Fallout 3 Wont Install on Windows 7 x64Bit

Post » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:34 pm

I purchased Fallout 3 a ways back when it was first released. It installed and played nicely on my Windows XP. A few months later, my computer crashed and I had it replaced. The same retail store replaced the computer with a newer model and Windows Vista. The game installed nicely and played smoother. Then again, my computer crashed. Okay okay... So I didn't check for dust. My bad. Its almost like not checking the cars oil. Okay, so I have had that happen too. So lets get back to the point.... I purchased a new Duel Core 2 running Windows 7... and it just refuses to install... giving data2.cab error ... My Disk Is Not Scratched.

Feature transfer error
Component: Fallout 3
File: E:\data2.cab
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Note: It is not just me.... all over the internet, people are complaining about this very same issue. There has to be a fix for it.
IsAiah AkA figgy

Post » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:59 am

Try to install it in Safe Mode. To get to Safe Mode, restart the computer, and ofter POST screen, repeatedly tap F8. Choose Boot in Safe Mode and install as you usually would. Post back if this helps.If it doesn't work, the DVD-Rom may be faulty. You could try and install it in another computer. If it installs, then the drive is definitely bad, and it may be time to get a new one or swap drives.
Steve Bates

Post » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Try to install it in Safe Mode. To get to Safe Mode, restart the computer, and ofter POST screen, repeatedly tap F8. Choose Boot in Safe Mode and install as you usually would. Post back if this helps.If it doesn't work, the DVD-Rom may be faulty. You could try and install it in another computer. If it installs, then the drive is definitely bad, and it may be time to get a new one or swap drives.

Process: Attempted to run windows safe mode and install the game as instructed.

Result: Failure to detect sound.

* Safe mode does not allow sound? funny. So I attempt to restore sound in safe mode... which failed.

Note: Prior to asking for help, I remember someone saying why not just copy the disk to the computer... then install it that way. I attempted to copy the disk content in regular mode, yet it still did not detect the same data2... cant understand why when its right there on the disk?! Possible it was write protected? Unable to resolve or extract that one file, over different attempts.

** BUT, Since I was in safe mode, and unable to install... I figured why not attempt to copy the disk contents in safe mode. And Guess What?!!!! It did it again.... 99% all the way through, missing 30 seconds from copying 149 files over... all because of that ONE FILE! It just stood there trying its hardest to get it in a loop. Then after it gave up, it gave the same error message. DATA2!!! ... Of course I was unable to just copy the file over myself either.

Any other ideas?
+ It's not the disk drive
+ It's not the game disk
- It's the data2 cab file!!!!
- It's Windows 7!!!!
joeK

Post » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:10 pm

I found a possible solution from a different game yet related on help with same data2.cab file error.

Solution Source: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-504457.html

I Followed Directions And Attempted This Solution.
Result: FAILED

DEFAULT FEATURE
componet- FALLOUT 3
file- D:\data2.cab,
Error- Data error(cyclic redundancy check)

================
Searched Again
================

I found another game having same issue....

Solution Source: http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=167&Itemid=243#24
Suggested Utility: http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/

I downloaded this file and ran it...
WAOH!!!
It automatically detected the data2.cab error and ... 11 other errors in the DXREDIST and 1 in G4WL

So, did it fix the errors?!!
I dunno... Re-installing now.

Result: FAILED!
Suggestion: GET A DIFFERENT DISK - YOUR CDKEY WILL STILL WORK, YOUR GAME DISK WILL STILL WORK TO IDENTIFY THE KEY --- JUST THE SIMPLE DATA2.CAB FILE IS CORRUPT.
Damian Parsons

Post » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:32 pm

** BUT, Since I was in safe mode, and unable to install... I figured why not attempt to copy the disk contents in safe mode. And Guess What?!!!! It did it again.... 99% all the way through, missing 30 seconds from copying 149 files over... all because of that ONE FILE! It just stood there trying its hardest to get it in a loop. Then after it gave up, it gave the same error message. DATA2!!! ... Of course I was unable to just copy the file over myself either.

Any other ideas?
+ It's not the disk drive
+ It's not the game disk
- It's the data2 cab file!!!!
- It's Windows 7!!!!

Any chance that you are using a FAT32 formatted hard drive or partition as the installation location?
Ray

Return to Fallout 3