Fatigue

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I noticed alot of quicktravel and hardcoe mode threads but I have yet to see a thread specifically for debating one of the most influential mechanics, or in Oblivion's case least, in an Elderscrolls game.
So essentially between Morrowind and Oblivion the fatigue system underwent a plethora of changes and from my understanding of the systems, which is admittedly a little foggy, in Oblivion endurance had no effect on fatigue regeneration (the formula for GOTY PC ended up always evaluating to 10 per second maximum at any level), while in Morrowind endurance was a VERY large determining factor of regen.

Even if this is not the case should endurance play a bigger rold in regen?

Should someone be able to run and recover fatigue? Perhaps a sprinting/jogging/walking system should be implemented for better control of fatigue burn.

Should being physically exhausted have more dire consequences; ie, a chance of stumbling, or a blurred screen/panting, dramatically reduced speed and damage? Maybe a character could still push itself?
carla

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:30 am

I guess in O they made it so Athletics would reduce the impact that strenuous activities (running, jumping, swimming) had on Fatigue loss.

I think in M things like casting a spell, wielding a weapon or readying an arrow would consume fatigue, which was fine by me.

Your last sentence is interesting. Yes, I believe fatigue loss should mean more than "watch out, you can still run like a guepardo for 5 seconds, then pls deactivate the Run key so your Athletics skill kicks in and helps you recover F".
Britney Lopez

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:37 am

I guess in O they made it so Athletics would reduce the impact that strenuous activities (running, jumping, swimming) had on Fatigue loss.

I think in M things like casting a spell, wielding a weapon or readying an arrow would consume fatigue, which was fine by me.

Your last sentence is interesting. Yes, I believe fatigue loss should mean more than "watch out, you can still run like a guepardo for 5 seconds, then pls deactivate the Run key so your Athletics skill kicks in and helps you recover F".

Yeah my level 33 character in Oblivion 360 recovers fatigue somthing feirce while running haha. I actually got the idea primarily by messing around with miscallaneous realism mods on my PC loadout of Oblivion.
megan gleeson

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 am

its pretty unrealistic for someone to be wearing full heavy armor and running at full speed for however long you feel like making them run around.
hopefully this will be taken care of in skyrim :goodjob:
Sharra Llenos

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:08 pm

You know, one of the most annoying mods I ever loaded up in Oblivion was a "realistic" fatigue mod. Something about getting tired and collapsing during a fight or being forced to walk everywhere so I wouldn't collapse got very old very fast. It got removed rather quickly.

I would hate to have something like that hard-coded into the game.
Shannon Marie Jones

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:11 pm

You know, one of the most annoying mods I ever loaded up in Oblivion was a "realistic" fatigue mod. Something about getting tired and collapsing during a fight or being forced to walk everywhere so I wouldn't collapse got very old very fast. It got removed rather quickly.

I would hate to have something like that hard-coded into the game.

I have to admit alot of them were really harsh
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 am

How about if both fatigue and health changed significantly? I'm thinking sort of the way the UFO games did health (they didn't have fatigue though). Not a single bar of health, but a bar with some areas, typically colored or shaded, in them. For health, something like:
* Temporary Damage. Heals itself over normal time without rest. Could be a stun, knockout, or a shock effect. But if you're low in general, it can be fatal.
* Permanent Damage. Can't be healed without medical (could be a new skill). Resting, potions, and heal spells won't fix anything beyond that point.
* Normal Damage. Can be healed like today, and works with resting, potions, and spells.

Examples of these damages, in game and real life:
* Temporary. A fumbled blow with a sword, hitting with the flat side, causing pain. Hitting yourself with a hammer - hurts like hell, but quickly wears off :D
* Permanent. Critical (but not same as fatal) damage, such as a successful critical hit. Breaking a leg. You won't get better simply by resting.
* Normal. Wounds that need treatment, but general not severe, such as a normal blow by a sword. Cuts that needs treatment.

The idea is to hook up Stamina to Health:
* The stamina bar can never outgrow the (normal) health bar. This makes sense to me in the way that if you're at low health, there is no way to can have excellent stamina.
* Anything causing a temporary damage (such as becoming knocked out), should completely drain your stamina as well.
* But effects to stamina can be countered by magic and potions. Makes them a lot more valuable.

Hospitals (please find a better word for it though, that suits a fantasy game :)):
* If instant fast travel is available (in its current form), availability should be restricted to large settlements.
* If MW based travel (or anything more inconvenient than the current system), availability should be increased. Maybe even in wilderness.

Maybe wild animals would anolyze the situation like in real life, where they tend to attack the weakest.

Encumbrance should affect stamina (and speed and agility/dexterity) too, in a gradual way. Based on your strength.

However, for this to work it's important that we have some means of evasion and hiding too. Let enemies search in your last known location and area around it, and throw in some perception modifier on the enemy and stealth based skill for us to determine success rate. Unlike most computer based RPGs I've played where you typically attack anything you see for XP, a good GM in a dice based game makes sure to keep scaling everything to force you into certain decisions. If he lets lvl1 players face the meanest bad guys there is, that's a clue to the player - don't pick this fight, and you're awarded by having the character for a while longer. So even if the health system becomes more difficult to live with, it shouldn't automatically mean causing the game to become a reload hell nightmare.
Hayley Bristow

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 am

Like Sean said, those were pretty harsh. And that's the problem, is they made it "realistic" instead of just "balanced." I would like a fatigue system that would penalize moving while carrying too much weight. Swimming especially.
james reed

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:14 am

For realistic fatigue, you need at lest 2 fatigue bars. One for short-term fatigue, like the one in Oblivion and Morrowind which recovers when you aren't doing too heavy work. Another one for long-term fatigue which steadily drops slowly all the time, and drops faster when you are active. It should recover when resting and eating(this makes sense, at the same time sleep and food will have a point without being annoyingly forced on you like those mods do).
The short-term fatigue should affect you steadily, depending on how much willpower you have it will affect you less. The long term fatigue shouldn't make much of a difference until it starts getting empty.
Motionsharp

Return to V - Skyrim