Freezes

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 am

Hello guys, ran into a problem yesterday with Oblivion. Every time I try to load or start a new game oblivion just freezes directly.

Things I've tried;
Reinstallation with no mods, patches, didnt work. Tried different patches and shivering isle aswell and latest patches, didnt work either.
Installed latest drivers.
Close every program but oblivion.
Run as adminstrator, run in compatibility mode.
Defragmentation.

Hope anyone can help me, cheers.
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 am

Has it ever worked correctly? If so, what did you change since it last did so? Do you allow Microsoft to add whatever updates it wants to, whenever it feels like doing so? If so, shut that off.

Whatever the situation, a system summary of the hardware and the software environment is needed.
celebrity

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes it worked flawlessly until yesterday and I didn't update anything, got windows update turned off.

My system is the following: i7 920, 6gb of ram and a HD5870. Running vista64.
Laura Mclean

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:06 pm

An update on this matter. I booted the pc several times excluding different services and found out its Windows Audio causing Oblivion to freeze.

So I updated my soundcard drivers and I disabled all audiports that I'm not using, still nothing.

If I go to the Oblivion.ini file and change the values "bMusicEnabled" and "bSoundEnabled" from 1 to 0 Oblivion runs perfectly.

Any ideas?
Star Dunkels Macmillan

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:38 am

The bMusicEnabled=0 trick is commonly suggested here to members using onboard audio because this game's music files can get quite iffy with onboard audio. Are you using some onboard Realtek or Soundmax audio?

If so, you can probably set bSoundEnabled back to 1 with no problems, but music will have to be left off. A dedicated soundcard with hardware acceleration is what you'd need if you miss having music. I personally find having music off more realistic....others find having it on more immersive. :shrug:
sam smith

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:04 pm

The bMusicEnabled=0 trick is commonly suggested here to members using onboard audio because this game's music files can get quite iffy with onboard audio. Are you using some onboard Realtek or Soundmax audio?

If so, you can probably set bSoundEnabled back to 1 with no problems, but music will have to be left off. A dedicated soundcard with hardware acceleration is what you'd need if you miss having music. I personally find having music off more realistic....others find having it on more immersive. :shrug:

Yes, I'm using onboard Realtek audio. Seems to work fine with sounds and no music cheers for that one. Guess I'll have to get used to not hearing music all the time, maybe play some LOTR movie soundtrack on winamp.

Guess this one is solved, thanks again Tig Ol Bitties.
Robert

Return to IV - Oblivion