fire ants...

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 am

But how many other Harolds do you encounter?

One, Talius
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Talius
Amelia Pritchard

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:11 pm

One, Talius
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Talius

Huh, I completely forgot about him :laugh:

I'm not saying Fire Ants across the country is impossible, but rather that it's such a shot in the dark that it's so unlikely to see happen/
Brooke Turner

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Huh, I completely forgot about him :laugh:

I'm not saying Fire Ants across the country is impossible, but rather that it's such a shot in the dark that it's so unlikely to see happen/

But Ants can Fly. The queens have wings and males also fly. The queen mates and goes and finds another place to nest. The Move "Them" which "Those" is based off of has huge queens flying off to make new nests. So even if the Doc in DC created them its possible a queen made it to the Mojave. Or the other way around and the doc was wrong about him making the fire ants. Queens ants in FO3 and New Vegas have wings.
Veronica Flores

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am

But Ants can Fly. The queens have wings and males also fly. The queen mates and goes and finds another place to nest. The Move "Them" which "Those" is based off of has huge queens flying off to make new nests. So even if the Doc in DC created them its possible a queen made it to the Mojave. Or the other way around and the doc was wrong about him making the fire ants. Queens ants in FO3 and New Vegas have wings.

But it was never indicated that F3's ants had flight capability. If you fought one, the queen included, they just scurry, and the queens spit acidic goop at you. :unsure2:
Carolyne Bolt

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:08 pm

But it was never indicated that F3's ants had flight capability. If you fought one, the queen included, they just scurry, and the queens spit acidic goop at you. :unsure2:

True but to be fair they were in caves and buildings and by that point they become bigger for they stay there and lay eggs for the rest of their lives and they don't have room to fly around. We don't see them out in the open and they have wings. Ants can fly I am sure there are some species that don't but most do.
Brad Johnson

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 am

Well, that might be possible, but I can't see their wings supporting their Body Weight though.
Your Mum

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:57 am

SCIENCE!
Kelly Tomlinson

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:19 am

It was indicated they were ants therefore the reproductive ants can fly. The Queen before it begins laying eggs loses its wings and the males simply die after mating.
Well, that might be possible, but I can't see their wings supporting their Body Weight though.

And an Ant queen doesn't have that huge bulge at the back until its begun laying eggs.
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Okay, here's a theory. Maybe Lesko was in contact with someone in the NCR and told them about his research and subsequent little oops. That person said "Hmmm", and set out to recreate the accident, possibly for use as a weapon against the Legion. The experiment was a success, but unfortunately the results were the same- the ants ran wild, killed a lot of people(including the scientist) and finally escaped. Now they're established in the Mojave.
Channing

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:43 am

The non mutated Fire ants sub species were most likely native to the Mojave and other areas in the south, as they mutated their natural defenses mutated over time.
Or combined with FEV leaked from Maripossa or Enclave spills as they shiped out research to other safe houses.
Or even due to contamination with the Masters armies and super mutants, other mutations have been explained as coming from contact from those groups;
Leaked FEV taken a pure virus form rather than the contact toxin agent it was originally and in FO3, as said in FO2.

The DC ants however were not Fire ants to start but due to tampering became so, so two groups no link.

Saying the DC ant made it to Mojave in such maner is unlikely, as even taking flight colonies are much more likely to have high gestation periods due to their size and move slowly from area to area.
Rather than by huge leaps, but that is not 100% certain as species have made such leaps before using many metheods.

Night stalkers are bred themselves ( not sure if FEV is stated as the cause though, or another form of manipulation ), some rogue state has most likely attempted to make perfect guard / war animals to protect from creatures and enemies such as deathclaws and raiders.
To be honest I would not bet against a future plan to make another FO in which mad beast masters take one of the main faction spots, at least after seeing NV I hope so.
Je suis

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:01 am

Packs of Geckos from the NCR region, which is a few hundred miles, is alot more sense then ants scuttling all the way from D.C. to Las Vegas. :laugh:

Well as ants can fly, why to scuttle?
natalie mccormick

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Has anyone considered that Lesko may have been an Enclave refuge from Navarro and left a trail of 'science' across his path from West to East? We already know of one other Grayditch resident who had made the trip.
Karine laverre

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm

maybe the ants are more susceptible to that type of mutation vs other mutations? (humans becoming super mutants when correct exposure, except the occasional exception of things like harold, or ghouls, with correct radation/fev, humans change specifically to ghouls, unless over-exposed or the occasional exception (whats-her-name in the nuclear test site), its usually ghouls
Samantha Pattison

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:50 am

maybe the ants are more susceptible to that type of mutation vs other mutations? (humans becoming super mutants when correct exposure, except the occasional exception of things like harold, or ghouls, with correct radation/fev, humans change specifically to ghouls, unless over-exposed or the occasional exception (whats-her-name in the nuclear test site), its usually ghouls

A few problems with your theories,
Humans becoming ghouls due to radiation exposure is the exception not the rule, and its only radiation to make ghouls. Harold is something else entirely.
The vast majority of humans die, the only way to really insure ghoulification is to suffer the radiation of dozens of nuclear weapons detonating close by but escaping the destructive blasts. Which was the fate of Vault 12's residents.

The Fire Ants in DC were created specifically by injecting eggs with FEV. That's not a susceptible mutation its. Its forced evolution. Maybe some Ants dug into Mariposa and were exposed to it but that's no more likely then them migrating from DC.
James Shaw

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:32 pm

A few problems with your theories,
Humans becoming ghouls due to radiation exposure is the exception not the rule, and its only radiation to make ghouls. Harold is something else entirely.
The vast majority of humans die, the only way to really insure ghoulification is to suffer the radiation of dozens of nuclear weapons detonating close by but escaping the destructive blasts. Which was the fate of Vault 12's residents.

The Fire Ants in DC were created specifically by injecting eggs with FEV. That's not a susceptible mutation its. Its forced evolution. Maybe some Ants dug into Mariposa and were exposed to it but that's no more likely then them migrating from DC.

ahh, i get it now, and those examples i gave were terriblely bad examples lol :mellow:
thanks for clearing that up
Tanya

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Or maybe these Ant ate some fire gecko?

Lesko was trying to miniaturize the Gaint Ant already exist in the wasteland; only the fire breathing aspect was his work.
CYCO JO-NATE

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 am

Obsidian broke lore, of course. :P

The truth is... I think people anolyze their games far too much.
josie treuberg

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:06 am

There should be thousands and thousands of giant ants and by now they should be the dominant species of earth.

Ah, but they have one natural predator. Me.
OTTO

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 am

What about the fire ants at Nellis they said something about them eating some of their munitions gunpowder,they look and act just like regular fire ants but if you shot them with an energy weapon they blow up.
My blood

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 am

What about the fire ants at Nellis they said something about them eating some of their munitions gunpowder,they look and act just like regular fire ants but if you shot them with an energy weapon they blow up.

perhaps you just shot the munitions in their body? (shooting a frag inside one of their stomachs for example)
Rob Smith

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:39 am

Also correct me if im wrong but arnt the fonv fire ants a fair bit larger and nastier then the fo3 ones were? Not to mention faster moving.

Your wrong, I remember entering Grayditch at low levels those Fire Ants hurt like *&)*&$@ the ones in NV feel much weaker even though they to an be easily encountered at low level.

They don't breath fire just explode because there filled with gunpowder.

Maybe just like the move Them! Giant flying fire ants left the Core region and over 200 years made it to DC. The Doc just thought he was responsible.

Don't theorize if you didn't do the quest in Fallout 3.
He injected the eggs of a regular giants to try and make them smaller, instead fire ants emerged. The queen was a regular giant ant queen. Lesko was responsible and no one who played the quest could say otherwise.

I want to perfectly clear most mutations are not FEV mutations in anyway shape or form. So stop blaming them for anything thats not explicit about its origins.
Beast Attire

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Don't theorize if you didn't do the quest in Fallout 3.
He injected the eggs of a regular giants to try and make them smaller, instead fire ants emerged. The queen was a regular giant ant queen. Lesko was responsible and no one who played the quest could say otherwise.

I want to perfectly clear most mutations are not FEV mutations in anyway shape or form. So stop blaming them for anything thats not explicit about its origins.

I do do the quests. We are just taking his word for it. Second I know some mutations have nothing to do with FEV. Biggest Question is, where did he get FEV? How do we know its FEV? What makes some one a Doctor in the Wasteland?
Naomi Lastname

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas