Glowmapping Textures

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:24 am

So, I got my first two mods all nice and working, but I've been wanting to add glowmaps to the textures. How do I accomplish this? I've looked at several tutorials and have rummaged through other mods that have it, but I just can NOT get it to work at all. I end up with the whole texture glowing, not just the parts I want... How do I add a glow map? I would greatly appreciate any help!

quinnnn

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:46 am

Forget about messing with alpha maps (I'm not even sure Morrowind can handle multiple alphas on the same object, just on the base texture) and make the parts you don't want to glow pure black. This also goes for normal maps btw, because Morrowind's engine is so old it was designed for old fashioned greyscale bump maps.

Edit: not quite right, it can also handle an extra alpha channel on a decal texture, but I'm pretty sure about it not handling the rest. At least, I've had no luck doing anything but blacking bits out.
Eileen Collinson

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:21 am

Oh, okay. So if the object has different parts that have different textures, I shouldn't even bother, then?

I have the glowmapped texture ready, with the all-black non-glow sections, how do I set it to be recognized by the game? I'm using Nifskope, btw. I've read that you have to have it named "example_g.dds" for your "example.dds" file. I have the regular texture in there, but how do I have Nifskope recognize the glowmap?

With things I know glowmap, when I switch the lighting all the way down, I see the mapping glow correctly. But I cannot seem to get mine to operate right. :/

MARLON JOHNSON

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Are you having trouble adding it to the object in Nifskope? Because when you right click on the node right above the base texture, in the texture menu it lets you add a glow map. Now, I've had problems adding a glow map again after removing one without using the proper "remove node" option from the block menu. It might mean you need to open the Block Details window, check the "Has Glow Texture" block and set it to off to clean it up before adding a glow map again.

Kortniie Dumont

Return to III - Morrowind