Fallout Vegas Rant

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:36 am

Alright, here's the deal. Fallout: Vegas has a VATS system. It doesn't work. That is it is inferior to not using VATS first and second it frequently malfunctions. It has an improved rep system. It also frequently malfunctions and arbitrarily decides what does and what does not damage your rep. I.e. some doors are orange(rep hit) and some are not in the same building. Locked is locked. People don't lock stuff for no reason. Avoid being seen to avoid the consequences sure but "white locks" ridiculous. The best energy weapon I've found for bypassing the new "armor" system is the Gauss rifle. YAAY. Wait, it consistently hits for half the damage it is supposed to both in and out of vats.(I have the perk that tattles on their health and armor) Fail...The special tree does not give equal return to all stats and this in turn can affect perk values. Gross lopsiding here.(I discussed this in a different thread. Bottom line is melee/explosives is ridiculous especially w/o using the (broken) Vats) Several quests make absolutely NO sense and direct you to someplace you couldn't possibly have known to go to to gather information you have already gained via another source(The khans is a good example). Finally, the icing on the cake....the game doesn't even ....... work. It freezes CONSTANTLY. I have played every Fallout released and enjoyed them. There are in fact even positive things about this one. Many in fact. What is not acceptable however is the roughshod piece of unfinished trash that you pushed on loyal fans. I WILL NOT BUY FROM YOU AGAIN. Was that dramatic? I wanted to be clear. I vote no to no accountability to your customers. Goodbye.
Nathan Maughan

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:06 pm

Wow... That was extremely difficult to read. Anyhoo...

It's likely this will be locked. It svcks that you've had such a miserable experience with the game but I can't say I understand most of your complaints (again, really hard to read).

As an aside, you're the same person that made an Intelligence stat rant as well, so I'm rather surprised that you didn't include that particular one. Here you go: http://http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1137078-intelligence/
rolanda h

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:29 pm

It's funny, I remember feeling the same way about fallout 3, I persevered and it turned out to be one of the best games I'd ever played.
Marina Leigh

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm

I would love it if just once a gamesas or Obsidian rep replied to one of these threads. It would be good to try and get an indication of whether or not they actually give a [censored].

Mind you, that's probably why they don't reply to these threads. Because there's no right thing for them to say.
Harry Leon

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Alright, here's the deal. Fallout: Vegas has a VATS system. It doesn't work. That is it is inferior to not using VATS first and second it frequently malfunctions. It has an improved rep system. It also frequently malfunctions and arbitrarily decides what does and what does not damage your rep. I.e. some doors are orange(rep hit) and some are not in the same building. Locked is locked. People don't lock stuff for no reason. Avoid being seen to avoid the consequences sure but "white locks" ridiculous. The best energy weapon I've found for bypassing the new "armor" system is the Gauss rifle. YAAY. Wait, it consistently hits for half the damage it is supposed to both in and out of vats.(I have the perk that tattles on their health and armor) Fail...The special tree does not give equal return to all stats and this in turn can affect perk values. Gross lopsiding here.(I discussed this in a different thread. Bottom line is melee/explosives is ridiculous especially w/o using the (broken) Vats) Several quests make absolutely NO sense and direct you to someplace you couldn't possibly have known to go to to gather information you have already gained via another source(The khans is a good example). Finally, the icing on the cake....the game doesn't even ....... work. It freezes CONSTANTLY. I have played every Fallout released and enjoyed them. There are in fact even positive things about this one. Many in fact. What is not acceptable however is the roughshod piece of unfinished trash that you pushed on loyal fans. I WILL NOT BUY FROM YOU AGAIN. Was that dramatic? I wanted to be clear. I vote no to no accountability to your customers. Goodbye.

I have to agree with you. I have enjoyed the other fallout games and this one could be really great too but really it is a piece of junk. Constant freezes, I cant get into the strip anymore because it corrupts the save and to top it off now I'm stuck in vault 34 and cant get out because it freezes everytime I try to open the vault door to leave!!! This game is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Motionsharp

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:32 pm

That's not dealing with it. That's ignoring the problem. That solves nothing.

Sure, you could argue that complaining solves nothing either. But complaining has more chance of solving this games problems than doing nothing does. And for the record I do all three of those things you just mentioned, whilst I'm not on these forums. But as soon as I'm on these forums, that's me on the war path. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people. If you don't like it. Deal. With. It.

How?
Calum Campbell

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Oh I see what you did thar hahahaa.... :o

well you know, I suppose it takes more energy to rant than to just try again... I've ranted some times but I think if you just learn to accept that this game has to be refined a bit more... i dunno, it svcks but meh, i'd rather just try to get back to what I was doing and since I have a gajillion save slots taken up and save when I enter a building i don't run into so many problems anymore...
Ana

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 pm

I would love it if just once a gamesas or Obsidian rep replied to one of these threads. It would be good to try and get an indication of whether or not they actually give a [censored].

Mind you, that's probably why they don't reply to these threads. Because there's no right thing for them to say.

Or all they can say is "We are working on the patch."

Which they have said before; its in the sticky posts. When Gstaff added an update in response to people constantly asking for one, saying that they were still working on it, someone reported his update post as trolling.

Wanted to update everyone on the status of the game updates/patches. We're working on the final touches for PC, 360, and PS3. Once they're available, we'll let you know

If they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, and anything other than "We're working on it." will immediately be used out of context and taken apart letter by letter to use as rant material, why the heck should they bother to answer until they can say "The patch is released."?

No matter what they do, they'll probably never be able to satisfy some of the people posting about problems and issues, or, for that matter, manage to duplicate and fix every issue that every single person might have. I don't think anything will be said until they can say the current patch is released.
Emmi Coolahan

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:59 am

Ive had the game freeze and crashed Ive lost count but Iam pushing on , My problem was/is my vid card . After some surfing there is a some notes saying that there are some Vid type that this game does freezes and or crashs. Also Heat in my PC was a factor .
To over come these prob Ive got a bigger fan ( or you can get a new Vid card ) , I reduced the detail of the game in Options
these have all but fix the probs , still get a few crashs but on the whole Iam still enjoying the game.
Marion Geneste

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Sheesh, Fallout 3 was worse then this when it came out.
Chris Guerin

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:40 pm

I still feels New Vegas more enjoyable even with the crashes, FO3 have large scenarios but not much to see.
Lynne Hinton

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Solution: Don't use VATS.

I decided long ago in Fallout 3 that VATS ruined immersion for me, so I downloaded other uses for my AP... a sprint mod, and a bullet time mod.
Marnesia Steele

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:04 pm

OP... take a chill pill man... Jesus H. Christ... It happens to all of us at some point just learn to deal with it, and by deal with it I mean make extra save slots, save frequently like you would for ANY sandbox game like grand theft, oblivion, etc...

Don't be a little girl and cry about it, man up, exit the program (or power down your console) and reload. That's all the advice I have for this since most of your rant is irrelavent at best...

The other points you bring up about VATS is silly, it works just fine, if it's not accurate enough, get commando or whatever if you don't like the game's content either try harder to embrace it or just sell your game back. IDK what else to say to people like this. If you're going to rant, at least provide some kind of sound argument, along with a plausible solution.

Since i've gotten the patch, i've learned to accept that this game needs more work than others i've played and i've adapted to meet those needs. You should do the same. It's thread like this that inspire more radroaches to crawl out of the wall and rant too and that in turn inspires more people to bandwagon and pour salt on a wound that never needed to have attention drawn to it. I remember playing Lord of the Rings battle for middle earth once and having chipped away at my enemy's defenses for over an hour of battle exchange, had the damn thing freeze on me.. I would have won too, he was on his last legs but instead of having my head explode I just reloaded the program, and fought him again...
Sophie Morrell

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Which they have said before

I don't think we still live in a world where developers can fly stealth for a month at a time, with only "Soon" and "We're working on it" thrown out to confuse player radar. Especially when they release patches that are not, shall we say, 100% improvement (I'm looking at you, person-who-completely-broke-lever-action-guns). Between forums, text messaging, blogging, and twitterlikes, players want to feel connected in a constantly thrumming web of stuff happening. It's what they want and are coming to expect. It doesn't even need to be time-consuming bidirectional communication, just push out a daily list of fixes that were verified as completed and ready for the next release and a "18 of 34 issues resolved"-style summary. Players will shut up and leave the developers alone about "When's the patch coming? Are we there yet are we there yet" if they can see actual progress being made. Stealthy developers = customers clawing the draqes. Busy developers = customers entertained.
Leanne Molloy

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:59 pm

Is it just console users who are having problems with VATS?

I'm playing on my laptop and I've noticed only very minor glitches like the occasional creatures stuck inside the terrain, etc., but never any problems with VATS.
ImmaTakeYour

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:51 pm

What is not acceptable however is the roughshod piece of unfinished trash that you pushed on loyal fans. I WILL NOT BUY FROM YOU AGAIN. Was that dramatic? I wanted to be clear. I vote no to no accountability to your customers. Goodbye.

I haven't had those problems with this game. I don't often use VATS, so I can't comment on that. I will say this though: For the short period of time Obsidian worked on this game, I think they did a darn good job. It might have done them some good to have had several more months, but it is what it is, and what it is, well, is enough for me.
Ells

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 am

Which they have said before; its in the sticky posts. When Gstaff added an update in response to people constantly asking for one, saying that they were still working on it, someone reported his update post as trolling.

If they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, and anything other than "We're working on it." will immediately be used out of context and taken apart letter by letter to use as rant material, why the heck should they bother to answer until they can say "The patch is released."?

No matter what they do, they'll probably never be able to satisfy some of the people posting about problems and issues, or, for that matter, manage to duplicate and fix every issue that every single person might have. I don't think anything will be said until they can say the current patch is released.

People these days :D

@OP

It was hard to read your great wall, should break it up a little by making it into "mini" paragraphs. While I still read it, I have not come across most of your problems. svcks that your having an awful time with the game though.
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Thats all Gstaff can say, not they as in the people we are talking about. Gstaff is a Community Manager, or so the title says, so I would expect that from that person and a little more competency in the forums too but I suppose thats hard to come by in such a hierarchy where we are placed in the pits of ignorance.

It would be nice to have a little less disambiguity and a little more comfort than the constant wave of sarcastic-locked moderator posts and the only helpfulness coming from the community itself.

Basically, I'm saying to Beth/Obs/whatever do your job better.

EDIT:

You know fine well that is being naive, accepting that peoples subjective opinions will never be satisfied is the first basic ideology of a conversation; saying that some peoples hardware/software problems (which I see is the majority here in these forums) as not being satisfied is being crudely ignorant of the situation.

I think the levity of the hardware/software complications over all three platforms concludes the fact that no comment from anyone can calm the crowd down now, in a state of contradiction.

Reno
Elea Rossi

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:28 am

Thats all Gstaff can say, not they as in the people we are talking about. Gstaff is a Community Manager, or so the title says, so I would expect that from that person and a little more competency in the forums too but I suppose thats hard to come by in such a hierarchy where we are placed in the pits of ignorance.

It would be nice to have a little less disambiguity and a little more comfort than the constant wave of sarcastic-locked moderator posts and the only helpfulness coming from the community itself.

Basically, I'm saying to Beth/Obs/whatever do your job better.

Gstaff's job is to convey messages from the Bethesda team to the community. Since there is no magical way to know when the devs will be done with patching, QA will be done testing, Steam, Microsoft and Sony will be done approving...there would be nothing specific they could give. At one time there was dead silence from Bethesda about patching. No reassurance there would be one, nothing. Gstaff was hired and not he works hard to come by almost daily to reassure us there will be a patch. That is what they can tell us. They can't give us much more than that. And really, that is what we want at this point I imagine. A patch and we want it when it is a good stable patch.

Can you give us a suggestion of what else they can do to comfort us?
Undisclosed Desires

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:49 pm

My main complaint to Bethesda is that, can you once, pay more attention to PS3 players?
I'm not even worrying about DLC, because it's going to take 2 years for it to come for PS3 anyways and then it's going to make the game crash.
Not too worried about patches either, since everything on PC and XBOX gets dealt with first.
Microsoft must have Bethesda by the balls.
Lisa

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 pm

On PS3 and games crased 5 times in 65ish hours. I think thats acceptable. More than acceptable really.
Pumpkin

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:50 pm

I have to agree with you. I have enjoyed the other fallout games and this one could be really great too but really it is a piece of junk. Constant freezes, I cant get into the strip anymore because it corrupts the save and to top it off now I'm stuck in vault 34 and cant get out because it freezes everytime I try to open the vault door to leave!!! This game is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the problem of constant crashes too. Last time I was able to play for about 7 minutes before the game crashed again. It's not my computer, it's the game. Everyone is having this problem. This should not have been released until these problems were addressed. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were a little glitchy at release too, but this is way, way worse.
Nienna garcia

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Everyone is having this problem.

I'm sorry but we both know that simply is not true. Some people are having issues, no question about it. I can play for hours without crashes. It's just not an issue for me, thankfully. I did have a freeze issue but if left alone the game would continue after a period of time. After the 1.2.0.285 patch that seems to have gone away. At least I have yet to see it again since. I also had a few saves get corrupted on the original build. That's been happening since Morrowind (to some) so I knew better and save often. I lost 20 minutes. Took me 10 to do it again seeing I knew what to do.

Be confident they are working on a patch and when it's done to their satisfaction it will be set free.
Joey Bel

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm sorry but we both know that simply is not true. Some people are having issues, no question about it. I can play for hours without crashes. It's just not an issue for me, thankfully. I did have a freeze issue but if left alone the game would continue after a period of time. After the 1.2.0.285 patch that seems to have gone away. At least I have yet to see it again since. I also had a few saves get corrupted on the original build. That's been happening since Morrowind (to some) so I knew better and save often. I lost 20 minutes. Took me 10 to do it again seeing I knew what to do.

Be confident they are working on a patch and when it's done to their satisfaction it will be set free.

Aye, true enough.

With regards to the patching, I wouldn't be surprised if in fixing some of the problems that are occuring other have cropped up and in fixing those yet more have appeared so it might take a bit of time for them to get a reasonably safe patch out to us. I know with MMO's quite often a patch mucks something else up in the MMO, which is why I'm not too worried that the patch from Obsidian is taking a bit of time for them to get ready for us unwashed hordes :P.
benjamin corsini

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:33 am

You all are missing a basic point because it has so become the "norm". Test your [censored] as finished before you release. If you do not you did not do your job....you sold a car that had no emissions system and no radio if not missing a motor... Buy a car like that as a new car at a dealership would ya? Didn't think so..and it is a stand alone game not a multiplayer...i dont expect patches for issues they either knew about or should have known about with a game like that...It. Is. Sloppy. Work.
Samantha Mitchell

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas