Fallout 3 Super Mutants

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 am

What exactly do we know about them, and where they came from?
elliot mudd

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:32 am

Big hulking stupid slow beasts running at you with a nail board and then shooting them in the face with one of their own hunting rifles is way too satisfying.
Sharra Llenos

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Im not sure if i got the story right, but there was someone who says at the begining that there is a place where they make those super mutants... right?

Well if im nto wrong, there's that place and super mutants (who once were humans) work there to capture more people and make them into muties.

((Im totally not sure about this because i always play this game when im really high at 2 am+))
Isabel Ruiz

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Last time I checked they were made by the master, how the hell they got out to DC I have no clue.
Jade MacSpade

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Last time I checked they were made by the master, how the hell they got out to DC I have no clue.

Exactly! Thats what I want to know!
Alada Vaginah

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:31 am

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Super_mutants

Some of the Super Mutants in F03 are due to Vault Tec experiments with the FEV, and in one of the vaults (main quest related) the player can find research notes on the subject, and also a Super Mutant whom retained his intelligence. In this particular vault, you can also find centaurs who are also a result of FEV experimentation. The Super Mutants in FO3 are said to capture victims, hauling them away so that they may be turned into Super Mutants.
Afaik they have no relation to the Master.
Jeffrey Lawson

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I hoped that i could find a place where they could turn me into a super mutant Lol

Btw... anyone knows how can you become a cyborg / ghoul / mutant ? im really curious about what you can become and stuff...
Ross Thomas

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 pm

You can't become any of those things, though there is a cyborg perk...
Annick Charron

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:18 pm

*SPOILER*

You can, however, become a Vampire. Or at least something close. :)

*SPOILER*
Ysabelle

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Very minor spoiler warning:

Today I found out there's a way in the game to LOOK like a Ghoul...
joannARRGH

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:30 am

Yeah, Vault 87 was experimenting with the FEV, which is what lead to the rise of the DC Super Mutants.

The real question is where are the FEV Vats of Vault 87, and where do the Super Mutants take their captives in the DC Ruins?

Perhaps the answer is among the ruins, somewhere...
P PoLlo

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:05 am

I hoped that i could find a place where they could turn me into a super mutant Lol

Btw... anyone knows how can you become a cyborg / ghoul / mutant ? im really curious about what you can become and stuff...

I know that you can get your very own well educated super mutant freind with a super sledge and a healthy appetite for killing. Just follow the story and youll find it. Very funny.
Dylan Markese

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:50 pm

Yeah, Vault 87 was experimenting with the FEV, which is what lead to the rise of the DC Super Mutants.

The real question is where are the FEV Vats of Vault 87, and where do the Super Mutants take their captives in the DC Ruins?

Indeed. In vault 87 couple mutants discussed about human taken somewhere and turned to super mutant, didn't listen it again and i don't remember discussion very well. Then again somewhere was said that DC's Super Mutants are different from west coast, maybe it was hints in load screen or BOS scribe which said this

Also: I don't get it how Vault 87 keeps producing Super mutants? Only way in and out is blocked... Maybe it's something which can't be explained with reasoning and logical thinking (=Bethesda's illogical screw up).

Or: Maybe they don't need Vats at all? Atleast Vault 87 seemed to be empty of FEV, not that i would have searched it completely. I'm referring into that piece of info that Super mutants would be different in DC... Maybe when they die they burst into small Super mutant seeds which takes couple month to develop into Super mutant ^_^
Matt Bigelow

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Well, so far there is nor relation to the master, cause these muties are a different FEV string than those from the west coast. As far as Im understanding it, the muties we encounter in the ruins are the people from Vault 87. I dont think they capture people to transform them, at least I have not found solid prove to that. I think they want to eat them rather to transform them, talked to some prisoners I freed from them and one was talking about how they wanted to eat him. Another prisoner, I think Shorty was his name, was also about to get eaten as I bumped in. Well after I searched for VEF-tanks in Vault 87 and did not find any, I came to the conclusion, that, at least lore based, there is no such thing than mutie production. Wich leaves the question open, why there are so many of them, did not find a inhabbitent list of Vault 87, so im unable to say if the number of muties in the wastes match that.

If you found some other facts please tell me im totally into that ^^
SamanthaLove

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:26 am

Also: I don't get it how Vault 87 keeps producing Super mutants? Only way in and out is blocked... Maybe it's something which can't be explained with reasoning and logical thinking (=Bethesda's illogical screw up).

No, it's obvious Vault 87 isn't the location of the Vats any longer - assuming they're even using Vats of the stuff this time around anyway. Only reason the Master was using the Dipping technique was because that's the way Richard Grey got exposed to the stuff.

The background info on the FEV in all games suggest that testing was done via injection - and in Vault 87's case, it appears to be airborne inhalation given the vents in all the testing chambers.

Also the residents of Little Lamplight all point out that the "monsters" don't come out of the Vault anymore.

As far as Im understanding it, the muties we encounter in the ruins are the people from Vault 87. I dont think they capture people to transform them, at least I have not found solid prove to that. I think they want to eat them rather to transform them, talked to some prisoners I freed from them and one was talking about how they wanted to eat him. Another prisoner, I think Shorty was his name, was also about to get eaten as I bumped in. W

It's possible, especially given the Gore Bags that accompany Super Mutant infestations.

But during the rescue in the Police Station, they make mention of taking Red "with them" when they "go home". That to me suggests that there's at least some policy in place by the DC Muties to increase their numbers. It would also explain how the Brotherhood of Steel could have been fighting them for 20 years and still not see a significant dent in their numbers.

I think the Behemoths are Vault 87 dwellers (As the BOS mentions that the DC Muties get bigger with age), but I honestly think there's some process out there to turn normal people into Super Mutants. Especially since the FEV was showcased in several cases on the West Coast to enhance intellect. Combined with Fawkes learned attitude, I can't see the DC Mutants not having at least a FEW intelligent leaders out there.
Ian White

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:55 pm

Makes sense, hmm, but according to Fawkes the Muties never realized that they actually had a GECK in there and according to Fawkes stories, the others seem to lack intelect. I dont want to say there are not intelligent muties out there, Leaders, or whatever, but as far as it concerns Fawkes experiences in Vault 87, there seems to be a lack of them. Also I try to imagine how they would transform people, sure dipping technique is obsolete, wasnt done in V 87 and there are at least a dozen ways. Well inhalation does not seem the case, cause there is not a facility were they could execute that task proper, or at least not now oO. If they inject it to somebody, there needs to be at least a sample of those syringes or whatever and still no facility I found would be a proper operationbase, let alone something that would indicatem that the muties have some sort of organisation, besides Brutes, Behemoths and Masters. No warplans, or even maps, the only thing I remember is that, it is mentioned that the muties are looking for something in the DC area. I located a few points of interests, including an old crushed space rocket, from before the war, wich is highly radioactive, the museum of technology, I asume to scavenge new parts or old parts of technology, the mall, supplies and stuff, but other than that, there was nothing interesting in DC, may it strategic or whatever.

Again that is just my point of view and my findings I may be wrong with that oO
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Am I the only person who feels that the muts in FA3 look like the Uruk-Hai in the LOTR movies? Especially the ones with helmets on its seems like a blatant parody to me which I find kind of dissapointing. I love LOTR and all but I dont see the need to rip it off in this fashion.
sexy zara

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:19 pm

A passing resemblance to the Uruk-Hai is a far cry from the amount of stuff Fallout has "ripped off" over the years. Hell, Fallout 2 made no bones about putting Monty Python, Tom Cruise, Scientology, and Star Trek within that game universe.
Amy Cooper

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Am I the only person who feels that the muts in FA3 look like the Uruk-Hai in the LOTR movies? Especially the ones with helmets on its seems like a blatant parody to me which I find kind of dissapointing. I love LOTR and all but I dont see the need to rip it off in this fashion.

one of those fallout pop culture refrences, thats all.
STEVI INQUE

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:14 pm

They don't have them. Vault 87 seems to have infected victims through airtight chambers with the ability to dispense airborne F.E.V. Terminals in this area of the facility suggest that they are out of the stuff, and some of the terminals state that Vault 87 was developing a form of super soldier F.E.V for Mariposa. In other words, the guys at Mariposa contracted vault-tec to create super mutants at vault 87. Doesn't seem like mariposa ever got the information though.
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:59 am

No, it's obvious Vault 87 isn't the location of the Vats any longer - assuming they're even using Vats of the stuff this time around anyway. Only reason the Master was using the Dipping technique was because that's the way Richard Grey got exposed to the stuff.

The background info on the FEV in all games suggest that testing was done via injection - and in Vault 87's case, it appears to be airborne inhalation given the vents in all the testing chambers.

Also the residents of Little Lamplight all point out that the "monsters" don't come out of the Vault anymore.

I think the Behemoths are Vault 87 dwellers (As the BOS mentions that the DC Muties get bigger with age), but I honestly think there's some process out there to turn normal people into Super Mutants. Especially since the FEV was showcased in several cases on the West Coast to enhance intellect. Combined with Fawkes learned attitude, I can't see the DC Mutants not having at least a FEW intelligent leaders out there.

Yes your right. Mutants were trouble, but are not anymore. I'm knowledge is bit thin with Vault 87 and Lamplight, as i like rushed to GECK without much bothering to learn everything... What is there to be learned from history of Lamplight? How long has it been there preventing mutants moving from Vault to wasteland and vice verse? what kind trouble mutants have been in past, in other words have they tried seriously to get past Lamplight? And is Lamplight's cave only way out of Vault 87 anymore. It had collapsed main entrance some where, and Lamplights caves served as alternative route.

FEV itself seems to be different from previous Fallouts (or atleast in Fallout 1). Test subjects in Vault 87 were pure humans (or were they?) and by so, with Fallout 1 theory, they should have become super intelligent mutants. In Fallout 3 test results stated that they became dumb and even died to their dumbness. Only people exposed to radiation for whole their age should result as dumb regular Super mutants, by fallout 1 theory.

Are centaurs samekind creatures like in earlier Fallouts? If my memory serves me right then Master dipped various animals (and not humans) in FEV together and so they did not have human features. If they are same they probably are creations of FEV.

A lot of questions. I hope that Fallout 3 can answer them, but i "fear" not.
teeny

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 am

Yes your right. Mutants were trouble, but are not anymore. I'm knowledge is bit thin with Vault 87 and Lamplight, as i like rushed to GECK without much bothering to learn everything... What is there to be learned from history of Lamplight? How long has it been there preventing mutants moving from Vault to wasteland and vice verse? what kind trouble mutants have been in past, in other words have they tried seriously to get past Lamplight? And is Lamplight's cave only way out of Vault 87 anymore. It had collapsed main entrance some where, and Lamplights caves served as alternative route.

FEV itself seems to be different from previous Fallouts (or atleast in Fallout 1). Test subjects in Vault 87 were pure humans (or were they?) and by so, with Fallout 1 theory, they should have become super intelligent mutants. In Fallout 3 test results stated that they became dumb and even died to their dumbness. Only people exposed to radiation for whole their age should result as dumb regular Super mutants, by fallout 1 theory.

Are centaurs samekind creatures like in earlier Fallouts? If my memory serves me right then Master dipped various animals (and not humans) in FEV together and so they did not have human features. If they are same they probably are creations of FEV.

A lot of questions. I hope that Fallout 3 can answer them, but i "fear" not.

The original fallout three super mutants were created from vault dwellers. On the matter of the differences in development, it seems that the level of intelligence is very hit or miss (ex, fawkes was intelligent) when transformed. Lamplight was a theme park of sorts that a school had gone to on a field trip. Lamplight's founders were the kids from that field trip who were trapped when the bombs fell.

Also I believe its stated that Vault 87 is merely surrounded by a highly radioactive region, not a collapsed entrance. This means that the super mutants can leave through the front door, because their highly resistant to radiation.
Mark Churchman

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:24 pm

The infection method, and possibly the FEV strain used, are not the same as what was used by the Master, so it isn't surprising that results are different.
Albert Wesker

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:02 pm

Lady Fortuna seemed to favor me and on my journeys i faced super mutant named Uncle Leo. North from Canterbury Common. He will tell you that he and other super mutants are created in cold, dark, metal place. He says that, his brothers brings there human captives which they turn into super mutants.

DarthRavanger: Ah yes. Thanks for setting my thoughts straight.

And wasn't it so that Master improved his intelligence by devouring other living beings, such as rats. Maybe they turn part of humans into Mutants and others they eat to make them smarter (would explain gore bags and such).
mike

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:37 am

*SPOILER*

You can, however, become a Vampire. Or at least something close. :)

*SPOILER*

You be a cannibal around level 10
REVLUTIN

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion