway once, but I dont remember what I did to get him to talk to me after that, I do remember running all the way back to the flagon though looking for any thalmor i 'missed' killing on the way down, thinking that may of been part of it.
RUby DIaz

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 12:16 pm

See, my problem sits in the fact that I completed Diplomatic Immunity (I think that's the quest name) and it's finished in my quest log. I was told to find this Esbern fool, but I never got a new quest start. I figured when I talked to him, seeing as it gave me the quest options listed, that it would start then. Sadly, that's not how the cookie crumbled.

Maybe I missed something after I finished Diplomatic and the quest chain never continued on, though, if that's the case I don't really see why so many people, especially PC users, would have to use special commands and such to get him to work properly. I'll put the game in tonight and try to figure it out again, but if not I'm just going to try taking it back. Stupid glitches in a main quest are too annoying to deal with.
Big Homie

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Looong shot, but how many quests do you have running? Maybe you need to clear your questlog first and then check if it's starting?
Calum Campbell

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Quite a few now, but that's only because the main quest wouldn't work to begin with. When I finished diplomatic immunity I had only finished around 20 quests total and 20 or so misq objectives. Now I'm at 50ish quests and 70+ misq objectives and it's not working.
Stay-C

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 pm

same problem with esbern not talking :: " a cornered rat " still will not start after completing " diplomatic immunity " . my dude is level 81, thieves guild master, and still brynjolf will not talk and lead me to esbern. even going straight to esbern doesnt help, he just doesnt open the door.
am i missing something? or will this be fixed in the next patch? -
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 9:08 pm

same problem with esbern not talking :: " a cornered rat " still will not start after completing " diplomatic immunity " . my dude is level 81, thieves guild master, and still brynjolf will not talk and lead me to esbern. even going straight to esbern doesnt help, he just doesnt open the door.
am i missing something? or will this be fixed in the next patch? -

If "a cornered rat" doesn't fired off then that's the bug right there, its a known bug, and for console users the only real fix is going back to before you escape the dungeon, and try again.
Music Show

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Is there anyone with this buy and NOT joined the Thieves Guild? Im wanting to start that quesline, but will hold off and do the Main quest first if that is the bug trigger
Claire

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 3:10 am

Did you kill Dirge? The same thing happened with me and most of the research I found points to Dirge being dead.
Jeremy Kenney

Return to V - Skyrim