Fallout 1/2 rainbow color fix WITHOUT ddraw.ini

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 pm

For the people who dont have the ddraw.ini file. (i didnt)

You may have tried messing around with compatibility settings. This obviously doesnt work.
The problem lies within bad palette handling and windows aero. This fix basically removes the start bar and stuff while playing so windows aero doesnt mess up the colors. Don't worry, everything will be perfectly fine after you close the game.

(this fix is for fallout 1. I dont know the .exe for fallout 2 so i didnt include it)
Make a .bat file in notepad and paste this into it:

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
falloutw.exe
Start explorer.exe

Save the .bat file into the directory where falloutw.exe is located. Crete a shortcut if you don't want to repeatedl go to program files every time you want to play.

Basically it disables windows explorer while playing so the palette doesn't get screwed up. Windows explorer starts back up when you quit the game.
You only have to click on the .bat file and you're good to go!

This also works with any other games with color problems. Just replace the "falloutw.exe" with the .exe of you choice, and put it in the said game's category.

BTW, i am using windows 7. I'm not sure if this works in vista, etc. but if it doesn't, just create you own .bat that kills windows explorer.

Optionally, you can kill windows explorer through the task manager.

If the mods dont ban me for posting this exact thing in two other threads, please sticky this highly useful fix. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
Ross

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 pm

I can't seem to find the falloutw.exe file. I can't even find the program file. I downloaded it from Steam if that makes a difference.
Danielle Brown

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 5:20 pm

I have no idea about steam and where the files are located. All I can say is go to all programs in the start menu, right click the fallout that you click to play, and select properties. Since everything is a shortcut in the start bar, it should tell you where the start menu shortcut is linking to in the properties window.
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 am

Check,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\[STEAM USER NAME HERE]

If you can't find the (x86) folder just check

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common
Emma Pennington

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 pm

I have two questions:
1. How exactly do I make a .bat file?
2. I tried to save the file and I got a message saying I didn't have administrative rights and couldn't save the file to the Fallout foulder
Stephanie Kemp

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 pm

1. I think in this instance you just open up a Notepad document, paste the text in the original post into that file, and save the file with a .bat file type.

2. Does your PC have an admin user?
Heather Dawson

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 1:35 pm

2. Does your PC have an admin user?

It seems my account is the administrative account, unless I'm missing a step. I'm not very computer savvy. I own a windows 7 laptop, don't know if that makes a difference.
Chase McAbee

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Open notepad by right-clicking and selecting run as administrator. This should give you administrative rights and you will be able to save a text file inside the program files folder and its subfolders.
Kelly John

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 10:43 pm

I did the save as a .bat file in notepad and saved as falloutw.bat and put it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\gamesas\Fallout where fallout is.... i changed the name of the origional falloutw.exe file to fallout.exe. if i click on the exe file, the screen flashes and nothing happens, but when i click on the .bat file, i get a msg that says "unable to open map edges *.ini file"
I'm trying to run this on windows7, i bought the disc at best buy. this is incredibly frustrating i still cant get it to friggin work!! i've tried a resolution patch to no avail, messing with the resolution in my screen settings, what am i doing wrong???!!! HEEEELLLLLPPPP PLLLLEEEAASSSEEEE
Nims

Return to Othor Games