Ghost in the Shell (2017) Teasers

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxRwc8Lp7XU

Thoughts?

I think they might actually do a decent job of capturing the world of GitS, but it's hard to tell. The thing, as we all know, that will make or break this as a GitS movie is it's story.

Emily Jeffs

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:42 pm

The visuals look interesting to me. I can't say more about it without seeing something more substantial.

Kanaoka

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am

My thoughts exactly. On visuals alone though, I would say it looks interesting and might be worth a watch. But I feel I'll wait for a good trailer (that hopefully doesnt ruin the movie) before I'll get any level of hype.

Naomi Ward

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:50 pm

As a fan of the GITS franchise, I can honestly say that I don't like what they've done to this movie at all.

Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Makes me wanna check out the anime.

Rusty Billiot

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:05 pm

The first shot of Motoko makes her look like crap, she looks like she's just been to an anime cosplay convention ans Motoko Kusinagi and didnt get a prize. The story will have to pull it out of the fire, fancy special effect just arent going to cut it, its the staple of most films now, and CGI is nothing nowadays.

Scott Clemmons

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:38 pm

It is hard to say.

If you have never heard of the series before you might be totally confused with that trailer and possibly even be turned off by it.

it will come down to the story but more to how the characters interact with each other was the true charm to the series just like it was with Star Trek the Original Series.

Me too. I might have to look for the series again.

Ash

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:00 am

If the earlier leaked cast list is infact true, its likely going to be a retelling of the Stand Alone Complex season 1, considering they cast someone as "The Laughing Man"

which honestly doesn't have me expecting much.. part of the appeal of SAC was the combination of the Stand Alone and the Complex episodes, the complex ones slowly revealing more about the laughing man and the whole Serano Genomics cover up, while the Stand Alone episodes fleshed out the setting further and provided character development..

that can't really be done in a single film, and even if they were just going to cherry pick from the complex episodes alot would still be lost to fit it into a single film..

yes, I am aware there was 2 and a half hour OVA Film that retold the whole laughing man case, but as with everytime they make a summary film of an anime they assume you have already watched the series to completion (seriously, try to watch that Laughing Man summary film, or better yet try and watch the 3 Zeta Gundam summary films without having seen the whole series prior, your gonna be confused as heck)..

if they had just been aiming for something set in the GitS universe, but creating a unique story while keeping the characters personalities and presentation the same, it could have turned out pretty good.. but if they are infact adapting SAC, i see failure in its future..

and since im on the subject, the whole "leaked cast images" from back in August don't have me very pleased whatsoever.. they made Togusa look like some heavily aged heartless Yakuza crime boss, which goes completely against his character (hes the youngest member of Section 9, the rookie, and a family man at heart) which makes me think they are going to try and completely change Togusa's character defining traits (seriously, that image alone has me fear they will try and turn Togusa into "old veteran who goes 'god dang changing times, whats this e-mail your talkin bout?'")..

and at the same time, Ishikawa looks far to young.. although, Saito and Aramaki actually look quite accurate surprisingly..

never saw any of the franchise? certainly a classic, but there would be alot of material to cover if you want to check it out.. I would suggest starting with either the Original film (1995) and its sequel, or jump right into Season one of Stand Alone Complex.. or if your into it, I can't praise the manga enough..

the characters are great, setting is interesting and complex, the cases they deal with are often intriguing and suspenseful, and they deal with alot of serious issues (Governmental Corruption, the Dangers of societies rapidly progressing technology, Transhumanism, sixuality, with the occasional glance at religions role in a world where "human" has become so vague a term)

YO MAma

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Nice post funnybunny.

Gaelle Courant

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:20 pm

thanks, i'm quite the GitS fan as you may have noticed :P

in reality, i think it would actually be possible to make a pretty good live action GitS film if done right, in theory at least.. I just don't think this will be it.. the GitS franchise and setting has potential, and the issues the series has always focused on are even more relevant today than they were than they were when it began back in 89..

however, Hollywood goes for those big blockbusters these days, I just don't see them putting in quite the level of effort needed to properly tackle those issues and provide the social commentary GitS is known for in a film..

Chelsea Head

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm not expecting what I would imagine a "Perfect" GitS live action film to be. I am going to keep my expectations reasonable and hold the movie by it's own merit in how well it tells the story, how well the characters are portrayed and interact and by how well it is edited. I'm also going to hold it to how loyal it is to it's source material, within a reasonable amount of fairness.

Well said. As I said above. With that said the points you bring up I do find troubling for this film and may bring up personal grievances for me. I'm planning on watching the original film and SAC (any other recommendations for continuity?) so I can refresh my memory on the universes philosophy, story and characters.

I dont have high hopes for this film but I am hoping they can at least make a competent film with a functioning story and fleshed out characters that can at least fit into the GitS universe with a "C" rating.

On a side note.... You know what anime I think WOULD make a decent live action adaptation in Hollywood?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armitage_III

le GraiN

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Johansson was a terrible choice.

Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 pm

I do not know she might be fine in the roll. It will come down to the writing and the chemistry between the cast. I have not seen enough on the teasers to make a solid judgement.

marina

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Okay that trailer gave me a headache (enough with the flashes yeesh), I hope the next one's a little better. Anyway I think ScarletJo might play a decent Major, if any actress can pull it off it's her.

Mistress trades Melissa

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:21 pm

It's actually 5 separate teasers that are out on social media. This just compiles them into one video. so that "flashing" is the intro and outro for each teaser.

jeremey wisor

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Better get the Excedrin on stand by :( .

ruCkii

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Eh, those aren't enough for me to really have much of an opinion on yet. :( The only thing so far that I can think of is that I always thought that Kusanagi had rather 'dead' looking eyes, and Johansson's eyes (in these teasers) look very much alive to me. :shrug:

:dead:

Ron

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Yes she her were somewhat expressionless, they always seemed somewhat dead.

Penny Courture

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Until you really piss her off.....
asako

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Ah---that reminds me of that time in SAC when S9 was fighting against S6 agents and one was in an armored suit and thought it was cool to attack the Major and destroy her arm. I have to say I've never seen the Major get THAT PO'd and boy was it scary lol :D.

Hannah Whitlock

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:57 pm

So...what I gathered from that was, "SCARLETT JOHANSSON CYBERPUNK SCARLETT JOHANSSON JAPAN SCARLETT JOHANSSON MONKS SCARLETT JOHANSSON 'GHOST IN THE SHELL' SCARLETT JOHANSSON!" That about sum it up?

Lil Miss

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:21 am

Pretty much.

Invasion's

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:38 pm

That was the scene that came to mind. :D
Victor Oropeza

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Does that include the Second Gig series, too? I like that because Saito and Pazu get an episode each and help flesh out their characters. I really like Saito's story :)

As for the trailer(s)... Not much there to have an opinion on. I'm in a "wait and see" mode on this :)

Amy Cooper

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Yep! Just got GitS 2.0 and was gonna watch it with the wife to introduce her to the franchise. Picked it up for $5 at Walmart :D
Jodie Bardgett

Next

Return to Othor Games