Gahruhn al Ashmer

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:35 am

A story of rivalries, politics, treason, and assassination, based on the backstory of my Oblivion character and her tribe of Ashlanders, and their actions in the game.

Chapter One

The aureate sunlight flooded the room and crisp winter gales whipped through the windows, scattering loose papers and making the flames flicker, their shadows dancing across the tapestries that were briefly lifted from the wall. The golden, glittered torchlight shone upon the figures that were carved into the walls, illuminating their granite faces that, although the artist that had created them had used no colours or decoration besides the natural way the light fell upon the drawing, and had relied only upon his skill, were rich in detail and varied in texture.

They were depictions of the merchant-kings and warrior-emperors, in an order from the most recent to those whose names were hidden in the mists of antiquity and whose real faces had been left out of the legendary descriptions of their deeds. Some were mythical, some were real, and there were those who may have been both. But all of them were displayed with pride in a long line which stretched from one door to the other - a distance of about a hundred feet. There were over a hundred of them, and above them were their names, which ran along the ceiling.

Ashina stood against the wall beside them, pleased that she had been allowed to change from her armour into something more practical - the blue silks that the gulakhan had given her so long ago, back in the Ashlands, with the gold trim, and designs of interwoven floral patterns with their borders of slogans in Daedric text, which were all of the important proverbs that Ashina would need to remember when she confronted the Imperial court in Ebonheart.

The logic of the words, said the wisewoman, was such that not even the Imperial monopolists would disagree with it.
Ashina wished that she could trust the words herself: the presence of Imperial proverbs that made mention only of profit and the acquisition of wealth made her feel as if she was dirty. She had an overwhelming urge to rush outside, back into the courtyard, and wash herself and her clothes in the fountain.

"We'll speak with Nevosi when our business here is concluded, and get back to Hla Oad before night," Ashina said, the appearance of a guard walking past in full Imperial armour making her say aloud her intentions to leave the city if she did not get an explanation from the man that was said to have sent for her. The Ashland sorceress's companions, one of whom was a gulakhan in her tribe and did not like the way the woman who would be the ashkhan had been summoned to the Imperial capital of Vvardenfell, were having similar thoughts, although they did not express them so that the elite guards could hear.

"As we have not been told the circumstances of our presence here, Ashina, we should leave at once rather than wait," the gulakhan said, when he was sure the Imperial guard was not close enough to hear him. "They have nothing to say that is worth our time! Nothing!"

"I agree with you," Ashina replied. "But we should at least find out who wants to talk. Imperials negotiating with the barbarians in an uncivilised land? Please, for the novelty value...I must find out their name." The gulakhan nodded, and, despite the emotion with which he had made his suggestion, he did not go against Ashina's opinion. He didn't think she was correct, either. That much was obvious. However, usually when Ashina made a sarcastic comment she was hiding her real reason, and he guessed that now was one of those occasions. He was not familiar with the lady personally, but he was familiar with her ways. She displayed similar traits to her father.

"Should I get something from the Six Fishes for you to eat, Ashina?" he asked.

Ashina didn't reply. Her head had turned towards the end of the corridor, where she could hear footsteps. A door was opened, and an Imperial man entered. He was wearing Imperial Legion armour, although he wore not helmet, and held no weapon.
It didn't look like his armour had seen much practical use. It was polished and reflected the torchlight, and the symbols that were painted onto it looked new, even though the design was an old one that was now only worn by officers, and not issued to the soldiers to cut the costs of keeping the garrisons in hostile territory equipped.

His face was young, as if he were the only Imperial on Vvardenfell not addicted to skooma, but from his eyes Ashina could tell that he was a professional soldier, and clearly was a confident man to approach Ashina without a weapon. Of course, that may have been because he had taken the time to learn about Ashland ways, but that was doubtful, and, if Ashina was honest, not expected of an Imperial Legion soldier.
"Greetings, I am Varus Vantinius. I am the commander of the Imperial forces in Vvardenfell." He formally introduced himself, although Ashina, who had stood to shake his hand, knew exactly who he was.

"Ashina Zelaku, daughter of the Zelaku ashkhan. Why do you wish to speak with me, sir?" she asked, not liking addressing the Imperial commander as a superior.

"It is about a matter that has been brought to my attention by soldiers posted at Ald'ruhn," he said. "I recommend that you, in your capacity as a regional leader, follow me to somewhere we can discuss this in private."

"If that is only a recommendation, then I would ask you to explain the situation in more detail," the gulakhan said with some feeling, pleased with himself when the Imperial stopped smiling and looked back at him, with anger that he was barely able to conceal.
"I shall only discuss it with Ashina, and that is only because of her father's absence. Do you have any reason to demand that I explain myself when you seem so sure that my recommendation wasn't a command?"

"I don't know, because you won't give me your own reasons," the gulakhan said, glad that Ashina hadn't done as he'd suggested and left without speaking to this arrogant s'wit.

"My reasons are not your concern. I will speak of them only to Ashina, as only she is in a position to do anything about this situation, unless you want Legion intervention. I have been informed of problems encountered by some of my most respected officers, and have received complaints from the wealthiest merchants about the destruction of their exports, which we believe Ashland tribes are largely responsible for. If you do not want the Imperial Legion moving your camps and herds on by force, then I suggest you follow your leader's example and co-operate!" That grand speech, which he took as a threat, the gulakhan pulled a blade that at once shimmered with the brilliant glow of ice, and shone with the power of its enchantments. The Imperial stepped back, his hands fumbling around without success for the silver hilt of his longsword. He raised his arm to shield himself, as his bodyguards gathered around, but the hail of blows that he had expected from the Ashlander did not come. Instead, the gulakhan sheathed his weapon.

"No!" he hissed. "No, I did not think you would realise! I would not kill an unarmed man, unlike you, it is beneath me as an Ashlander and as a warrior!"
"Come, Ashina," Varus said, turning to her as his guards surrounded and disarmed both of her companions.
Ron

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:22 am

sounds good, i love your writing style^^. the intro is really all i got to read, i'll come back to read the rest later and elaborate on my critique^^. nice story, i'd love to see it continue, dont give up, even if you think no ones reading, cause it's worth the journey^^
Jack Moves

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Wow, at last, a post :D

I won't give up. I'll get back to writing this ;)
Rik Douglas

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion