Followers and Companions

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:46 am

So, the question is simple:
Should companions be in Skyrim?

Personally, I don't see why not, so long as the control is simple (like in New Vegas). I wouldn't mind to have travel buddies, and it wouldn't be as if they were mandatory.
Chad Holloway

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:51 am

For a real-time melee-centric game? Three words: Hope Rides Alone.
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Cass was a pretty darn cool companion in FONV, and Ruin Tail was even cooler in Oblivion. One humanoid is good, always fun to travel with a companion. Combat wise, they are pretty worthless and I dont care what they do as long as they dont die on me or blow my cover.

I'd like to see companions but I dont mind if we dont cause someone will mod them in :)
Laura

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:18 am

I would love to raise legions of the undead to lead into battle.
Tom

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 am

Yes Companions can add so much more to an RPG.
Nowadays I feel kind of lonely without them :tongue:
Kelly James

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:36 pm

I never use followers so I don't care.
meghan lock

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:27 pm

I would love to raise legions of the undead to lead into battle.

Summoning (via conjuration) is a bit different than companions.. I do agree we should be able to summon as many undead/creatures as we are powerful, as long as we have the manamagicka to support them, we should be able to do it.
Emily Shackleton

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:37 pm

:shrug:

For whatever reason, I've always found the best companions to be the ones created by the community (Julan, for Morrowind; Vilja in Oblivion...there are many others but those two are my absolute favorites)--not just in terms of AI and combat improvements over vanilla followers but in regards to quests and personality. When I do decide to go adventuring with a companion, I don't want a meat shield, I want someone my character could consider an actual partner-in-crime.

Bethesda can put followers in Skyrim like they did in Oblivion, but chances are good they won't have the time to devote to making those followers real characters like Julan or Constance. (Nothing wrong with that, either. They should be focusing on other things, like writing excellent quests. :P) So I'll wait for the inevitable revolutionary companion mod no matter what.
carly mcdonough

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:36 am

Yes Companions can add so much more to an RPG.
Nowadays I feel kind of lonely without them :tongue:

I know! I never used to use them before, now its kinda of lonely and quiet when they arnt around complaining to you or commenting on the weather. The only "essential" npcs should be companions cause lets face it, they arnt too smart.

@ Tyraa Rane if they include companions it'll make it that much easier for modders to do their thing ;)
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 am

From personal experience with companion mods in Oblivion and the companions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I'd definitely want to have companions available in Vanilla Skyrim. The difference between the three aforementioned systems, however, is the number of companions. I felt that the companion mod system for Oblivion was lacking in dynamic while having far too many command options, and even though you were led to believe that you could have as many companions as you want, it was really limited to five. Even then, why would you want five people running around and stealing the difficulty of battle?

Then again, with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I was never a fan of having the non-humanoid companions. I'd much rather have 2-3 of the human Fallout companions supporting me at once. Their level of dialogue and intrigue was great, and to have their various skills around me at one time was something that I always wanted.

So if Skyrim chooses to offer any sort of companion capabilities, I would hope for a maximum of 3 companions available to you at all times, with great character development, dialogue options and diverse combat skills.
Theodore Walling

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:51 am

As long as they stay the [censored] out of my way when I'm trying to kill [censored]. :brokencomputer:
jessica Villacis

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:45 am

As long as they stay the [censored] out of my way when I'm trying to kill [censored]. :brokencomputer:

That, of course, being the problem. Ian and Marcus, anybody?
Mark Hepworth

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 am

"M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk."

M'aiq got this one right.

Seriously speaking, companions can be a good thing, or an annoyance.

If Bethesda keeps them subtle, I will use them.
But if they are like the companions in Dragon Age Origins, with their pathetic little problems, arguing with each other every [censored] time you're on the move,
trying to be funny, i'd rather not.
Ricky Meehan

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:52 pm

That, of course, being the problem. Ian and Marcus, anybody?

If you're referring to Ian from Fallout 1...his problem wasn't that he was in your way. You just happened to be in the way of his bullets. :evil:
ZzZz

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:02 am

I think you should be able to have temporary quest companions. That's it.
Natalie J Webster

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:01 am

I'd like to have at least 2 humanoids and maybe one non humanoid. Or I can choose if I want one humanoid and one non humanoid or both humanoids or both non humanoids, etc. Conjurations would count as separate entities, even if you could summon them and keep them indefinitely at higher levels of conjuration. Fingers crossed for that. =D

I hated companions before Fallout New Vegas. But it was handled so well I can't imagine not having it now. I just hope they give us many varied companions to choose from, both good, neutral and evil.
Emilie Joseph

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah two humanoid followers would be cool. It would be cool if the game would throw extra enemies in dungeons if you have followers to balance it out.
gandalf

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:23 am

"M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk."

M'aiq got this one right.

Seriously speaking, companions can be a good thing, or an annoyance.

If Bethesda keeps them subtle, I will use them.
But if they are like the companions in Dragon Age Origins, with their pathetic little problems, arguing with each other every [censored] time you're on the move,
trying to be funny, i'd rather not.

M'aiq tends to be right. We should listen to him more.
Wane Peters

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:02 am

Yes, and one humanoid on non-humanoid, just like New Vegas. I'd love a fellow Nord to bash some skulls with along with my faithful Pahmar or Senche.
April D. F

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:46 am

Yeah two humanoid followers would be cool. It would be cool if the game would throw extra enemies in dungeons if you have followers to balance it out.

This isn't Borderlands. If you're going to ramp up the difficulty because you have a companion, then why not just ditch the companion, not have to deal with their crap, and have the game be just as easy?
rolanda h

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 am

I think you should have as many companions as you can buy, but your companions should have relationships with other companions that affect whether they'll join you or not. For example, a Nord Warrior companion might not join you if you're playing as an Dunmer, or if you have a Dunmer companion.
Lauren Denman

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:02 am

Number of companions should be dependent on Personality.

low - none
near low - 1
Avg - 2
near high - 3
highest - 4

Also agree with the above thread but if your personality is high enough they will join.
Bloomer

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:11 am

I know! I never used to use them before, now its kinda of lonely and quiet when they arnt around complaining to you or commenting on the weather. The only "essential" npcs should be companions cause lets face it, they arnt too smart.

@ Tyraa Rane if they include companions it'll make it that much easier for modders to do their thing ;)

Ha, yes. Companions should be essential. :evil:
Gavin Roberts

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:00 am

If I can have a giant dire wolf as a companion, I will be extremely pleased.
Rodney C

Post » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:57 pm

I don't really care. They can be implemented all right, but I tend not to use them if I can help it. Partially because of the type of characters I play (uncharismatic lone wolves :P), partially because I don't trust Bethesda to actually do a good job with them.

If companions are in, then concerning limits, I'm with Mumatil, the number you can have should depend on your stats, like Personality. Anything that makes any attribute of your character more worthwhile is worth doing as far as I'm concerned.
Rhiannon Jones

Next

Return to V - Skyrim