Fallout 3: Boston

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:52 pm

As you all probably know, the coastal area of Massachusetts was home to some of the most pivotal events in our country's history. Apparently, Bethesda overlooked this when they were making Fallout 3, as they could have expanded upon the lore of the series, and added more physical content. Boston, the states capital (which I live in close proximity to) was the site for many of these events. Imagine a Fallout mod based closely on this city. There are endless opportunities. This is why I am initiating a project which focuses on the virtual reconstruction of Boston, and some of the surrounding areas of historical importance. Lexington, Concord, Salem (Raider witch trials anyone?), and even the islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

Anyone interested in this project who has had any prior modding experience is eligible to take part in this epic work of art. Just either PM me, respond to this message, or message me on AIM at artisticbeetle with your specialties and any ideas.

Things needed:

Landscape design (preferrably by someone native to this area)

Lore creator (someone familiar with this location's history)

Mesh Creator/ Texturer

Scripter

Dialogue Writer

Many more positions are available, and the more help, the better off we are.
Invasion's

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 pm

I'll be a tester once it is close to being finished.....
louise fortin

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:02 am

no offense but you should first get something done before looking for team members (not to mention that noone will apply cause of a rough idea and a few lines in a thread).

I'd rly like to see less half arsed projects which go pretty much like this "hey i got this idea and now i need some ppl who do the work for me".
suzan

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:14 am

no offense but you should first get something done before looking for team members (not to mention that noone will apply cause of a rough idea and a few lines in a thread).

I'd rly like to see less half arsed projects which go pretty much like this "hey i got this idea and now i need some ppl who do the work for me".

I agree more, especially being that the OP just joined and has nothing to back his idea up

At OP: Get at least 40%-50% of the work done and then get a nice big WIPz thread going then ask for team members
luke trodden

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:15 pm

I've been using the GECK for a while now, and before that I used The ELder Scrolls CS, so don't call me out guys. The reason I can't start anything is that I don't know how to script or texture, and those are very big pieces of this idea. Also, why the hell would you even reply if you have nothing useful to say.
Lavender Brown

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 pm

If you've got experience, then it should be no problem for you to whip up a few example locations for screenshots, even with placeholder textures. You should also know that recruiting a team off the backs of a vague outline and a superior attitude didn't work in the Oblivion community.
Victor Oropeza

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:42 am

I've been using the GECK for a while now, and before that I used The ELder Scrolls CS, so don't call me out guys. The reason I can't start anything is that I don't know how to script or texture, and those are very big pieces of this idea. Also, why the hell would you even reply if you have nothing useful to say.

look just lay out a well structured plan, get some things done and then ask for help
BEl J

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 pm

you can't start a big project if you aren't able to do the main work that is needed for your mod and I replied to this thread cause i hope that ppl finaly realise that modding is a bit more serious then making a thread with some nice ideas and asking for help.
A big mod consumes a lot of time and its not fair to other ppl if they actualy try to help you/join a team and then just see their time wasted cause the project never had a chance from the beginning due to obvious mistakes/problems.

There are other mods out there who try to do similar stuff so maybe consider to offer your help there instead of starting another project which will never see the daylight.

I know that i'm a bit harsh here but it rly doesn't help anyone if talent is wasted.
Yama Pi

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:52 am

Actually generalbeaner, suggesting that you have something done first... so that people will know you're serious and willing to bring something to the table IS in fact useful.

Whether you choose to be defensive of that, or realize it's like gospel in the general modding community is up to you.
No Name

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:48 am

I agree with the general consensus around here. I've barely even spent any time at all fooling around with the geck, and even I know that something this ambitious is a little much. Heck, to me, this sounds bigger than the Pitt.
brian adkins

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 am

I'm very interested in doing this, but I'm not the sort of guy with mad skills or a ton of free time. I wrote this like months ago, let me know if we are on the same wavelenght.

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=920321&hl=
Robyn Howlett

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:50 pm

As you all probably know, the coastal area of Massachusetts was home to some of the most pivotal events in our country's history. Apparently, Bethesda overlooked this when they were making Fallout 3, as they could have expanded upon the lore of the series, and added more physical content.

I'm not sure if historical significance was really a factor here. One could argue that Philadelphia has been even more pivotal in the nation's history and it isn't included in the game. Bethesda decided to focus on the DC region. These other cities are quite a ways away, so they couldn't have been easily included. There is the Pitt, but before discussing DLC I should point something else first:

The Commonwealth, which is mentioned as part of the Replicated Man quest, refers to Massachusetts - something Emil, FO3's lead designer and a Massachusetts native has confirmed. It is also widely believed that the Institute then refers to MIT (or an anologue). So Boston is actually one of the few East Coast areas that Bethesda was mentioned in the game. In fact they're a fair bit of information there since we know the Commonwealth possess a lot of a lot of advanced technology, including androids.

I believe Emil has said they don't have plans to feature the Commonwealth in a DLC. This could change, but they may feel that something as large as the Institute wouldn't fit in a DLC. Maybe we'll see one of the future games set in the Boston area. :shrug:
Naughty not Nice

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:23 am

To lead a team, you must provide a reason for others to follow.

This isn't meant as a reprimand or insult, just constructive criticism. It is one thing to say "Hey, guys. Boston. Let's do it." and another to say "I've laid out the city of Boston, I need people to help script quests and do texture work. Here's a storyline, here's some hooks, and here's some other interesting stuff. Would anyone like to contribute?" The simple fact is that a lot of mods never get off the ground. If you want to gather a team, you need to show that you have proficiency, dedication, and commitment to your idea.

Personally, I would love to see Boston given life within the game, the interpretation of the Commonwealth sounds very interesting, and I really want to take a crack at the Institute.

But we don't know who you are, and we don't know if you'll disappear. Your epic work of art might be just another lost thread, or you might be the next big name in modding after producing a gem of absolute brilliance.

So before calling for aide, you need to have a plan.

Have you laid out what areas will be completed, the space they will occupy, what will/won't be destroyed, and a general idea of what significant features will be included?

Do you have the experience to contribute a great deal of the work, and can you prepare something to demonstrate to the community your expertise? In particular, since you've mentioned already you've worked with the GECK and construction set before. Can you create part of Boston on your own, something to lay down the foundations of your mod, even without scripting?

And finally, do you know what the limits of this project will be? Do you know how much time and effort you are willing and able to put into its creation, and do you know where you want to take its story?

If people sound critical, it is meant constructively. We want projects like this to succeed, but they are a lot of work, a lot of toil, and a lot of strain. We need to see a foundation, because every tree first needs soil to grow. Then people can gather under your banner, and the work can be underway.
Sebrina Johnstone

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:51 am

Alright. The main reason I didn't include many of my ideas is that I believe in a large amount of creative freedom. Similar to the Unique Landscape mods for TES:IV, anyone on the team could design there own town/section of the map, and then have it voted on by the rest of the modders.

However, if that doesn't "float your boat", here are some of my ideas (I'm going to make a rough version of something tonight, which will probably be done tomorrow night):

Noman's Land-- A small, unpopulated island off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, which is closed to the general public due to unexploded military ordinance. (yes, this is a real place, and yes, it already does sound like it should be part of Fallout) There could be a "tribe" of raiders here who have quests that require you to act like a pirate of sorts to other towns, islands, or boats.

Martha's Vineyard-- A decent sized island off the coast of Cape Cod which is somewhat densely populated. Lot's of art is produced here, and there is a large amount of wildlife. Ferry systems pose interesting modding opportunities, as do partially destroyed forests. There could be a medium to large tribe of survivors here, who like to focus on the arts. Good pirating target.

Nantucket-- Similar to Martha's Vineyard, but I have less knowledge on it.

Cape Cod-- Just an interesting land form, and the bridges (The Bourne and Sagamore) could also be utilized.

Boston-- Obviously. Main feature of the mod. Large harbor, towering skyscraqers, Logan Airport. Huge/complicated highway system, and the Zacham Bridge would be an interesting challenge to model.

Lexington/Concord-- For the sole purpose of reenacting the battle of the same name (only with laser weapons, raiders, and possibly super mutants)

Just for fun, Six Flags New England-- Very fun for the player, some rideable rides, Could house a city similar to that of The Pitt.

Salem-- As I said before, the raider witch trials could be an interesing sidequest for those who like the historical aspect of the game (there could be The Crucible references!!!)

That should be enough of a base to build upon... for now.
Gavin boyce

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Alright. The main reason I didn't include many of my ideas is that I believe in a large amount of creative freedom. Similar to the Unique Landscape mods for TES:IV, anyone on the team could design there own town/section of the map, and then have it voted on by the rest of the modders.

However, if that doesn't "float your boat", here are some of my ideas (I'm going to make a rough version of something tonight, which will probably be done tomorrow night):

Noman's Land-- A small, unpopulated island off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, which is closed to the general public due to unexploded military ordinance. (yes, this is a real place, and yes, it already does sound like it should be part of Fallout) There could be a "tribe" of raiders here who have quests that require you to act like a pirate of sorts to other towns, islands, or boats.

Martha's Vineyard-- A decent sized island off the coast of Cape Cod which is somewhat densely populated. Lot's of art is produced here, and there is a large amount of wildlife. Ferry systems pose interesting modding opportunities, as do partially destroyed forests. There could be a medium to large tribe of survivors here, who like to focus on the arts. Good pirating target.

Nantucket-- Similar to Martha's Vineyard, but I have less knowledge on it.

Cape Cod-- Just an interesting land form, and the bridges (The Bourne and Sagamore) could also be utilized.

Boston-- Obviously. Main feature of the mod. Large harbor, towering skyscraqers, Logan Airport. Huge/complicated highway system, and the Zacham Bridge would be an interesting challenge to model.

Lexington/Concord-- For the sole purpose of reenacting the battle of the same name (only with laser weapons, raiders, and possibly super mutants)

Just for fun, Six Flags New England-- Very fun for the player, some rideable rides, Could house a city similar to that of The Pitt.

Salem-- As I said before, the raider witch trials could be an interesing sidequest for those who like the historical aspect of the game (there could be The Crucible references!!!)

That should be enough of a base to build upon... for now.
well just by looking at that I can say your thinking your gonna do all of these things, but your not, to make a GOOD mod of that size will take well over a year, I say leave out all of those things and try one of those islands first, although Boston sounds the most interesting just to get some working ground do one of those islands first

and another suggestion, forget Six Flags :shakehead:
sally R

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:59 am

Hey... don't you head-shake me. I'm not new to forums. Just this one.

Oh, and if things don't get completed, then that's fine. It happens in the professional game industry all the time.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:28 am

Hey... don't you head-shake me. I'm not new to forums. Just this one.

Oh, and if things don't get completed, then that's fine. It happens in the professional game industry all the time.

so you already have a mindset that it will fail? Why are you trying to gather a team then? Look you don't seem to be taking suggestions from anybody, that attitude isn't going to get you any help, its just going to get you flamed, just start on one of those islands for some working ground, when you have one fairly complete, post a WIPz thread with screenshots of your progress
Silencio

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:07 am

Don't put words in my mouth. I was actually confirming what you said before about certain parts being scrapped. I was just throwing out suggestions, some of which will not make it into the final cut. And I am completely open to suggestions. I contemplate each one, and use the ones that I see fit. Lugaru seems to be on the same page for the most part, so I am definitely not the only person who wants to see something done about this.
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:46 am

Don't put words in my mouth. I was actually confirming what you said before about certain parts being scrapped. I was just throwing out suggestions, some of which will not make it into the final cut. And I am completely open to suggestions. I contemplate each one, and use the ones that I see fit. Lugaru seems to be on the same page for the most part, so I am definitely not the only person who wants to see something done about this.

*sigh* again with the rudeness and attitude, when will you learn that it won't get you any help? I used to be like you back when I got here, people tried to help me, yeah they were little harsh with their criticism sure, everyone is, but I was like you and decided to be a jerk about it, what I could have gotten resolved in a few minutes, it took me a day or two to figure out: my loss

so chill out, people will help you if you are willing to listen to them first
Theodore Walling

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't see how I am being a jerk. I have not bad-mouthed you or anyone else... I think you're overreacting.
courtnay

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:07 am

Honestly, I think your best course of action is to just start modding. Some time down the road, when you've got some stuff partly done, someone might come along and want to join in. But it's better to just start, than to wait for a team.
Louise Andrew

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 am

Why is everyone badmouthing the TC so much? We don't want him to leave. Lucien, you're being overly argumentative.

And on topic, I'd love a Boston mod, grew up about 2 hours away from there. SOX RULE.
Natasha Biss

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:01 am

Boston is an interesting location to choose... I was considering attempting a city-based mod myself too, though more aimed towards Maryland and whatnot.... never did find the perfect city.

In any case, make sure to make the aquarium in Boston be a breeding ground for Mirelurks.
Jessica Nash

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:57 am

Why is everyone badmouthing the TC so much? We don't want him to leave. Lucien, you're being overly argumentative.

And on topic, I'd love a Boston mod, grew up about 2 hours away from there. SOX RULE.

no, I'm not, where did you get that idea?
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:19 am

Apparently constructive criticism = badmouthing/GET OUT!

I have no idea.

Had to physically fight myself from posting up to this point in fear I might say something that could be conceived as rude, but now I'm getting too tired to care.

I think the real problem is those of us who've "been around" are tired of seeing potentially awesome ideas come along, such as this one, and then get totally dropped before they even get off the ground because the OP gave up before they began. We're jaded, is the problem. We'd love to see all these kind of threads get going, the mods they want to create be created, but are so used to seeing things presented in a similar format simply fail that we're too defeated to hope or assume anything but the bare minimum or the worst.

Trust me, a lot of us who "badmouth" in these sort of threads really do wish to see these things created and would love to help out, but we've seen their ilk fail so many times before that we feel as if we should, at the very least, say something that might make it more probable for the idea to grow and succeed.
Tamara Dost

Next

Return to Fallout 3