Giants 101

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi everyone, I would like to know everything about these mysterious creatures. Also can giants talk to humans? I know in Skyrim we have to avoid them, but I remember hearing that the ancient giants of Vvardenfell referred to the Dwemer as Dwarves due to the height differential. Did these giants talk to the Dwemer? Did they trade? Or were they the same as Skyrim's giants, just tending to their herd? Can some giants be smart? Or are they all simple minded?

Margarita Diaz

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Oops! Wrong section. Thread has been reported.

KRistina Karlsson

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Who recorded that the Giants called the Dwemer "Dwarves"? Was it the Giants themselves, or some Elven scholar?
Amy Gibson

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:53 am

Ooh! Also, perhaps the Dwemer's development of the Centurions was in response to some perceived threat from the Giants.
Nick Tyler

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:50 am

Here's a text, http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:All_About_Giants, on the subject from ESO.

Remember how Bethesda deliberately kept sufficiently amusing TES V glitches in the game? It seems one glitch was amusing enough to become canon.

matt

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:17 pm

What if you were a Giant?

https://youtu.be/20Fq2huhvEI

A good watch that delves into the science of being a man that's four times the size of a normal man.

Apparently no one could hear you because your voice would be 4x lower than normal. Making most pitches of speak below audible recognition to normal people. Dogs and cats could still hear you though :P
Amy Gibson

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:25 pm

The origin of this explanation, as far as I know, comes from the http://www.imperial-library.info/content/pocket-guide-empire-first-edition-hammerfell It reads:

There is also a bit from a http://www.imperial-library.info/content/interviews-dwemer. It reads:

Celestine Stardust

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:39 am

That book was hilarious.:lol:

That was a very informative video.:)

Nomee

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:45 pm

...your new arch enemy - the wind.

So, giants have been at war with Kyne. No wonder they hate her children. :lol:

lilmissparty

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:29 pm

In Daggerfall, the player can learn the Giantish language, so communication is possible. In-game, this just translates to an increased chance that giants won't attack, so it's not clear how deep of a conversation is had.

It is also worth noting that the giants in Daggerfall (Illiac bay region) look different to those in Skyrim. They are proportionally wider, with smaller hands. Whether they are different species or subspecies, or this is simply a design decision, I don't know.

Ian White

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:55 am

This brings up another question: Are there different subspecies of giants?

Phoenix Draven

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:19 am

According to Destri Melarg, there were giant goblins in the Wrothgarians. Skyrim's frost giants come to mind.

NEGRO

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:41 am

Skyrim's Frost Giants do look radically different from...anything we've seen giant related. I'm not entirely convinced they're of the same species of the Giants of Highrock and Skyrim.

We have fought Summerset war goblins in Tribunal. The more powerful among them were larger then the Nords, IIRC.

Forget Daggerfall, in Skyrim, we have seen some transaction between giants and Nords every once in awhile. The PC manages to sell one a goat during their drunken escapades, and one scrapped Civil War quests involved recruiting a giant on to your side.

GRAEME

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:59 pm

In some ways they seem to resemble trolls- similarly shaped skulls with odd number of eyes, similar extremities, and a weakness to fire.

Andy durkan

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:09 am

Ooh! Also there is a farmer taking a cow to the Giants as tribute.
Curveballs On Phoenix

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:17 am

?

According to http://www.imperial-library.info/content/seven-fights-aldudagga, Nords were once the same as giants, but time passed, and they became separate races, presumable sometime during the Dawn or the early Merethic. Things like imps and ogres have been theorized to have come from the same stock as man and mer, so giants probably came from it as well.

In ESO, there is a http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lyris_Titanborn who claims to be half-giant, which would confirm giants to be another race of mortal, but her claims are debatable as her father is a known Nord, which would have to make her mother the giant, but since offspring takes the race of the mother, she is clearly lying, or the giantish of which she speaks comes from farther up a generation. Though she would no longer be able to claim being half-giant then. ?I've never played ESO, so they might have expanded upon it more ingame than what is given on the wiki.

Regardless, there are probably at least differing races of giant the same way there are differing races of man and mer.

-__^

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:33 am

That one didn't end too well in my game.

My take on that is that it's more of a simplified rule of thumb, and there's actually a bit more complex rules at play, depending on how close the parents races are.

Say, the parents races are the same, so the child gets his or hers traits 50-50 from them. Man races like Nords and Imperials are pretty similar, so for couples like that it might be more like 65-35. Children with Man-Mer parents might get their traits 80-20, with only slight visible hints of their father, but changed lifespan. Man-Beast... 95-5? "Hey Hrolf, you're so good at climbing, one might think you're part Khajiit!" "Haha, no, just pure Nord blooded Stormcloak here! 100% pure!" "You know, I didn't mean to imply anyt-" "ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!"

If Nords are descended from Giants, their children might get more of their traits from the father than usual.
Calum Campbell

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Did you slaughter the poor farmer and his cow? Lol
rae.x

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:03 pm

Interesting, that last part with the Nord climbing like a Khajiit is hilarious.:lol:

Bethany Watkin

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Something else of this nature that comes to mind is Alessia and Morihaus apparently being the progenitors of the minotaurs.

I'd compare the relationship between Nords and Giants to that of Bosmer and Khajiit before Y'ffre and Azura stepped in, in which they were once one form of Ehlnofey before going their separate ways. The split between them presumably happened some time during the Dawn, when reality was much more malleable.

k a t e

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:19 pm

More along the lines of a Giant chasing the farmer, farmer running away, farmer stopping to cower and hide, Giant catching up to the farmer, farmer running away...

I've never really gotten my head around the creation-part of the races.

kiss my weasel

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion