Glitches only affecting those with existing game data?

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:41 pm

It seems as though Bethesda has detailed that the solution is to start over. Yet, it seems that people are just deleting game saves.

Is the issue that people want the game patched so that their existing game saves and game data will work without freezing issues?

I just bought the GOTY edition and played the regular edition for a little while and plan on deleting all of the data associated with that one before I start the GOTY.

From what I've read, people who start fresh by deleting games saves AND game data or just started the GOTY edition without having played the other are not having issues.

I can understand not wanting to start over, I had to after investing nearly 50 hours in Resistance 2, but [censored] happens and I got over it.

Is the issue most people are taking with Bethesda wanting a patch for existing game progress?
Anthony Rand

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:09 am

At the moment, it's the low FPS, freezing that people are talking about. But once that's resolved, not sure if it will be, the gameplay glitches will start popping up more. Primarily related to the main quest, which if not completed renders Broken Steel pretty much worthless. Like Liberty Prime not moving, Dr. Li and Garza in Waters of Life, Jefferson Memorial freezing, Elder Lyons cutscene. And let's not forget the corrupted area where you'll wander into some zone and the game just freezes. It's a long list. This recent DLC/GOTY is just the tip of the iceberg because it's the most noticeable.
carrie roche

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

From what I've read, people who start fresh by deleting games saves AND game data or just started the GOTY edition without having played the other are not having issues.

I just had holiday and did start the GOTY - Edition from scratch (my save wouldn't have been compatible anyway since my "vanilla" version was from another region) and I ran into the same freezing problems... so no, I don't think thats the cause.

But woohoo..., was playing Point Lookout today, solving all quests and getting all trophies and only three freezes so far :celebrate: ...:nuke:...
Chris Guerin

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:57 pm

I just had holiday and did start the GOTY - Edition from scratch (my save wouldn't have been compatible anyway since my "vanilla" version was from another region) and I ran into the same freezing problems... so no, I don't think thats the cause.

But woohoo..., was playing Point Lookout today, solving all quests and getting all trophies and only three freezes so far :celebrate: ...:nuke:...

But, did you also go to the game data folder and completely remove ALL files associated with Fallout...not just game saves?
stevie critchley

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

But, did you also go to the game data folder and completely remove ALL files associated with Fallout...not just game saves?

Yep!
Everardo Montano

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 pm

My wife just finished Mother Ship Zeta at level 6 with no freezes. I am beginning to think that the real issues are indeed the existing data. That sux but maybe that reveals why we have no response as of yet. A patch may indeed be incoming. Of coarse it could be that we have been lucky with our new games in the early levels.
Dezzeh

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 pm

i didn't have an old save to begin with, bought my ps3 brand new with the goty edition, i've played through all the dlc's except broken steel, and have only experienced minor bugs and freezing, so i don't know, i've heard though that the bigger the save file gets the more freezing you will experience, the biggest file i've had so far is 7,000 mb, but we shall see later on, i do hope a patch will be available to us later on though
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:05 pm

i didn't have an old save to begin with, bought my ps3 brand new with the goty edition, i've played through all the dlc's except broken steel, and have only experienced minor bugs and freezing, so i don't know, i've heard though that the bigger the save file gets the more freezing you will experience, the biggest file i've had so far is 7,000 mb, but we shall see later on, i do hope a patch will be available to us later on though

Like mentioned before I started the DLCs after reaching level 20, my savegame is 12 MB now, Level 27... clearing the cache with L2+R2+SQARE before the start screens seems to grant me some more minutes of gameplay till it freezes ;) In the 8 hours (with some breaks in between, game still running) I played the game today it froze "just" 5 times on me... Next one will the Pitt, and last Operation Anchorage (this one svcked, but I've to go through it again for the trophies <_< )
Darlene Delk

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 am

As I stated in another thread. I think the problem is with the game engine having to track all of the info in the game. The reason why we never had this problem in Oblivion is because stuff respwans in Oblivion every 3 days. With Fallout 3 everything you do in game is tracked, from blowing up a car, opening a door, looting a area etc. Once you do any of these things they stay that way for ever, nothing respwans. So the game engine is tracking all of this and the bigger the file gets. The more resources it uses to the point of the PS3 pukes and Freezes.

The reason (well I think anyway) why people who started fresh are not having any problems is because their save file is still small. My save file is 15MB and I have 86hrs on my save. When I started GOTY I had 8hrs on my save and the file size was still small. I would love to hear from anyone who started fresh with GOTY and has a file size the same size as mine. I didn't start having problems until my save file was around 10mb. It was down hill from there, now I get constance freezing!

P.S. I have started over with a new game and experienced freezing. But I never deleted 100% of everything off the hard drive and tried that.
Kortknee Bell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:05 am

As I stated in another thread. I think the problem is with the game engine having to track all of the info in the game. The reason why we never had this problem in Oblivion is because stuff respwans in Oblivion every 3 days. With Fallout 3 everything you do in game is tracked, from blowing up a car, opening a door, looting a area etc. Once you do any of these things they stay that way for ever, nothing respwans. So the game engine is tracking all of this and the bigger the file gets. The more resources it uses to the point of the PS3 pukes and Freezes.

The reason (well I think anyway) why people who started fresh are not having any problems is because their save file is still small. My save file is 15MB and I have 86hrs on my save. When I started GOTY I had 8hrs on my save and the file size was still small. I would love to hear from anyone who started fresh with GOTY and has a file size the same size as mine. I didn't start having problems until my save file was around 10mb. It was down hill from there, now I get constance freezing!

P.S. I have started over with a new game and experienced freezing. But I never deleted 100% of everything off the hard drive and tried that.

Ha, when I tried to get to the Pitt yesterday it froze on half the way up there..., time to quit I guess ;) My Savegame is 13MB now, 59hrs.. The freezes are still limited to open areas like the wasteland or the point lookout map.., except for one occasion in Mothership Zeta I had no "indoor"-crash yet!
IM NOT EASY

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 pm

It was down hill from there, now I get constance freezing!

Does freezing in Fallout result in a constant need to reset the PS3?

Or is it 'freezing' like in the old NES days in which too many sprites were on the screen and it goes away eventually?
Sanctum

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Does freezing in Fallout result in a constant need to reset the PS3?

Or is it 'freezing' like in the old NES days in which too many sprites were on the screen and it goes away eventually?

Haha, good ol' times... well and both things are the case, sometimes it freezes up and unfreezes after several seconds/minutes (I think my longest freeze was around 15 minutes on vanilla Fallout 3 with a very big save too) and sometimes it totally locks up..., or maybe it'll unfreeze too, the longest time I waited was 45 minutes now and nothing happened, but I really can't be bothered to wait that long for a quality-controled game...;)
Farrah Barry

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:08 pm

I got GOTY for my new Ps3 after loving vanilla + DLC for Xbox, There was no hint of any probs on xb apart from occasional freeze, but back onto topic, my GOTY ps3 had some framerate issues from 1st moment of gameplay. im sure now im 50 hrs in ive seen most reported bugs, Freezing problems are now escalating as my save data is at 12mb soon it will be unplayable.

Shame on you Bethesda for blantant robbery, most people who buy GOTY would be the ones who helped make it that by buying the origional at release too, Shame on you.
Rudi Carter

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Been a long time since this thread was updated but I thought I would chime in with some new"ish" info.

I replaced my HDD and started over again from the beginning with my GOTY and finished right before FO:NV launched. I did indeed get freezes during game play but nothing to rant about (mostly...lol). I didn't notice any bugs or glitches that hadn't been there in the vanilla game. The only place I had to be cautious was The Pitt and that was because of two well known bugs. One was that I was alread over level 15 and had over 60 hours booked making my save just under 10 mb. The second was that during the quest to get the steel ingots there is a very large chance that the game will lock up while in VATS. To combat this I saved frequently and didn't use VATS even once during the whole time I was in The Pitt. I didn't get so much as a significant stutter in framerate.

I am putting the issues with GOTY down to needing to delete all old data and watching your file size. No biggie!
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 pm

The same thing happens every month. Someone buys the game, barely plays it, gets a crash, comes here, restarts their unit, thinks they've got the fix, they don't, then we all end up realizing a patch is mandatory.

Trust me, once you reach level 30, finish all the expansion quests, you won't be able to play the game 2 minutes with a PS3 freezing crash.

The bug has to do with memory management. The engine is designed to read the entire saved file into memory in one pass. This means that up to 16 meg of RAM is taken from the 256 megs that is heavily consumed by the game engine, levels, characters, etc.

gamesas needs to rewrite their game data into a partitioned model that allows for surgical loading (difficult with PS3's current platform model). Once they can load say, 6 megs of a 16 meg saved files, we'll be back in action. It's either that or the restrict the application heap to allow for more room, but I'm sure if it were that easy, we'd have a patch by now.
Cat Haines

Return to Fallout 3