GotY Installshield issue?

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 am

So, I just got Fallout 3 GotY Edition (DVD version) for the PC for Christmas, and I can't get it to install at all. I noticed that a lot of people have had problems with getting disc #2 to install the DLC content, which was remedied by using SafeMode.

Unfortunately, I can't even get disc #1 to work properly. I've tried installing in SafeMode, tried disabling Autoplay on my DVD-ROM, tried running the setup.exe directly from the first DVD itself, all to no avail. Every time I try to install FO3, I get this message:

An error (-5004 0x080070002) has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications.
If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Bethesda Softworks
(http://fallout.gamesas.com)

The additional information about the error is provided below:

Error Code: -5004 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (3085)
PAPP:Fallout 3
PVENDOR:Bethesda Softworks (http://fallout.gamesas.com)
PGUID:974c4b12-4d02-4879-85e0-61c95cc63e9e
$11.0.0.28844
@Windows Service Pack 2 (6002) BT_OTHER 328.84

My computer is configured as such:

Windows Vista SP2
Intel Core i7 920 (stock clock)
3GB memory
181GB free hard disk space
dual ATI 4850HD (512MB)
no virus scanner installed, with the exception of Windows Defender

I think it goes without saying that I've tried following what the error message instructs me to do, but in fact I have no other installations running, nor did I have any other programs running at all. I went through my running processes in the task manager, and closed out pretty much everything that's not needed to sustain normal PC operation, tried installing in SafeMode, and still can't figure anything out.

I loved this game when I borrowed it from a friend on the XBox 360, but didn't get a chance to play all the way through, and was really excited to receive the GotY Edition for the PC the other day. Any and all help in sorting out this problem would be GREATLY appreciated!

PS - I thought I should mention that I currently have Oblivion GotY Edition (Steam version) installed on the same computer, and although it is the Steam version, everything installed just fine, and everything works just fine, including the expansion packs that came with it.
Kathryn Medows

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:52 am

Sorry for the double post, but I just figured out a solution (not sure of how smart this was, but it worked).

I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files and renamed the InstallShield folder, then tried opening up the install wizard again. It seems to be working, because it's currently installing as I type this. It also seems that the DVD itself puts a copy of InstallShield onto your computer while it's installing the game, because now I have the renamed folder for the original InstallShield files, as well as a folder called InstallShield that was created when I started the FO3 setup.exe. I'll post back in a little while on here once more to let everyone know of the outcome.

Hopefully this will help anyone else that has this problem!
Andrew Perry

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:22 am

Alright, looks like everything installed perfectly fine, and I just popped in disc #2 to install the DLCs. That is also installing just fine (in normal Windows mode, not SafeMode), so it seems as if it could be a problem with either the InstallShield that was already on my computer, or the InstallShield that comes on the DVDs. Either way, all is well.

Again, hopefully this information helps people out! :)
Sxc-Mary

Return to Fallout 3