Getting Piper to Give it Up . . . the "perk" I mean

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:44 am

I'm doing a playthrough where I went straight to Diamond City, got her pretty quickly after I opened up Hangman's Alley. About two levels ago I went back to Concord and saved the Quincy refugees, and will keep doing Minutemen's until Piper hits max affinity.

Any suggestions on getting to max affinity more quickly?

Also which companion would you do after I get in her Perks and retire to the "Used Companion Settlment?"

She has given me the speech about Nat, and I told her "Just Love her . . ." so I think I'm pretty close. Maybe one or missions to save the helpless villagers?

Ann Church

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:52 am

Pick any lock you come across, unless it would be stealing or trespassing.

bimsy

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:31 am

She likes to get into things doesn't she ;)

kyle pinchen

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:56 am

Getting Piper to adore you is relatively easy. Like already suggested, all you need to do is to pick (unowned) locks. The problem for maxing out fast is that there is an internal (hidden) timer. Piper ( or any companion) will only 'like' one of those action every 3 ingame hours.

An easy, yet little bit annoying, workaround is to quicksave and reload every time you are about to pick a new lock. If there is a bed or chair near by you can wait for 3 hours as well. Another trick is to find a safe with a terminal attached. Just unlock the safe (Important: at least one item must stay in the safe) and simply lock it again with the terminal. Then quicksave, reload and rinse and repeat. A good place for this is the Super-Duper-Mart.

This is probably the fastest but definitely the most boring way to do it. I suggest the first savescuming method i described and just wandering through the world.

Good luck
Adam Porter

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Ah thank! I don't normally do a lot of "gamey" things, preferring to just play "au naturale" but in this case I think I might just do a new game and make a complete "beeline for Piper's Perks." Sounds like her perk is the single most useful thing to get early in the game as a result of it being 100% bonus XP for every dialogue AND place discovered. That is fricking huge. I'm inclined to try to get it just as early as I can and with as few places discovered as possible just to see how big a difference it can make in a game.

With a high INT character it could be pretty cool.

I suppose with some luck and advanced knowledge, it should be possible to make it to Diamond City without (a) getting killed; or ( B) discovering any other XP-giving locations.

Who would you guys suggest as "number two companion, after her?

Brooke Turner

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:48 pm

even if you had 150 locations that's only 1000 bonus xp total. Oh and the 20 something speech checks for an extra 200 xp. What a great use of time.
patricia kris

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:55 am

Where are you coming up with these numbers? The amount of experience you get is modified by your INT and other things. There are at least 188 locations in the game, and I think more toward 300 (280s?).

The http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gift_of_Gab perk actually gives _100%_ bonus, not 10% like I wrote before I edited it.

Laura Wilson

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Join the Sisterhood of Steel, go to Proctor Teagan, there is a terminal and a lock, lock it with the terminal then picklock the door then save and reload and lock then picklock it again.

carrie roche

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:04 am

Piper is one of easy one to max out relationship. Cait not so easy because she dislike the mm quests. Strong dislike when I open closed containers/safe and doors so I went with him on mm radiant, but I kept the most loot behind. Cait like stealing so I went to DC and Goodneighborhood just going on raid - a little bit tricky because of the guards etc.

Cheers,

-Klevs

Jodie Bardgett

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 am

300 x 25 xp is still terrible for the amount of time involved.
Dina Boudreau

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:26 pm

That's an unfriendly lock, so that wouldn't be a good one to choose.

Milagros Osorio

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:15 am

That's weird, it appears to be white for me, maybe my game glitched.

sarah

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:12 pm

It's possible that I'm remembering wrong.

Natalie Taylor

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:16 am

Beth is scaring me now - have they been inside my head, visiting my dreams?

Piper is pretty well PERFECT in my mind, heheh...

Just exactly what I'm looking for in real-life, actually!

Pretty spooky stuff, Todd.

Keep it up and I'm going to be needing a lot more tinfoil...

josh evans

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:02 pm

Well I did it. I started up a new game, and got the Piper Perk by Level 7, with only 7 locations discovered (my PipBoy says "13 Discovered" but 6 of those are ones I haven't actually visited) . 10 days passed, 41 hours slept, 172 hours waiting.

It was a bit tedious but for double XP from all locations and dialogues it'll be nice for a long-term character. Had I been even a bit more gamey than I was, I probably could've got by with only 4 locations visited instead of 7. Even though this is in spoilers, I'll put the specifics of the scheme in spoilers, but hint that "there is a terminal-safe getup" very near to D.C. that you can use ;)

This did not involve any true "exploits," or cheats, though I did use console a bit to make sure things were progressing and when I started to get impatient and was wondering what my affinity was at.

Spoiler

This was on Hard difficulty, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be done on Very Hard or Survival.

After leaving the vault I headed north, then west, then southwest, then south. Avoided the mole rat, grabbed the loot at the RR observation point, avoided the blood bug at the creek and headed southwest. Avoided the raiders at the powerline, though they did detect me and I ran, sprinting across the creek and along the power line east until I got in sight of the Ranger Cabin and Abernathy Farm.

Turned right and weaved my way along between locations (avoiding getting close enough to "discover" them) avoided bloatflies, avoided ghouls at Gorski Cabin, followed a radstag to south, then cut sharply east a bit to get on the road on west side of Lexington.

Avoided the rad roaches at the collapsed house to west of Corvega, stayed on the road south, and when I got to the Charles, turned right and crossed the Charles using the railroad bridge near Beantown. Avoided getting too close to Beantown then hugged the southern bank of the Charles all the way to where it got to the next bridge. From there it was a breeze to get to Diamond City.

Once I met Piper I immediately recruited her and started doing stuff she would like.

Gave Sheffield a Nuka-Cola. pvssyd with Ms. Edna. Helped Sheng with his water purifier. pvssyd with Vadim, helped Travis in the barfight and then played matchmaker. By the time of the kidnapping of Vadim quest in "Confidence Man" popped I had a reasonable set of kit if I recall, but I couldn't think of any more quests "in" D.C. that would necessarily involve the kind of behaviors Piper likes. At one point I did hack the mayor's safe, but because that is red she actually DISLIKED that!

So we headed to BackStreet Apparel, which is the real key to doing this . . . as long as you have enough lockpicks and the capacity to Clear BackStreet, you are golden.

Cleared Backstreet, and started hacking. By this time I was probably level 3 or 4 so I had Hacking 1 and Lockpicking 1, something like that. I'm pretty good at both those mini-games, but both the computer and safe are "Advanced" so I think you need at least level 1 in both those perks. Actually not 100% sure on the lockpicking . . .

It was then I realized, I only had about 3 lockpicks! I cracked it as many times as I could but eventually broke all three of them.

So I had to go back to D.C. and buy more lockpicks, but no one had any (or I overlooked them). So I resolved to go for a tour around the immediate outskirts of D.C. (something I had never done and it was fun, quite a few easter eggs and things you can climb up into that most users have probably missed so far). This tour of the immediate outside of the city led me to inadvertently visit the police station and public library which bumped my total locations up from only four to six visited. I'd say the minimum (without using console) would be:

1. Vault 111

2. D.C.

3. D.C. Market

4. Backstreet

I suppose you could even get away with not going to D.C. market but to do that you'd either have to cheat yourself some bobby pins, or know where you can go find them without visiting a location.

I still hadn't found that many bobby pins so I decided to just go with the Beantown quest, so that put me up to seven actually visited locations:

1. Vault 111

2. D.C.

3. D.C. Market

4. Backstreet

5. Police Precinct 8

6. Boston Public Library

7. Beantown

As far as the technique for gaining affinity: First clear all of Backstreet (you apparently cannot wait there till it is clear). The room with the terminal controlled safe is behind the cash registers (to right as you head toward stairs). There is a sofa and chair in the same area with the safe/terminal (also a workbench there) and I always told Piper to wait sitting on the sofa so she didn't run off and not see me being amazing with my bobby pins! Pick the safe, leave at least one item in it = KACHING! Piper liked that. Hack the terminal if you haven't already (only have to hack it once thank Atom) and lock up the safe again. Make a save, sit down on the sofa and wait 3 hours (supposedly this is how long it takes for the cool down, though at one point I did see something that would dispute that . . . I didn't have the resolve to test it though, thus the 172 hours waited): repeat.

I think at least one period of waiting was in association with the Confidence Man quests. 172/3 = 57.333, so I'd say I had to repeat the safe cracking anywhere from 50 to 55 times and that is in addition to the other stuff I did. The couple times that I looked in the console the lockpicking seemed to be racking up 10 points of affinity, so that makes reasonable sense: roughly 500 of affinity from cracking that safe repeatedly and another 500 from nice comments in dialogues, quests and the like.

In real life, I could go for a Piper like person, but in game, she cramps my style too much. I like selectively being a sarcastic jerk and/or meting out summary justice where it is needed, so I will be ditching her just as soon as I can get the next one.

I think I'm gonna go for MacReady as it sounds like he is more my style: he likes sarcasm, doesn't mind stealing.

I'll just play normal with him though, I don't really need his perk but of all the other companions he seems like the least obnoxious and whose perk is also of some value. Most of them sound pretty worthless honestly, in that they only activate when you get to low HP.

Angel Torres

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:17 am

Not as terrible as the time you wasted posting in this thread to say nothing of any merit or interest :goodjob:

Astargoth Rockin' Design

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:54 am

With INT boosted to 9 and well-rested perk (but no Mentats/Squirrel stew) I'm getting 59 experience points from location discovery. Haven't noticed on the dialogues yet.

suniti

Return to Fallout 4