future: single layer or larger world?

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi everyone

I′m far from being an expert on programming, but it seems to me like a somewhat defined dichotomy between a game-world without loading screens and a big(ger) game-world, balancing the amount of processing power the game requires for each.

Anyone with more practical knowledge is please welcome to correct me in case this is not necessarily a trade-off.

Assuming that it is, however, what would you prefer to put your money on? A game about the same size of Skyrim, but with a single layer and no loading screens midgame, or a reasonably larger game similar to Skyrim?

Siobhan Wallis-McRobert

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 pm

I don't think we need to accept one at the expense of the other. The processing power and RAM capacity of consoles is much larger than it was when Bethesda designed Oblivion and Skyrim. I think consoles these days can probably handle a detailed, highly-interactive game world that is larger than Skyrim and which also has no loading screens.

But that said, loading screens do not bother me much. I could accept loading screens in order to get a larger game world, if I was forced into an either/or choice.

ImmaTakeYour

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Hmm, yes, I might have not put it accurately enough.

I think the question is more like - when Bethesda push the next limits of hardware, would you preffer that they do so by increasing the size of the world as much as possible maintaining Skyrim′s model, or would you preffer that they do so by making it a single layer first, and then making the world as large as possible (which would probably mean a smaller world than in the first scenario).

thanks

Claire Lynham

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion