Fallout 4 and Fallout 5

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:38 am

Fallout 4 is a future game that will be created and published by Bethesda Softworks after Fallout 3 (2008). Initially, in 2004, Bethesda licensed the rights to create and publish Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Fallout 5 from Interplay. However, in 2007 the company purchased the entire franchise, with Interplay licensing the rights to a Fallout MMORPG from Bethesda.

Bethesda's Pete Hines said: "The whole reason we went out and acquired the license and that we now own Fallout is that we clearly intended to make more than one." He also added: "This is not something we're going to do once and then go away and never do it again. When that will be or how long that will be God only knows, but we acquired it specifically because we wanted to own it and develop it and work on it like we do with The Elder Scrolls.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4

just thought that this was interesting
i believe elder scrolls V is due in 2010
Amelia Pritchard

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Old news but I haven't seen any of the threads that dealt with this previously in a while. While I welcome Bethesda to keep going with Fallout 3 I would like to hope that they take a long hard look at Fallout 3 and identify and learn from all of the mistakes they made. I'm not just talking about following the canon as set out by the originals and trying to stay true to those games, but also the design flaws, the technical problems, the lack of QA, the storyline (mainly the ending) and more important the community handling. If the game isn't ready, delay it and tell us that its delayed because you're unhappy with it, don't just release it to the public and hope to get away with it, and once released more information regarding issues and patches is a must.

Overall Fallout 3 is a great game (will be nigh on perfect with patches and equal rights on DLC, but that's another matter) I just hope that Beth treat it as a learning experience and do both the franchise and the community proud with their second installment.
Karine laverre

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:57 am

I'm glad that Bethesda now owns the franchise and can develop it as they see fit. TES series is one of the best long-running series in the gaming world and I'm confident after playing F3 that Beth will put it on the right development track as well.
Leah

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:30 am

I'm glad that Bethesda now owns the franchise and can develop it as they see fit.

I'm not. I'd prefer if the original creators of the series had a chance of doing a sequel again.
Kayla Bee

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:57 am

Wonder what the story will be ... Heh heh, Ceasars Legions
Gemma Archer

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm not. I'd prefer if the original creators of the series had a chance of doing a sequel again.

:lmao:
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:49 am

QFT.

Bethesda and TES may very well be my least favorite company and series of all time. Ugh. I have a pretty strong sense that the best they'll ever do for me is giving me games I like just enough to play once, say "heh, good game" and that's it. I've already ditched my second play-through out of boredom.
Jamie Lee

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:59 am

They had their chance, and more than enough time.

If Bethesda, or someone else, had not done Fallout 3 you would never have gotten it.
D LOpez

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:40 pm

If Bethesda, or someone else, had not done Fallout 3 you would never have gotten it.

The "someone else" includes Troika, which by the time the Bethesda deal was announced was in talks with Activision about them licensing the rights Fallout 3 from Interplay and Troika developing it. Troika included 3 of the 6 main creators of Fallout.

It's a common misconception that somehow Bethesda was the only company interested in the license. They were simply the highest bidder. Of course, there is no reason to be sure that Troika would develop FO3 if Bethesda didn't, others were also interested.
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:34 am

Holy crap is this an old strawman! I wish people would do a bit of research before they make statements like this. Interplay and VB folding under Herv is not the fault of Avellone and Co. And you're wrong about Bethesda being the saviors of Fallout, they were not the only company looking at the title.
J.P loves

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:03 am

QFT.

Bethesda and TES may very well be my least favorite company and series of all time. Ugh. I have a pretty strong sense that the best they'll ever do for me is giving me games I like just enough to play once, say "heh, good game" and that's it. I've already ditched my second play-through out of boredom.

If you find FO3 boring, then I wonder what you do for fun...
Tamara Primo

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:33 am

Holy crap is this an old strawman! I wish people would do a bit of research before they make statements like this. Interplay and VB folding under Herv is not the fault of Avellone and Co. And you're wrong about Bethesda being the saviors of Fallout, they were not the only company looking at the title.

I never said they were ...
Keeley Stevens

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Look at the posting history of each of the people above and you will have your answer.
Fiori Pra

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 am

Record records, go on tour, paint, draw, performance art, installation art, six, hang out with people, get drunk, oh yeah...and play videogames which i don't find boring? Oh...sorry, you were being facetious and patronizing me. :rolleyes:

@column5: I'm at work now. I'm actually getting good salary pay w/benefits to sit and respond to your condescension. Sorry, but I ain't gonna feel bad about how much I post since most of it is during the 40 hours a week I'm at work.
GLOW...

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:15 pm

@column5: I'm at work now. I'm actually getting good salary pay w/benefits to sit and respond to your condescension.

So, you're ripping your employer off. Nice.
Genocidal Cry

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:50 am

So, you're ripping your employer off. Nice.

Heh. I'm a supervisor and I get done what I need to get done everyday with plenty of time to spare. :P
helen buchan

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Yet, Beth bought it. If someone else had bought it, there's no guarantee that you folks would have liked it any better, even if that someone else was Troika (who may never have finished the game).
Natasha Callaghan

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:47 am

Yet, Beth bought it. If someone else had bought it, there's no guarantee that you folks would have liked it any better, even if that someone else was Troika (who may never have finished the game).

No, 'course not. But the track record was pretty telling that we WOULD have liked it. The direction VB was going in for one thing, and just to speculate... chances are Planescape's Avellone may have been asked back to realize VB an Troika had Arcanum and Bloodlines which were excellent indications of Anderson, Boyarski and Cain keeping up the good work. I mean...who would I suppose would have made a better Fallout 3? At least three of the guys responsible for creating my favorite game of all time or a company who made my least favorite games of all time?
:)Colleenn

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:23 am

No, 'course not. But the track record was pretty telling that we WOULD have liked it. The direction VB was going in for one thing, and just to speculate... chances are Planescape's Avellone may have been asked back to realize VB an Troika had Arcanum and Bloodlines which were excellent indications of Anderson, Boyarski and Cain keeping up the good work. I mean...who would I suppose would have made a better Fallout 3? At least three of the guys responsible for creating my favorite game of all time or a company who made my least favorite games of all time?

I can't quite recall the timeline here, but it seems to me that Trokia was never financially strong. I would argue that if they finished VB and released that, it would ahve been the last nail. If they developed from scratch, who knows. RPGs are such a niche genre compared to others that the smaller developers typicly live and die on one game. at a time.

No way to prove alternative histories...either way.
Lynne Hinton

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 pm

No way to prove alternative histories...either way.

Again, of course not. I'm just saying "If we've learned anything about the history of the aforementioned people we've learned that they were pretty damn consistent where quality is concerned and with the type of game I'm most interested in." As for money? Meh. I'd have been happier with a game of 2 x 2 pixels and brilliant story and dialog than I would with the opposite (which is what Bethesda gave us) just see my sig line! :P
Cedric Pearson

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:11 am

Again, of course not. I'm just saying "If we've learned anything about the history of the aforementioned people we've learned that they were pretty damn consistent where quality is concerned and with the type of game I'm most interested in." As for money? Meh. I'd have been happier with a game of 2 x 2 pixels and brilliant story and dialog than I would with the opposite (which is what Bethesda gave us) just see my sig line! :P

Well, it might not be doing you any good...can't please everyone and all that, but the franchise lives on, and many seem to like it.
Cassie Boyle

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 am

MOM HE HIT ME!

DID NOT!

DID TOO!

DID NOT!

MOOOOM!!!!

*lock*
Josh Dagreat

Return to Fallout Series Discussion