Freeze Fix for the GoTY version.

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:36 pm

I might actually try this. My vanilla PS3 copy has worked a treat for pretty much the entire game. The problems have only just started happening since I downloaded the DLC from the PSN store. I went for Broken Steel, The Pitt and Point Lookout. The first two were ok, but now I'm getting crashes quite often. I'm on a freeze screen now, my second one of the evening, less than 10 minutes play each time. :huh:

My game save file has been >10MB for a while now, with no problems. I reckon its just the DLC that messes things up, whether downloaded, or read from disc. :shrug:
JR Cash

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 am

I have to respond to this, because I tried Glampires fix........you can read my post on Gamefaqs.com, I'm SteelCity61. I had limited success with this method, but my game has returned to the freezing mess it once was. This method worked for me for maybe 2-3 hours......which to me proves nothing on the validity of this method. The game is still broken and needs to be addressed by Bethesda. It's not our job as the consumer to find ways to make a broken product work. I've been comparing this to buying a CD with a third of the songs missing or buying a movie with no ending.....in any of these situations it would be 100% unacceptable. I don't understand how Bethesda can allow these problems to continue without addressing them or facing any kind of penalties. All we want is a working product and the ability to enjoy the game......is that seriously too much to ask for?
Jennie Skeletons

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 am

Nobody is MAKING them do it...that's why.

The funny thing is that we will probably carry on buying their games...we just have to be more careful next time.
Bedford White

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:24 am

Nobody is MAKING them do it...that's why.

Lots of companies provide patches without anyone "making" them. Bethesda themselves have done it in the past. Their reputation seriously suffers from this, there are threads about these bugs all over game forums. As for myself my warm feelings for FO3 I used to have have been replaced with irritation and frustration. I know intellectually that it's a great game that I enjoyed for many hours before the bugs, but I don't feel it anymore.
Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:42 am

It means the game data file or files in the 'game data' utility section in your PS3s XMB menu. When you delete it, loading the game again will re-install this data.

All right. Maybe I will try that later, but right now I've lost interest in the game, too much frustration. And if I put in additional effort and it still doesn't work (these hacks don't work for everyone, or works only partly) I think I'll go crazy.
jadie kell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:44 am

Hate to say this but the serious issues with Fallout 3 can not be fixed a patch, its to do with the development of the game itself which makes it run so bad.

I don't see how you can know that about the nature of the bug from just playing the game. The bug could be something like a memory leak (leaking at different speeds depending on the circumstances in the game) that could be fixed by changing a single line of code. I'm not saying I think that, but I can't really tell from just playing the game.
John Moore

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:34 pm

All right. Maybe I will try that later, but right now I've lost interest in the game, too much frustration. And if I put in additional effort and it still doesn't work (these hacks don't work for everyone, or works only partly) I think I'll go crazy.

Don't get your hopes up. Although deleting the Game Data may seem to work at first, the game will eventually freeze. I've done what was originally posted a few times and eventually, it will freeze. Still, you do get to squeeze in more gaming time but as your savegame gets bigger and bigger, you will freeze quicker and quicker after every deletion of the Game Data.
My blood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:35 am

Don't get your hopes up. Although deleting the Game Data may seem to work at first, the game will eventually freeze. I've done what was originally posted a few times and eventually, it will freeze. Still, you do get to squeeze in more gaming time but as your savegame gets bigger and bigger, you will freeze quicker and quicker after every deletion of the Game Data.

I managed to finish all the DLCs, but I had to do some other tweaks also, such as (sometimes) ditching my companions. Still got a few freezes, and it stuttered a lot, plus the whole time I was aware that it could bug at any time, which removed a lot of the joy, I basically just wanted to get it done and move on to something else. Still, at least now I get some sense of completion, but no way I'm getting New Vegas until they patch it up good. No freezing.
Hussnein Amin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:51 am

I managed to finish all the DLCs, but I had to do some other tweaks also, such as (sometimes) ditching my companions. Still got a few freezes, and it stuttered a lot, plus the whole time I was aware that it could bug at any time, which removed a lot of the joy, I basically just wanted to get it done and move on to something else. Still, at least now I get some sense of completion, but no way I'm getting New Vegas until they patch it up good. No freezing.

I fear this will be deja vu on that count. If they can't fix the GOTY version of Fallout 3 I doubt they'd bother with this regardless of how much it sells.
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:07 am

I fear this will be deja vu on that count. If they can't fix the GOTY version of Fallout 3 I doubt they'd bother with this regardless of how much it sells.

In that case I might cave when it hits the bargain bins... with open eyes, expecting deal-breaking bugs. Still, I will probably feel at some point I have to try the game, but for as long as I live I will never mention the game without complaining about the bugs. :) Unless they do fix it, we shall see. I still have hope.
Aman Bhattal

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:25 pm

hi all, i have had the same problem. My game data is only 14mb. I'm currently on no mission and am at the Roosevelt Academy, and even walking it freezes for a second and then is ok. After about 10 mins it will fully freeze or crash. Deleting the game data, will this delete all my saves except my last save before turning off or deleting?

cheers
Brittany Abner

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:29 am

Fellow freeze friends,

Having played Morrowind on Xbox, Oblivion and Fallout 3 on Xbox 360, followed by Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3, and now New Vegas on PS3, I can honestly say that lockups are universal in Bethesda games. It honestly seems correlated with the amount you've done in the game (ie keeping track of every corpse, loot, scenery change, and everything else you can do becomes taxing on the game); add to that the occasional spike in demand on the GPU and it'll just stop.

But a tiny helpful hint: If you get hung up in VATS, sometimes if you hold the PS3 button for long enough to ordinarily bring up the console/control shut-off screen, let go and wait (sometimes 3+ minutes), just sometimes, the game'll snap out of it long enough for you to finish a fight and save. If you've been humping across the wasteland for 45 minutes, found a ton of loot and killed a bunch of stuff, maybe even leveled, it can be a real ease on your sanity. If you get your lucky save, just shut off the game; it will lock up for good within the next few minutes anyhow. I've only seen this work maybe 50% of the time on GOTY, but man what a relief.

BETHESDA! You're like an abusive spouse, you beat us, but we love you anyway and keep coming back. Honestly, if it weren't for lockups I'd probably have to drop out of med school for New Vegas. They're the only reason I can stop sometimes. :sadvaultboy:
kennedy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

Thank you Glampire. I did exactly as you recommended, and made it through every single DLC without a single bug. Still had a couple freezes, but that's quite usual, and it wasn't really a problem.
cassy

Previous

Return to Fallout 3