Game was Improperly Installed

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:15 am

I have tried searching for a solution to this problem on my own several times. It is not covered in any of the generic guides I've found. I have tried asking this question on several forums, and the only answer I ever get is someone posting a link with instructions on how to install the game. I'm just pointing this out before someone sends me a link to yet another guide.

I bought Fallout 3 GOTY from Steam. When I installed it, I was not aware of the special steps that were necessary to remove Games for Windows Live. I tried launching the game for the first time with a mod already installed. (something the special instructions said explicitly NOT to do) The game crashed upon start-up.

I un-installed the game and Games for Windows Live and I have tried re-installing a few times now but, the application always crashes when I click "Play". I have followed the instructions on all subsequent attempts.

I am assuming the problem is that there is still something left from the bad install that doesn't get removed when I use the un-install utility in Windows. Can someone tell me how to remove all traces of the game from my machine so I can start fresh? Or is there another way I can fix this?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Jesus Duran

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:27 am

Open the install location (I don't use Steam so cannot direct you to the install path), and look for anything related to Fallout 3.

Navigate to your Documents/My Games/ and look for anything related to Fallout 3 and delete it. Shut down your computer and restart.

Also do a search your computer for Fallout 3 using the Windows search.

Emmanuel Morales

Return to Fallout 3