Future titles for consoles and remasters.

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 8:18 pm

deleted as this topic oddly is offensive to some.

Brooks Hardison

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm

This has been talked about a lot. The problem is that Bethesda doesn't have the manpower to both make new games and remaster old ones. They're actually really small for a triple-A studio.

Danel

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:42 am

Thers no reason this game couldn't be delegated to another team similar to the way dishonored was remastered for ps4.I respect your opinion,but the fanbase would support the game in my opinion.

Laura Ellaby

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Nah, there's no reason to keep putting out the same game. What's the point? They should focus on moving forward, making new games and new adventures, not rehashing old ones. If you want to play one of the older games why not just play it on the older console?

TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:11 am

This.

I'd rather see manpower devoted to producing NEW games than to make the OLD games shinier.

Flesh Tunnel

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 11:14 am

yeah, if you want to play oblivion or Skyrim you can always plug in your previous gen console.. they don't all permanently power off because a new one comes out.. and would a slightly higher resolution improve the experience that much to the point it would be worth shelling out $60 again? i believe its the gameplay that makes a game, not how many p it runs at..

Justin Bywater

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't think that remastering game is a good idea. Simply, because many people who want remaster, bought it on PC for modding support.

Remasters would just be a clone of vanilla games, just with 60 FPS and higher resolution, not really attractive.

You can play on old console as stated above, or a better choice, you can mod it on PC.

KIng James

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 8:47 am

I'm completely unable to comprehend the obsession some people have towards remakes/remasters. What's the point?

A complete remake is sensible if the original game is very old, has virtually zero availability for purchase and/or has no suitable platform available to run on.

Remastering a game, particulary only a couple years old one, is pointless waste of resources. Oblivion and Skyrim do not need remastering, they're good as they are. Morrowind is on the borderline but even it doesn't really need remastering.

JUan Martinez

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Just because you see no purpose doesn't mean there isn't any.Alot of people in the current gen that haven't expereiced skyrim and oblivion wouldn't be able to do so.So for them your option would involve buying a older gen console or a cpu.Remember there alot of younger gamers just ariving that dont have older consoles.I do agree we should move forward,but there is a demand and another team within bethesda could accomplish this.Dishonored remastered being a great example.

Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Yes they dont permantly power off,but people upgrade when their console breaks or are just expereicing console gaming for the first time.Your option would force those people to go out and buy either another console or a pc to expereice these wonderful games.

ILy- Forver

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 am

Tell that to the over 10million people who bought gta v for ps4 and xbox1.Could they play it last gen sure.Could they play it on pc sure,but if you own a current gen console and want ease of use and a pick up and play set up. remasters are a attractive option for those.

xxLindsAffec

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Getting a PC in the first place would be an optimal solution. With the exception of a number of console exclusive games, PC offers the same experience as consoles AND a lot more.

XPidgex Jefferson

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:02 pm

like it or not theres a huge demand for remasters.Not everyone keeps their old consoles.Theres plenty of people just arriving into gaming that deserve to play skyrim or oblivion on their current gen system.Many circumstances are involved maybe its a game you haven't played in years for example you just went out and bought a brand new pc and thought gee I would love to play that game again. Too bad it only runs on the pc from 4 years ago buy one of those lol.I understand people feel it would hold back future titles and thats a totally legit reason,but again if theres a demand then theres a reason for it.The same people that say you should just play it on a older console or another platform are the same people that generally uprgrade there phones,pcs,and consoles at launch,but then see no value in upgraded version of the same game for a current gen platform lol.Your points are very valid,but so are mine.

Scarlet Devil

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 2:19 pm

I agree pc is a optimal platform,but many have the option of only one.Those that have only one option ie current gen console deserve the right to be able to purchase thses games aswell.

kat no x

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:33 pm

That's the thing, PC has one big strength: backwards compatibility. 20 year old games still run on modern machines.

Speaking of backwards compatibility, X1 has this too. All the time more and more 360 titles become compatible on X1. Yet another reason not to waste resources on remastering.

Valerie Marie

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 3:47 pm

but thats an conscious decision one makes though, by selling a piece of gaming hardware one has to acknowledge they won't be able to play the games that rely on it..

if one really likes the games on an older console, they have to be aware that it requires them to keep it to play.. I have kept my NES ever since it was given to me, and I actually just plugged it in earlier to replay some Dragon Quest 4, because i realize i can't play them without it..

thats the problem with people trading in their consoles to get a small discount on the newer one, you don't buy a console at launch hoping that someday games you like will come out for it, you wait till several of those games are already out, and in that time you will save up more than the small discount your old one would have provided you..

and yes, consoles break sometimes, but many Computer Repair shops are able to fix them, heck even looking on neighborhood bulletin boards you'll see people advertising they can fix them.. I used to buy XBox360s with the RRoD cheap, fix it quick with a soldering iron at home, and flip them for a decent profit.. and I have lost count of how many times I had to fix my PS2's disc reader..

why draw the line there? there were plenty of equally great games as far back as the NES that younger gamers never got to play, instead of making new ones we could simply divert resources to rerelease every great game from the past 30 years!

yes, some younger gamers never got to experience the last few TES games, but even more never got to experience the wonder that was Contra or Super Metroid.. this is a result of the passage of time, alot of people never got to see the Beatles in concert, but we are not trying to bring John Lennon back from the dead to forcefully reform the group so they can.. maybe some younger gamers never got to play Skyrim or Oblivion, but you know what? they will likely get to play some even greater games I never will because i will be dead while they still live, thats how time works..

a game from only 5 years ago is still quite easy to get ahold of actually if they really really want it (fyi, most pawnshops sell XBox360s for less than a remastered Skyrim would cost, i've seen them go as low as $40, and seen them sold for even less on sites like kijiji), and because last gen consoles were able to purchase those games digitally you wouldn't need to find the discs.. if the younger gamers want to play them that badly, the required items are easily available if they save up their allowance for a month or two

the only games that really need the effort it takes to do a remaster are ones from a minimum of 2 gens ago, where the hardware has become somewhat difficult to get ahold of and before digital purchases made the games easy to get ahold of, (as at those times many surprising successes were only produced in very limited numbers because they didn't expect it to sell that well, as a result demand was not met and the copies that are currently in circulation can cost more than it would for me to build a pc able to play skyrim, these games could benefit from remasters simply so they could be found digitally.. if i told you some of the prices Skies of Arcadia has gone for in the past few years you'd faint)..

I may be getting up there in years, but I do remember what it was like to be a kid at the mercy of their parents purse strings, and it did svck.. but thats one of the better things about all PC games having made the transition to distribution being all digital, when they get old enough to get a job and buy a PC, those games will be sitting on Steam or GoG ready for them to play, and depending on when that is even relatively cheap PCs would be easily able to handle Oblivion or Skyrim (neither of which require a powerful machine in any regard)

Note: I am not trying to be mean or hostile, this is simply how it is

Greg Cavaliere

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Part of the problem is the slippery slope. They really can't just port Skyrim, ignoring for now that porting isn't as simple as re-compiling as a PS4/XB1 program; reviewers will savage Bethesda (and the game won't sell well) if it's just the same old game with the settings up higher. To get attention, they would need to patch the game, for one, which would piss off everyone if those patches weren't applied to the original game (not to mention that patching the original game would make the patches on the new game less valuable), then they also need some sort of new incentive, like upgraded models and textures, similar to the Anniversary re-releases of Halo 1 and Fable 1. Then they would probably have to make the graphics upgrade available to PC users to not alienate them. And, of course, if they give this treatment to just one game, them people will demand it for Oblivion and Morrowind. Just updating Skyrim would likely delay their current project by at least a year, not to mention all the time that the other two games would take. This is the business model that killed 3D Realms, who kept splitting people off their DNF team to work on less profitable side projects, delaying the game for years so that they needed to scrap the project and start over every couple years just to keep up with technology.

Lastly, the minimum system requirements are really low for Oblivion and Skyrim because the games came out a very long time ago in computer terms for hardware developed in the early 2000s. Assuming you're not using a phone or tablet and you have Windows, you can probably run them on whatever you're using to post here.

Oblivion Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP 64-bit, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

512 MB System RAM

4.6 GB free hard disk space

128 MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;

8x DVD-ROM drive

DirectX 9.0c (included)

DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card

Keyboard, Mouse

Skyrim Minimum System Requirements:

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)

Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor

2GB System RAM

6GB free HDD Space

Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

DirectX compatible sound card

Internet access for Steam activation

Louise Andrew

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 12:23 pm

while I see your point bethesda has show it has interest in remasters as of late with dishonored on ps4 as a example.most of the remasters as a whole are from last gen,so the arguement that we shouldn't be doing remasters of games made last gen is a subjective opinion largely held by PC gamers.With console upgrades we can and should expect to to see upgraded versions of games like skyrim.Games such as skyrim could benefit from the power of current consoles.many people myself included hold the opinion that last gen consoles had a hard time running skyrim and even oblivion.These games could benefit with a smoother 60fps gameplay.I know there's a huge difference in gameplay as playing on pc has been noted to be superior mainly due to mods and higher smoother fps.The point here is that there's a demand.Theres a ability to get this to current gen consoles.Bethesda and fans would both benefit from this,so at the end of the day why not?Bethesda makes a load of cash and people get to experience this work of art.As a huge fan I have a hard time understanding why others wouldn't want to see these games come to current gen.
Eduardo Rosas

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 11:09 am

I think the solution to sales for skyrim and oblivion on next gen is simple and already underway in fallout 4.Its mod support.As someone who purchased these on last gen consoles and PC I would gladly buy a bundled skyrim oblivion remaster if it was available for ps4.Im quite sure many millions would aswell in my opinion of course.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 7:08 pm

not true.. do i play games on my PC? yes, but I have been playing games on my consoles far more in the past few years.. just reran through Metal Gear Solid 4, which is an amazing game

no we shouldn't.. a new console has never been about improving and rereleasing old games, its been about making new ones.. we didn't see an upgraded A Link to the Past on the N64, we saw Ocarina of Time..

why should this suddenly change now?

as could just about any game ever produced.. heck, even Turtles in Time could have benefited from some better hardware, and its considered one of the best beat-em-ups ever released on a home console..

why should Skyrim or Oblivion be given different treatment than every other amazing game we have seen since the crash of 83?

Dean Brown

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:51 am

Not necessarily. Making "a load of cash" is not the same thing as turning a profit. A remake might earn Bethesda a million dollars, but if a remake costs Bethesda a million dollars and fifty cents to produce, they lose money by remaking the game.

abi

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm.. personally against Remasters, period. I don't care for them in music, I don't care for them in movies, ans I don't care for them in video games. It boggles my mind how they've become so popular in a market where people rage against micro transactions, pre orders and DLC... When it's basically 'Hey, we put a new coat of paint on this thing you already have, want to pay us again for a slightly prettier duplicate?'. At least Remakes show an attempt to do more than just polish a turd.

Just because there's a demand for it, doesn't make it a good idea, or a valuable use of anyones time. There are plenty of things that there's a market for that are horrible ideas. Even illegal ideas.

Remasters are, from where I stand, simply distracting people with shells while you pick their pockets.
Rob

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Bethesda only published that, they didn't develop it. This means that the only money they put into it was to press the disks and get it certified on the Xbox and Playstation stores.

Wane Peters

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:15 am

human nature really.. its completely normal for humans to fear what is different, and seek comfort in what is familiar.. its also the reason games like Super Mario or Call of Duty are so successful despite them not changing their formula in over a decade.. I mean, on these forums for example, i have constantly seen people post "TES6 should be exactly like Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind", people liked it thus they are comfortable with it, thus they seek something similar..

However, this is why it is important for developers to keep pushing out new types of experiences and changing their formula rather than sticking to the old, because if we were never willing to try new things we would never have found some of our favorite games.. I can think of several companies that were once some of the biggest names in western gaming who fell apart entirely because they stuck to their formula to long..

carley moss

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:48 am

I don't need a remaster or enchanced graphics. Just backwards compatibility like FO3 is on my XBox.
Laura Simmonds

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion