I finally made a mod that crashes the game!

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 5:06 am

So, I tried adding http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr50/Alaisiagae/Mod%20Screenshot%20MW/Misc/ashlander_gauntlets.jpg to the game. My .esp loaded just dandy, and I spawned the item in a sack in-game. I transfer it to my inventory with no problems. However, when I proceed to equip the item, the game freezes, and piercing noise comes out of my headset (which I'm not wearing, thankfully), and the game crashes to desktop with no other warnings. My desktop windows bar, and the wall paper have been shrunken, and I'm missing half my icons. The only way to fix that is to restart or log off and back on.

Here's stuff from my warnings text:
NiBone problem with Hand for "_AL_a_ranabi_L".
View warnings.txt for bone problems.
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger4" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger3" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger41" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger42" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger31" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger32" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger22" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger12" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger02" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger4" not found!
NiBone "Bip01 L Finger3" not found!

Hmmm, maybe the Nifskope error "Error! Blah Blah points to wrong block!" is actually something to take seriously (though darned if I know why it is throwing a hissy fit over a pair of rextextured indoril gauntlets).

Anyone know if I can fix this in Nifskope? If not, can it be fixed in another program (and would someone be willing to do so?)?

Thanks!

EDIT: If someone wants to take a look at it, I threw everything plus the Indoril meshes into a .zip http://www.mediafire.com/?adim55qujow.

And yes, I know how to set up body parts and assign them correctly, so I don't think that is an issue...
vicki kitterman

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 4:11 am

Snip

If you are using the model I sent you, I removed the skinning of the model. You are probably getting these errors as a result. I haven't done any CS work in a long time but I would imagine you have the model I sent you replacing the equipped version?
Devils Cheek

Post » Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Gloves/gauntlets replace the hand meshes (unless they're for Better Bodies, in which case they replace... the left wrist?), so they need bones and weighting. Sorry :shrug:

If you are really really lucky, you might be able to import the original meshes into Blender and copy the UV maps... :rolleyes:
Julie Serebrekoff

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 8:01 am

I don't get it. This is the same mesh as the ordinator gauntlets. I haven't done a darn thing to them other than retexture them and rename the mesh. These aren't the meshes you sent me, AnOldFriend3 - those are for groundmeshes. The mesh I assigned in the body part is just a modified ordinator mesh. Hm. Okay, well, actually, it's the 1st person hands mesh, and I just renamed it to not be .1st, because it is a pain in the noble seamstress to make my UV tweaks by hand to two sets of meshes of two gloves. :bonk: But I did make a .1st body part, I know enough to do that.

I've retextured gloves before with no problem. Even my frankensteined proof-of-concept light armor wraithguard worked when I cheated with the .1st.

This happens occasionally in Nifskope. I'll take a vanilla mesh, and if I re-save it - even if I make absolutely no changes whatsoever - it'll pop up an error in Nifskope about something pointing to a wrong block.

EDIT: If someone wants to take a look at it, I threw everything plus the Indoril meshes into a .zip http://www.mediafire.com/?adim55qujow.
flora

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 am

You know, the vanilla Indoril .1st mesh crashes the game too. The mesh is skinned onto the finger bones, which aren't on the 3rd person models. The game crashes because it doesn't give up looking for those bones and spams errors out of the noble seamstress until it runs out of space. Somewhat relatedly, your NifSkope mesh errors are because you deleted all the finger bones on the left hand, which the NiSkinInstances were referring to. I don't think the game would like that either. Noble seamstress!
Michelle Smith

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 7:32 am

Crap. Well, wait, then how am I able to equip Indoril Gauntlets in 1st person mode and not have the game crash?

Should I re-do my meshes using the Indoril_Skins.nif and just delete the branch with the cuirass? I might also be able to copy and paste the bug bracer onto a chitin gauntlet - that's what I did for my http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr50/Alaisiagae/Mod%20Screenshot%20MW/Misc/art_wraithkeening_katar.jpg (which works in-game, except for the blades because they aren't skinned. However, I don't get any errors from that) (wraithguard bits plopped onto retextured expensive glove).
Timara White

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 3:21 am

I meant if you copied the .1st file to the third person file. Just check that none of the NiSkinInstances refer to finger bones 1-4, and it should work. Good luck!
stacy hamilton

Post » Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I meant if you copied the .1st file to the third person file. Just check that none of the NiSkinInstances refer to finger bones 1-4, and it should work. Good luck!

Yeah, I used the indoril_hands.1st.nif for both my ashlander_hands.1st.nif and the third person model. How do I add skin instances in Nifskope? I tried doing it once, but it didn't point to anything. :confused:

EDIT: And my Nifskope gets a brain fart whenever there are too many nested nodes in a branch - things get cut off, it refuses to show names of nodes and textures. I could try viewing them in a list, but then I don't know the tree structure and what mesh goes to what parent node. :bonk:
Dan Endacott

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 9:27 am

In block tree view, you can drag the line between the column headers to make them larger, and you can drag them outside the frame to make it scrollable.
Harry Hearing

Post » Wed May 19, 2010 5:43 pm

:banghead: Too busy/stressed-out right now to do anything. *sigh*

Still, thanks for the explanation, Hrnchamd. :)
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 12:50 am

*bump*

Halp please? :sad:
Johnny

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 5:21 am

You can't reassign bones in NifSkope, there's all these indexes and blah. You have to use Indoril_Skins.
Romy Welsch

Post » Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 am

*bump*

Halp please? :sad:

I've taken a look at it and I think it is possible to fix quite easily in NifSkope and without redoing the UV maps by hand. I'll make a test abit later on and get back to you.

Sy

Edit: I've tested in game and it works for me and so here is what to do:

1. Open up both your A_Ashl_Hands.1st.nif and the stock A_Indoril_M_Skins.nif in NifSkope.

2. In A_Ashl_Hands.1st.nif click on one of the parts you changed the UV mapping on and expand its tree in the block list.

3. Right click on its NiTriShapeData and go to Block>Copy (Not CopyBranch).

4. Now find the corresponding part in A_Indoril_M_Skins.nif and expand its tree in the block list.

5. Right click on its NiTriShapeData and go Block>Paste Over, you should see the UV mapping change in the View Window.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 for all the parts where you changed the UV mapping and that eliminates the need for redoing it by hand.

7. Reapply the textures you used in A_Ashl_Hands.1st.nif to A_Indoril_M_Skins.nif and then save as A_Ashl_Hands.nif.

Optional

8. You can remove Tri Chest 0 to 4 from your newly created A_Ashl_Hands.nif Obviously this will reduce filesize.

If you have any problems let me know and I will try and help :) .

Sy
Pat RiMsey

Return to III - Morrowind