Game freezing on exit

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 5:46 am

After having been away from the community for a bit, I have recently come back to Morrowind (again) and went and downloaded a large list of mods yesterday. I was delighted to see that the game ran fine with all of them enabled, no crashes, weird glitches, or anything unexpected within the first ten minutes of play. However, when I went to the menu and hit 'Exit', morrowind.exe stopped responding and I had to force-quit. The same thing happens when I try to start a new game (haven't attempted to load yet). I have run the code patch and am using both MGE and MWE. I am on a computer less than a year old which has fairly high-end hardware, so I'm not concerned about that. Are there any known issues/fixes with this setup I should know about? I can post a mod list from the .ini file if necessary, but as it's not happening during the game (only upon exit), I anticipate it has more to do with the external programs than any in-game modifications.

EDIT: Update: the game also crashes now when I load a savegame, right when the game would actually start running (I can hear the beginning of "Don't stand about" from a nearby Nord). Maybe it is a mod issue. I'll put the list in the next post.

EDIT2: That's odd. Did the MCP change something about the way the .ini file works? I can no longer find my list of mods there; under 'Game Files', it only lists Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon. However, the MGE gui program still allows me to load the entire list from morrowind.ini for creating distant land statics...

As a side question so I can avoid making another topic, from what I've read, the exe optimizer can be run along with the code patch (if done afterward) and MGE, but not MWE. Is this correct? Is the optimizer still recommended around here? With MGE, does it or the FPS Optimizer have a noticeable impact?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Taylor Thompson

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 6:44 pm

MWE makes everything crash for me. Not very reliable at all IMO.
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Mod list, written by hand as I can no longer find it in the .ini file. This is the order as seen in the Morrowind Launcher.

Morrowind.esm
Tribunal.esm
Bloodmoon.esm
Better Heads Tribunal addon.esm
Better Heads Bloodmoon addon.esm
Better Heads.esm
Pegas Horse Ranch v3.1.esm
MCA.esm
Rise of House Telvanni.esm
Morrowind Patch v1.6.5-BETA.esm
Better Bodies.esp
Uvirith Inside.esp
Balmora Expansion v1.4.esp
Ultimate Galleon v2.2.esp
MWE_Base.esp
Pegas Horse Ranch v3.1.esp
Better Clothes_v1.1.esp
Universal Companion Share.esp
Oblivion-Style Spellcasting.esp
Enhanced_Stealth.esp
Encumberance Enhanced.esp
Mirkrali's Ring.esp
The Neverhalls.esp
Fliggerty's Armor Project 2.esp
Enhanced Summoning.esp
Fliggerty's Fleeing Fetchers.esp
Merchant Investments.esp
Better Telekinesis.esp
Fliggerty's Almanac.esp
Magicka Metamorphica.esp
Keyring.esp
Enhanced Detection.esp
Inventory Search.esp
Improved Bartering.esp
mel_teleportPlugin_1_3.esp
Protective Guards.esp
Fliggerty's Artifacts.esp
sm_ForgottenHalls.esp
Pursuit Enhanced.esp
Distant Land Fix for MGE.esp
ToggleSneak.esp
Short Ranged Teleport.esp
Ownership Indicator.esp
MWE_Journal.esp
dej_plain_paper_fix.esp
Text Patch for Morrowind with Tribunal & Bloodmoon.esp
DB_Attack_Mod.esp
SilentCharGen.esp
Clean Better Caldera.esp
Syc_AtHomeAlchemy.esp
shrinetext.esp
MTT Vol III.esp
Scripted_Spells.esp
LeveledMagicka.esp
Vivec Expansion 2.0.esp
RealSignposts.esp
Less_Generic_Tribunal.esp
Less_Generic_Bloodmoon.esp
Less_Generic_Nerevarine.esp
Lgnpc_SN.esp
LGNPC_AldVelothi_v1_20.esp
LGNPC_Khuul_v2_10.esp
LGNPC_MaarGan_v1_20.esp
LGNPC_GnaarMok_v1_10.esp
LGNPC_HlaOad_v1_32.esp
LGNPC_TelMora_v1_20.esp
LGNPC_Pelegiad_v1_22.esp
LGNPC_Aldruhn_v1_20.esp
LGNPC_VivecFQ_v2_10.esp
LGNPC_IndarysManor_v1_51.esp
LGNPC_VivecRedoran_v1_50.esp
LGNPC_NoLore_v0_83.esp
LGNPC_PaxRedoran_v1_20.esp
LGNPC_SecretMasters_v1_30.esp
UltimateGalleon ( Pegas ESP Addon ).esp
TOYA toys

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 9:56 am

MWE is known for causing Save game corruption.

Are you on Vista or WIndows7? It is preventing your ini file from being updated, because you don't have permission to alter it.
Best thing to do is http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/781497-vistawindows-7-problems/page__p__11352753#entry11352753

MGE and the FPS Optimizer work together, and I assume it works with MWE as well. Make sure you use version 1.96 of the FPS Opt.

I highly suggest you use http://code.google.com/p/mlox/wiki/Mlox on your Load Order. Because it looks like it needs a sorting.
Jade Payton

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 8:28 pm

EDIT: I thought that resorting/removing MWE would get rid of the savegame corruption, but no dice. Fresh game, walked around Seyda Neen for about five minutes, quit, reloaded, crash as it loads the area (I see one frame and hear Fargoth open his mouth, that's it).
Melanie

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 8:48 pm

I see one thing you dont have that I recomend you get, and thats the GOTY Script Tidy by Huskobar which corrects many errors in the original scripts. Basically it helps stop crashing but whether or not it will help with this I dont know, but its a good thing to have anyway.
Doniesha World

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 6:16 am

Do oyu happen to have a large surplus of Save files?
Having over 200 (or thereabouts) can cause problems like this.
suniti

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Nope, in fact I have exactly one save file at the moment (as I said, been away from the game for a while, completely fresh setup).
Lisa Robb

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 5:29 am

Morrowind crashes 90% of the time when I exit. Even starting a new game and then exiting will frequently crash.

I don't use MWE, only MGE and its built-in MWSE.

Isn't this pretty typical?
Dan Endacott

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Morrowind crashes 90% of the time when I exit. Even starting a new game and then exiting will frequently crash.

I don't use MWE, only MGE and its built-in MWSE.

Isn't this pretty typical?

Yes, Morrowind often crashes on exiting.
But if you read the entire OP, you'll see Pyro has other problems with Save files.
Jacob Phillips

Post » Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Yes, Morrowind often crashes on exiting.
But if you read the entire OP, you'll see Pyro has other problems with Save files.

And CTDs during play...

I disabled Ownership and Health Indicators, and that seems to have helped a bit (can't guarantee, only about three trials).
Marine Arrègle

Return to III - Morrowind