Fallout 3 GOTY edition cant load DLC

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 am

Ok - not a total noob to PC stuff. But, I am obviously missing something as I can't get the DLC (second disc) to load correctly. i recently bought this game on Amazon for like $10.00.

Using a 2500K CPU, win7 64 bit Pro, Nvidia 560ti GPU.

WIndows live gamer is working fine and I am signed into my account when I try to download.

Have already tried deleting game, redownloading regularly and in safe mode. I have let the second disc sit there for a few minutes then it appears to load - but once it starts is zips very fast and it does not actually download anything. I have opened the 2nd disc and downloaded to decktop, then just the Exe file to desktop - again opens and appears to download in like 5 seconds- but no actual data is trasnfered. I have shut off all Avast software ( my Pc's anti virual software currently) and do not have any firewalls turned on.

The game from the first disk runs fine - get out of the vault without any hiccups. I am supposed some type of a radio signal right? Well I get nothing....

I got this game for cheap - so not a big deal - but I have heard you cannot really finish without the DLC's- so help me out here...

Possibilities- :
1) Saw the problem with multicore CPU- so I could try that- but from what I read- I am not having that issue.

2) Re-purchase the DLC's on Windows live account- well it is the principal of it all. So ahh NO!!

3) I will check what version of the game is one when I get home from work- but it is supposed to be the best , most updated version right? I will check...

4) ??

thanks in advance- new to the forums here, but think I will enjoy it.
Kelsey Hall

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 1:17 am

If I recall correctly, when you obtain the DLC from GFWL, you have to go digging in hidden folders and files to get the actual DLC files. It's a pain. Make sure you have "View hidden folders and files." ticked under your windows explorer option, otherwise you won't be able to see them.

Depending on your OS the DLC files should be located in:

for Win XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Xlive\DLC

for Vista & (I assume) Win 7:
C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC

Select all the respective files and copy them to your Fallout 3\Data directory. Start up the launcher and tick the DLC .esm files and you should be good to go. I hope this helps cause I'm guessing this is the problem. Found this info. on a few other forums, so I dont know if it's still 100% accurate. I remember having to do this a while back though.
Pants

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 4:45 am

Os= win7 64bit. I will look to see if I have the hidden files stuff "ticked". Right now I have the DLC 2 gb downloaded to harddrive and a folder on my desktop.
Georgia Fullalove

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Sound like you already have all the files you need saved to your desktop then. There should be a bunch of .BSA and .ESM corresponding to each of the DLC's. If this is the case you need to find your Fallout 3 installation directory ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3 goty ) or what-have-you. In that folder you should have a Data folder. This is where you need to place all the BSA and ESM files.

Once you've done that, you should be able to start the game. Once on the launcher screen don't jump the gun and click "Play"-- you want to click "Data Files." This is where all your installed mods and DLC plugins are activated. Find all the DLC's and check all of them (Anchorage.esm, ThePitt.esm, etc.)
Robert

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 am

yes= got it working- thanks. However - I now have froze 2 times in a row in the ranch building. FO3 not responding. AHHH... what is up with this game? I think I read about this happening with someone else.

version = 1.7.3
Taylor Tifany

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Yeah I've got that problem too, thats a whole other can of worms. There are several other threads going about that. But you can try a few things to see if it will help.

1) Try disabling shadows. I dunno why, but I was having some issues with these on my GeForce 580gtx 3gb, so I just turned them off and it seemed to help with the crashing intervals.

2) Tweak the Fallout 3 INI for multi-core CPU anyway. To do that locate the "FALLOUT.ini" file. It will be located at C:\Users\(your user name)\My Documents\My Games\Fallout 3
*MAKE A BACKUP OF THE FILE BEFORE YOU START* just in case this hurts more than helps.
Once in the file find the line (ctrl+f): "bUseThreadedAI=0", change it to read "bUseThreadedAI=1"
Next right below that line add this new line: "iNumHWThreads=2"
No quotes, of course.
File, Save

3) Lastly download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack Basic
http://download.cnet.com/K-lite-Codec-Pack-Basic/
If the link doesnt work, just head over to www.cnet.com and search for "K-Lite Codec Pack Basic" This codec pack will definitely help with the games video processing.

Hope this helps you out. Cause FO3 is an awesome game once you get it on its feet.
Laura Hicks

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 6:07 pm

thanks will give that a try
James Potter

Return to Fallout 3