Gedna Relvel - toughest fight in 8 years of Morrowinding

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Holy carp. So... I just spent ~30 mins killing Gedna Relvel. I guess my problem was being such a high level when I opened the tomb, and therefore, set her level.... I had to lay down my trusty everyday imperial weapon, and pick up the ne'er-before used Chrysamere to get it done. After ~ 30 minutes of continual full-draw blows, she fell dead... but Chrysmere was at a fragile 1378 / 6000 health, and down to 381 / 1140 enchantment remaining. I chugged multiple ~5min restore 100 health/sec potions. I am at 100 difficulty... but holy carp. That could have easily been the toughest duke-em-out of the game in my 8 years of playing Morrowind.

After her health was showing showing no yellow (down to near-zero), it still took 45 more hits. 45. What the heck? I know she had like 5,900 life due to being leveled... but what the heck? Dang. Guess I really earned that notch in my Dragonscale shield....

I also got a kick out of her fisticuffs... every 2 or 3 minutes, she's throw a couple punches, then go right back to spellcasting. I almost laughed out loud a couple times. I think the reflect from Chrysamere might have helped a bit in that fight....
Mandi Norton

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:08 pm

So ... who is this fearsome creature? Thankfully this is the spoilers section so it is quite safe to ask such a question. Where do not go to avoid "it" for a while? :yes:
Wayland Neace

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 pm

So ... who is this fearsome creature? Thankfully this is the spoilers section so it is quite safe to ask such a question. Where do not go to avoid "it" for a while? :yes:

Depending on your difficulty slider, skillset, weapon selection, and stock of potions, I'd recommend staying on the main island till around lvl 20-30. Once you start questing in Mournhold (Tribunal expansion), you'll eventually stumble onto this quest. To read up a bit (which I heartily recommend, to avoid loading your previous save after a quick death...) - http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Gedna_Relvel She's one of the few leveled badies in the whole game. Fighting a few werewolves at once can bring you closer to death faster, but this was the single most gruelingly long battle I can recall. I restored tens of thousands of health points just to stay alive. Not exaggerating. "Alchemy exploit", my bum....
cosmo valerga

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 am

Or, you could bring the Ebony Arrows of Slaying and Azura's Star, as mentioned elsewhere on this page? :toughninja:

Of course, I think you were roleplaying and wouldn't have been able to use those arrows. But I think I will with my stealthy archer character. :smile:
Yvonne

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am

Or, you could bring the Ebony Arrows of Slaying and Azura's Star, as mentioned elsewhere on this page? :toughninja:

Mm, if only it were that easy.... you'll note on the wiki page that she has 600% resist magicka. :swear:
Margarita Diaz

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Phooey!!

Guilty as charged regarding the wiki. :facepalm: I use it a *lot*, but haven't gotten that far yet. Sometimes I feel like I spend most of my time playing with my laptop right beside me!
Adam Kriner

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:33 am

Damn. I do everything at quite low levels so I wasn't aware of how wicked this beast could be. After reading the Wiki it seems the only magic that can touch her is fire. And I'm an insanely talented enchanter. I'll get some extreme vengeance for you.
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:53 am

Gedna Revel nearly drove me to spike my controller after she killed off my character about five times in a row. For me, the hardest fight in Morrowind, Tribunal, OR Bloodmoon, by far. I had the slider set all the way to the left, too.

I made my husband kill her. Good riddance.
Jade

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:59 am

Whoa. I dint know there were actually creatures leveled to the PC in Morrowind.
On the UESP page for her I noticed it said that she was one of few actual leveled enemies.
Does anyone know any other leveled enemies?
I searched but to no avail.
NeverStopThe

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Gedna Relvel was the single toughest fight I ever encountered. I only challenged her on one occasion but that battle was epic. I ended up using almost all my valuable scrolls and potions like they were cheap.
Amber Ably

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:23 pm

cool, i'm not the only one :)
i'm running morrowind with BTB's game improvements (so, all the major constant resistance artifacts nerfed) and was lvl37 when i entered the tomb.
she only needed two shots of her "death ray" to kill me.
end of the story: me the first time cheating -.- i tried about two hours and got sick of it, so i used the console to scale her life down to reasonable values (more than almalexia still)
and shot her down with a daedric long bow. seriously, she needs balancing through a mod or something.
David John Hunter

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:17 pm

So random... I had absolutely no problem with Gedna. I had visited the tomb and gotten the smell text for, like, a level or two beforehand, but still... Or is the opening of the actual hidden tomb inside what counts? In that case, I just went there. She went down almost as easily as the other litches. o_O I dodged her spells though (with Boots of Blinding Speed it isn't that had), shot her with the Mace of Aevar Stone-Singer a few times - and dead she was. Again. :P Now motoristically, too. I never realized she was leveled, nor was it hard at all. How strange...

It has been very nice to read with your experiences with her though. I can tell some of you have been REALLY incredulous, frustrated! :D
Heather Stewart

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:33 pm

strange indeed.
i checked her life before altering it, it was definitely a five-digit number, about 30k if i remember it right.
unbeatable for me with no serious defence against the deathrays (boots of blinding speed are also nerfed by BTB, by the way ;) )
Raymond J. Ramirez

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:39 am

I'm with Nelacayne...well almost. I don't even remember fighting Gedna. (I've looked at the journal in the 1 game I've saved which includes Tribunal and it says I completed the quest).

I do though play essentially mod free. I wonder if one of those mods that "everybody" uses could be the difference.
Sabrina garzotto

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm with Nelacayne...well almost. I don't even remember fighting Gedna. (I've looked at the journal in the 1 game I've saved which includes Tribunal and it says I completed the quest).

I do though play essentially mod free. I wonder if one of those mods that "everybody" uses could be the difference.

Could be, since I play pretty much mod-free as well. :)

And even though she becomes even progressively harder the higher your own level is, it shouldn't matter that much if you're on level 28 or 38 I guess. I mean, she should be really freaking hard at 28 already, shouldn't she? Well, she wasn't... I had by far harder time with Almalexia and Gaenor. And a single werewolf even.
jennie xhx

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:11 pm

I think part of my problem was being at 100 difficulty. Even with super powerful weapons, her huge health level and constant health regeneration mean you're stuck hacking away forever with the difficulty modifier applied (I think you do 1/6th the damage at 100 difficulty, if I recall a recent conversation with Pseron Weird correctly...)
jasminĪµ

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:16 pm

I have beat Gedna Relvel down plenty of times (playing at normal level on xbox.) To me, Gaenor is tougher (he's pretty easy if you have high hand to hand skills to keep him from hitting you too often), and Almalexia is the toughest (one time I had to even use the black-white button cheat to get past her!) Well, Almalexia and the werewolves are about equal in difficulty, way tougher than Gedna though!
CSar L

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:45 pm

hm...
strange

maybe it's morrowind advanced, will check that when i'm at the windows machine next time.
Susan

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 am

Gaenor was way more annoying, especially since I tried to beat him "normally" (I'm a mage). Gedna Relvel I just beat down, although three (!) of my daggers went dull and I ended up hand-to-handing her.
NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Gedna Relvel isn't tough once you know the strength and weakness. i play as a stock nightblade. sneak was at 100 and was fortified by 50% chameleon. cast a bunch of fire damage spells at her. took awhile, she just stood there and took the damage. it seems some of the nasties are program not to flee if seriously injured.

karrod gave me more of a fight. i though he would be stronger but i didn't know what he was about until after the battle. i used a mundane shortsword, it wasn't good enough. i had to use a lot of spells on him.
Kim Bradley

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:07 am

Having my char's HP capped to 300 (even though I'm at lvl 75), at 100 Difficulty, and liking being Unarmored makes many fights difficult...last one I had was against two nasty Flesh Atronach who attacked me at once. If it weren't for my companions, I'd have easily died. Also, I hate Creatures X' Golden Saints. They can paralyze you, and I could swear they have an even nastier Reflect ability. Again, if it weren't for my companions, I'd had got killed by them more than once.

But Gedna seems a worthy fight. At least she doesn't seems to have any Reflect cr*p, and I'm an expert avoiding On Target spells, so I'm sure my Absorb Health-enchanted sword can take care of her.
Donatus Uwasomba

Return to III - Morrowind