Guys! Having a bit of Oblivion PC troubles...

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:24 am

My previous PC is having some Oblivion troubles, so I'm toying with the idea of building a new PC. Can you guys let me know if this build will max Oblivion+GPU intensive mods? Also, I can you just rate the build in general? Maybe give some advice? Thanks guys!

Configuration

BLUETOOTH: USB Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter [+10]
CARE2: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CAS: Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case with 4 Hot Swappable HDD Cage & (4) 230MM Fans
CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3]
CPU: [Special] Intel? Core? i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366 [-300]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Blue Color)
FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
FAN: NZXT Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10]
HDD: 30 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
IEEE_CARD: None
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+18] (Corsair
MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable?3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
MOUSE: XtrellllmeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
NOISEREDUCE2: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
NOISEREDUCE3: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OS: Microsoft? Windows? 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: * 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: 10-FT HDMI v1.4 Cable Type-A Male to Male High Speed Cable [+10]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card [+
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

_PRICE: (+1716)
Karine laverre

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Can we assume that you won't be building it yourself, but be ordering it from a boutique?

That PC you quoted is very expensive for the parts.

What country do you live in, how much would you like to spend?

Do you have any parts you are planning to reuse from your old computer (such as mouse, keyboard, case, harddrive, etc.).
Ash

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:07 am

Looks like you're shopping at Buyxg. I suggest you to do a price comparison with CyberPowerPC's configurators:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_IV/
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_XT/

You have quite a LOT of add-ons with this system...do you really need all of them because they're driving up the price? Most of the items are ok if you really need all of them but...

- a 30GB SSD is not gonna get you much in terms of space.
- a PSU by Corsair is gonna better than that 800W XtremeGear PSU
- you're going a bit overkill with all the fan and cooling options IMO and that makes the PC look like it's costing more than it's worth]
- and is Intel and Nvidia your only preference? AMD route can get you quite a lot for the money:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_II/

The PC will run a heavily modded Oblivion pretty well, but $1700 can certainly get you a more powerful PC if you gave up all those add-ons.
GabiiE Liiziiouz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:04 am

Yeah, all that aftermarket frippery isn't needed unless you're a dedicated overclocker. I'm a bit out of the loop on bleeding edge hardware, but even I can see you're paying quite a bit for pointless and/or overpriced extras. It's how these sites make their profits.

You're throwing a lot of cash around so you might as well trim the fat and bump up your power levels a bit more. I mean, for that cash you can shop around, wait for some deals and get a motherboard, a reliable PSU, a good Phenom II X6, a 470 or 5870 (or maybe even a 480 or 5970 if you're lucky with your deals), 4 gb of quick DDR3 (all you need a 4gb right now. You can buy more later) and a nice 7200 rpm hdd stuffed into a modest looking case. That's all you need and it'll be raw power. A ton of junk in your trunk for PC gaming.

Of course if you don't have a monitor capable of displaying in super high resolutions or you don't play a lot of PC games raw power is a bit wasted. In which case you should listen to Tigs and go with something a bit modest.
Kyra

Return to IV - Oblivion