Fantastic Creatures of Cyrodiil and Where to Find Them

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:58 am

---Work In Progress---

This is a roleplaying fact book written by me. In The Elder Scrolls, I pretend that this is an actual book, written from the perspective of a High Elf Enchanter (Custom class) and researcher living in Skingrad (My character Cirali, actually), containing his research and facts about the various monsters, animals, and undead of Cyrodiil. The title and quite possibly the contents are a parody of the Harry Potter book, Fantastic beasts and where to find them. Enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic Creatures of Cyrodiil and Where to Find Them
By Cirali

Welcome to Fantastic Creatures of Cyrodiil and Where to Find Them, the first of what I hope to be a series of fact books on the denizens of this universe. This one focuses on the Tamriel's Province of Cyrodiil, the Imperial heartland and my home. Since I am familiar with Cyrodiil, I thought it best to test out how I could write the books with something I am already knowledgable about. The book is set out into three sections - the standard animals of the land, the more powerful and sometimes intelligent monsters, and finally the fearful undead. All of these sections are in alphabetical order for the reader's conveniance.

Animals

Animals are the most numerous creatures in the Province. Luckily, most are not particularly dangerous and are easily dispatched or even better, actually avoided by the wary traveller. Some don't even have the incentive to attack, preferring to flee from their foes. And yet some actively hunt and seek enemies. Overall, however, Animals are not usually something to be troubled over for an adventurer or even a merchant traveller.

Bears
Bears are not extremely common, but they are not rare either. Bears usually actively search fruit and honey, but also fish in streams. Brown Bears are the more dangerous of the two, so be sure you are readily equipped and experienced before you face one off. Browns are found in the Colovian Highlands near Skingrad and Kvatch, whilst the weaker Blacks are most commonly found in mountain ranges, particularly the Jerall Mountains. Bears are solitary, preferring their own company, and do not have any specific breeding location or time. Bears hibernate during cold winters, meaning that they hide away in caves and the like so as to keep warm. The Black Bear has a shaggy coat to keep itself warm. All bears have sharp, powerful teeth, and a docile but reactive temperament.

Boars
Boars are aggressive pigs that are quite slow. Fortunately, Boars are quite rare, yet are found all over western and southern Cyrodiil. Boars tend to spend their days using their tusks to dig for truffles to eat, and often wallow in mud pits. Boars tend to live in loose herds which are spread out over Blackwood, Colovia, and sometimes even Niben Valley and rarely the mountain ranges. These herds are female only, however - The males are completely solitary.

Deer
Deer are common all over Cyrodiil. They are the main source of prey for most predators, and so are extremely fast to flee from them. If they do not detect a threat, they will spend their days grazing in grassy areas. Males will attack any possible threat, though females will run away. Deer have a wonderful meat called Venison, a particular favourite of mine, especially raw...

Dogs
Dogs are domesticated wolves, and therefore are very rarely found outside in the wilderness, unless accompanying a group of bandits. Dogs eat meat, and tend to howl at deceased bodies. They are found in cities and bandit camps, as that is where their owners usually live. But if you want to see a dog, I reccomend you just head on down to your local pet store and buy one.

Horses
Again, horses are common in major cities as mounts, but various wild bands are not unheard of, especially in Colovia. Like deer, they spend most of their days grazing grass.

Mountain Lion
Truly dangerous beasts, Lions tend to reside in lowland hills and highlands - Since Colovia is a mass of this, I have seen plenty of the creatures. Efficient pack hunters, Lions hunt deer primarily, working as a coordinated pack to single out one or two in a chase. The male does not hunt, however, it is the females which do this. But the male gets the first pick of the kill! Oh, how parasitic. Those male lions ought to be ashamed.

Mud Crab
I don't see many Mud Crabs as Skingrad is not near a lake or the ocean, but people in Leyawiin, Bravil, Anvil and even the Imperial City like to bang on about them a lot. Giant crabs that enjoy jumping on the unwary traveller, they are fascinating creatures if left alone, generally residing on the beds of lakes and oceans and feeding on smaller crustaceans and also fish. It is not uncommon to see Slaughterfish fighting these crabs.

Rats
Giant rats tend to live in or around caves, and are notorious pests in the Imperial City Sewers, so I hear. Rats are extremely aggressive and quick, but are not a large threat. Rats live off fungi and dead meat, including Goblins. Rats are often diseased, so be extra cautious to avoid these vicious animals.

Sheep
The primary domesticated animal of Cyrodiil, sheep are exceptionally rare in the wilderness, perhaps because they are not quick and easy targets for lions and wolves. You can see them grazing in farming areas.

Slaughterfish
In Cyrodiil, Slaughterfish are actually only found in the grand Lake Rumare and the oceans surrounding. Deadly, fast, and remorseless killers, they hunt smaller fish, Mud Crabs, and each other. They tend to have spectacular battles with Mud Crabs, ending with either the Slaughterfish cracking the crab's shell and devouring it or either the crab scaring the beast away, or slicing it dead with it's claws. Because of these fish, you MUST NOT swim in Lake Rumare unless you are an experianced adventurer.

Unicorn
Possibly the rarest beast in all of Cyrodiil, the few Unicorns that exist live in the moonlit forests north of Bravil. They are generally peaceful but do not tolerate any weapon being drawn. Unicorn tend to prefer women over men, and if provoked, can be devestating with their seemingly beautiful horn. Unicorns eat grass, and spend the days grazing. They seem to have a relationship with Minotaurs in the area, living peacefully together - Perhaps they accept each other as they are both horned creatures.

Wolf
Common hunters, wolves are notorious for killing off the precious sheep of farmers. They are fearless and will hunt horses, sheep, and deer with a vengeance. There are also similar Timber wolves, which are even more deadly. Wolves are found all over Cyrodiil, and are very similar to dogs.
gemma king

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Monsters
The Monsters of Cyrodiil are mythical and powerful monsters, often difficult to locate. Almost all Monsters are deadly beings... unless you're experienced, it would be wise to flee from these strange creatures.

Goblins
Goblins are lowly, green, chimp-like creatures. Goblins thrive in caves and sewers. Goblins appear to be semi-sentient, forming tribal clans and domesticating various creatures. Goblins enjoy eating Giant rats, the meat of which is generally poisonous, hinting that Goblins may have many defensive traits against disease and poisons. This makes sense, seeing as they have adapted to areas which are ridden with them. Goblins are aggressive to other clans and other species, and are quite fast and deceptively powerful.

Imps
Imps are winged Daedra-like creatures that are about the size of a large baby. Imps can be found everywhere apart from grassy plains, and tend to enjoy the presence of ancient Ayleid ruins, hinting a connection of some kind. Imps are able to use weak Destruction spells, like Flare. Individual Imps tend to use a specific sort of element, style, and spell, which is used as identification with other Imps. Imps attack on sight, but are easily domesticated and are a favoured pet amongst magical folk. I myself enjoy the company of my own electric-specialized Imp, Pan.

Land Dreughs
Dreughs are not native to Cyrodiil, but Dreughs living far south of Leyawiin occasionally experiance a temporary metamorphosis - onto land. With their new legs, the Dreughs swim north to Blackwood, within which they live for a few months. Dreughs undergo this to breed, as the ocean is too dangerous to lay eggs in - Slaughterfish and Mudcrabs would soon have them, maybe even a Horker or two. Land Dreughs are often known as 'Billies' to the residents of Blackwood, and are considered a large danger. These Dreughs are no less harmless than an oceanic one - They will attack on sight.

Minotaur
Minotaurs are semi-rare beings that resemble a heavily muscled human torso with a bull's legs and head. Minotaurs are slightly intelligent, as they know how to use warhammers. Minotaurs wander all over Cyrodiil but it is thought that their origins lie in the forests north of Bravil, where many Minotaurs can be found, so much that Imperial guards constantly patrol the road and advise everybody not to leave it. Minotaurs inherit the agression of a bull and are one of the most powerful of Cyrodiil's denizens. Minotaurs are herbivorous, eating only grass. As a Minotaur matures, it soon becomes a Minotaur Lord, which is much more powerful and, undisputedly, the most powerful living creature native to Cyrodiil. Lords are extremely rare, and tend to reside in the more secluded areas of Cyrodiil.

Ogre
Kelly Upshall

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:05 am

---Placeholder---
Danial Zachery

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:55 am

That was... different.

I'm not quite sure I understand what's happening. In fact, I just spilled my coffee all down my f ing pants. Ow...
I think this is fanfic my friend. But it reminds me of Redsrock's Kwama fanfic over on Chorrol.com.

haha. umm

Keep going!
StunnaLiike FiiFii

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:56 pm

I like the idea, would be fun for you (if you're on the PC) to use the CS and write it so you can use it in the game. There are some things which are a bit odd though, like:

Boars are quite rare, yet are found all over western and southern Cyrodiil.

Doesn't make them sound so rare. :P
Genocidal Cry

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 am

This sounds interesting... Just, please, please actually finish it. And then make a mini-mod out of it, with a dozen or so books spread around Cyrodiil. Or something like that... Heh. That is, if you're on the PC, as Serenity up there above mentioned.
Laura Elizabeth

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:39 pm

I think it would be cool to make a 'Guide to Cyrodil' book quest. like, you have a book like this one, and you have to go see each animal or whatever the book is about for yourself.

Or to assist someone write a book like this by acting as their 'adventuring labrat', eg.- you have to go and find out the way certain creatures fight and defend themselves in combat. Like in Fallout 3, you do small quests for a girl writing a 'Wasteland Survival Guide'

It could be called 'Cyrodil and You' or something.

So, is your new Cirali going to continue grandpa/or father Cirali's (your original Cirali) work.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:51 am

Cirali is remade exactly the same since I deleted him, just with a custom class instead of a mage. Still a Vampire, still looks the same, and blegh.

I'll get editing and finish Animals off, anyway.
Mari martnez Martinez

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:46 am

You should add in actual new animals that we don't all know about! That would be a great read. Seeing what fantastical creatures you could create, you could inspire Roleplayers to use these creatures.
Veronica Flores

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:00 pm

That was... different.

I'm not quite sure I understand what's happening. In fact, I just spilled my coffee all down my f ing pants. Ow...
I think this is fanfic my friend. But it reminds me of Redsrock's Kwama fanfic over on Chorrol.com.

haha. umm

Keep going!

Its a guide to creatures in Tamriel.... COuld be considered Fan fic, but Im not sure whats so hard to understand.

INteresting enough, but I felt it could have used more detail on some creatures.
sara OMAR

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Thats... Interesting... a creature archive for roleplayers!

I might make a new thread for it, people seem interested enough in this one.
Crystal Clarke

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:39 pm

More detail and, i think this would be much more enjoyable with some personality and bias. Look at PGE 1st edition. Throw some of that in.
Miss K

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Actually, I think it would be much much more enjoyable if you made it like a Medieval bestiary and got a lot of things wrong. Medieval bestiaries often gave ordinary creatures ridiculous powers (they thought http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/HistSciTech/HistSciTech-idx?type=turn&id=HistSciTech.Bestiary&entity=HistSciTech000600170028&q1=lynx) and included ludicrous fictional animals people really thought existed but didn't (my favourite: http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/HistSciTech/HistSciTech-idx?type=turn&id=HistSciTech.Bestiary&entity=HistSciTech000600170039&q1=bonnacon. Seriously.) http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/HistSciTech/subcollections/BestiaryAbout.html

Then someone could take this and make a mod to have it as an actual in-game book. Preferably with illustrated woodcuts.
suzan

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion