Fallout 2 reception

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Found this interesting claim in Fallout Wiki:
Fallout fans are generally divided in their opinions of Fallout 2. The most common complaints involve the voluminous amount of pop-culture references throughout the game, many of which are extraneous and forced; the exaggerated "advlt" content such as the porm studio in New Reno, or even New Reno as a whole; the lack of a true 'Fallout' atmosphere when compared to the original game; and especially the overall lack of advancement over the original in terms of graphics and gameplay. There have also been some complaints about the game's relatively arbitrary end boss, Frank Horrigan.

I am a relatively new user to the game series, but I shall take an opinion on the above.
First, the 'advlt content'. prosttutes and Cat's Paw not vital for survival in the Wasteland, but it would be obvious that in a post-Nuclear world, where old christian values have disappeared, some women could turn into making easy money by selling themselves. I think that New Reno is a prefect example of a city where a post-apocalyptic society has formed. As we have seen in Second World War, when a person is put into excessive pressure and then released of it s/he will turn out to be a completely differend person, driven by his/her animal-like desires. In Fallout universe this will show as use of Jet, murdering, excessive and sometimes even offensive sixual behavior. The Golden Globes porm studio, however, is indeed exagerrated. It's doubtful that organized pormographic industry would form in the wastelands. In this I agree with the Wiki article; this is crealy a forced cultural referral, based on the name pun about the "Golden Globe" award.

The "Fallout athmosphere" claim is another one I agree with. I don't see the Fallout 2 athmosphere as negative one (actually I like it), but it indeed is quite differend from the pessimistic and silent Fallout 1.

Then Frank Horrigan. I don't see why he is 'arbitrary'. I think he is fairly logical. A mutated person, a maniac one, who has been made into a elit? soldier by the Enclave. He fits well as the enemy of Fallout 2. Quite comparable with Fallout 1's Lieutenant, just with differend IQ. The president of United States of America would have been too weak to be a serious foe. Like in Fallout 1, the boss of 2 was a mutated/armored, thus stronger than normal, person.
I also see Horrigan comparable to some infamous SS "hangmen", like H. Himmler or Heydrich, both known to be massacring maniacs who liked to see blood.

I don't make personal opinions on the graphics and gameplay claim. I have seen many sequels which are copies of the original. I myself don't care for new features, all I care about is the playability and storyline of the new one, when it comes to RPGs.

As it goes with opinions, there is not correct answer. But share your thoughts if you have any.
Marquis T

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:37 pm

It's worth noting that just because you complain about something doesn't mean you don't enjoy the entire package.
Ella Loapaga

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Personally I felt Fallout 2 was too juvenile. Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoyed it, but not as much as I liked Fallout 1. I guess I wasn't expecting the sudden change :shrug:
Sista Sila

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 pm

It's worth noting that just because you complain about something doesn't mean you don't enjoy the entire package.

I didn't say that.
!beef

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 am

I think, other than a world event, like the proposed NCR/BOS war, that fallout 2 really is the end of what Fallout can do in the Californian region without going back in time.

What VC intialy, and later NCR both signaled to me is that the Wasteland was not a hopeless place - Hope of new civilisations had sprung. Going any further would no longer be "post Apocolyptic" but "post-Post Apocolyptic". If We assume all of the "Good" endings then the californian wastes became a fairly civilised place not long (a couple of decades at most)after FO2.
Chantel Hopkin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 am

The Frank Horrigan thing was disliked because the Enclave dislike non-humans. Having a Enclave soilder infected with FEV just dosen't fit with the Enclave's Kill all mutants attitude.
Annika Marziniak

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:22 am

The Frank Horrigan thing was disliked because the Enclave dislike non-humans. Having a Enclave soilder infected with FEV just dosen't fit with the Enclave's Kill all mutants attitude.

They didnt exactly like Frank - Everyone considered him a freak.

He was just a tool they took out the cupboard every now and then who hadn't outlived his usefulness. I doubt that he would have enjoyed his "retirement"
Kristian Perez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 am

He just didn't seem as an appropriate of a boss, especially after the boss of Fallout 1. I mean, you barely see him any where else in the game. All of a sudden, he becomes the final boss! With the boss of Fallout 1, there was a good build up and some decent foreshadowing.
Andrea P

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 am

He just didn't seem as an appropriate of a boss, especially after the boss of Fallout 1. I mean, you barely see him any where else in the game. All of a sudden, he becomes the final boss! With the boss of Fallout 1, there was a good build up and some decent foreshadowing.

I agree. I didn't know who Horrigan was before I faced him the end.

I thought the "wrong place wrong time" large Enclave soldier was just an Enclave officer or something.
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Isn't a 3 meter high giant executing some people enough foreshadowing for you? o.O
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:19 am

Isn't a 3 meter high giant executing some people enough foreshadowing for you? o.O

The other soldiers were 2 meter high giants, so I thought he was a 2 meter giant promoted to be a 3 meter giant. Who executes people.
Angela

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 am

I agree. I didn't know who Horrigan was before I faced him the end.

I thought the "wrong place wrong time" large Enclave soldier was just an Enclave officer or something.

First time I saw that I thought the BOS went bad!

You can also see Frankie if you return to Vault 13 or San Fransisco after delivering the plans to the BOS (both by computer recordings)
Marquis deVille

Return to Fallout Series Discussion