FastExit2 vs. Windom Earle's Obl. Crash Prevention System

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:34 am

Hi guys!

I've already got FastExit 2 installed, but the Windom Earle thingy (love his name!) seems really cool...

Question:

1) are the compatible / complementary?

2) is Earle's utility any good?

3) any probs with Streamline?

I'm asking coz I'm getting quite a few CTDs and frankly its a pain.

(I'm pretty handy with Wrye Bash by now, edit cleaning, bashed patch, BOSS, load order, got those down pretty good, so additional links regarding those arent necessary)
Jerry Cox

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:00 am

I have around 400 mods installed, and never crash. It could be you need to do things more carefully and methodically.

As for the mod in question, it is at best a temporary patch for various unspecificied ills.

It does not conflict with FE2 though, for what that is worth. Personally, my advice is, stick with what you have, and - as I alluded to above - go through your mods again, read the readme files (and heed their advice), look up current release threads, and maybe have a look here too: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Main_Page
TOYA toys

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 pm

I have around 400 mods installed, and never crash. It could be you need to do things more carefully and methodically.

As for the mod in question, it is at best a temporary patch for various unspecificied ills.

It does not conflict with FE2 though, for what that is worth. Personally, my advice is, stick with what you have, and - as I alluded to above - go through your mods again, read the readme files (and heed their advice), look up current release threads, and maybe have a look here too: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Main_Page

400 mods?!?

I thought Wrye Bash's limit is at 255... or is that after bashed patching?
Brad Johnson

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Bashing and merging allows you to get by that limit. And it's not WB's limit, it's what the game can handle. I think there still is a limit on how many files can be in the data folder.

Anyway, they don't conflict, i'm using them all. I still get more crashes than prevented crashes, though :shrug: I think i'm just pushing the poor engine too hard.
Anthony Rand

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:09 am

Are you by any chance using kuertee's "Clean-Up"?

I was thinking about doing that, just scared it might delete stuff that I'd rather keep lying around...
Danial Zachery

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am

I even have no clue what that is :hehe:
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:24 pm

I even have no clue what that is :hehe:

Just wondering, do you use any autosave functions? if so, which?
I read that its probably best setting them in streamline...

i just had another CTD after extensive loot sorting, which is really annoying since i always forget saving afterwards, so maybe i should rethink using autosaves.
Bee Baby

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 am

As for a autosave mod, you might want to take a look at this one from Duke Patrick. (spookyfx.com on these forums. :) )

http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1228478-relz-duke-patricks-safe-save/
Bek Rideout

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:42 am

I read that its probably best setting them in streamline...

I usually have them all off, but i've left them all on this time. Sometimes crashes on cell switch, but mostly have caused no trouble. None have corrupted yet either in 110 hours with current character.
Shae Munro

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:03 am

Coincidentally, I was just researching these two mods myself last night. I was interested because my Oblivion randomly disappears on me. The whole thing just goes...poof! No freezes, no error messages. It vanishes and a split-second later I'm looking at my desktop.

A few of the comments about weOCPS over at TES Nexus are claiming it has corrupted their saves. Has anybody here experienced this?
Ash

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 pm

I've had weOCPS installed pretty much every time i've played Oblivion and can count my corrupted saves with one hand :hehe:
Nicholas

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:53 am

I've been using WEOCPS & FastExit2 in tandem for quite a long time, and I've never had trouble with either one. They've saved me so much grief that I'll probably never play the game again without both of them. That said, I don't use Streamline, so I don't know how that might change things.
Ross Thomas

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:42 pm

I've got all three, (StremLine just for StreamSaves) I think the thoughts are, something causes a crash, and if it's Prevented, then it gets saved in the savefile, and those build up, corupting your game. :shrug:
Makenna Nomad

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 am

The nature of weOCPS makes data corruption in your saves a legitimate risk. Any time you forcefully bypass crashes you could be preserving junk data the game doesn't want and can't accept. If people say they're getting corrupt saves, I'm not the least bit surprised by that.
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 am

Coincidentally, I was just researching these two mods myself last night. I was interested because my Oblivion randomly disappears on me. The whole thing just goes...poof! No freezes, no error messages. It vanishes and a split-second later I'm looking at my desktop.

A few of the comments about weOCPS over at TES Nexus are claiming it has corrupted their saves. Has anybody here experienced this?

Yes. It was a 200+ hours save which the game refused to load. I had to revert back to an earlier save and wipe weOCPS out of the system.
Rhysa Hughes

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 pm

I Don't Generally run WeOcpS, but I started this game with it enabled insteaded of FastExit2, by the time I'd realized it, I allready had over 150 hours on it.
Stacey Mason

Return to IV - Oblivion