Help installing Oblivion in Windows 10

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:24 am

Since 2008, my Oblivion always ran fine.

Yesterday I upgraded my windows from 8.0 to 10 and Oblivion stopped working.

After spending the whole day trying many things, I decided to reinstall Oblivion from scratch.

Problem is: The installer wizard is crashing on me. Windows 10 pops up an error message saying setup.exe stopped working and Microsoft will let me know if they find a solution.

Does anyone knows where Win 10 keeps info about details of a crash? Or has any suggestion?

Ian White

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:45 am

Is this a Steam or Retail disk version of the game?

Where are you trying to install the game. It is best not to install the game to the programs folder?

Jah Allen

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Retail. The Oblivion GOTY edition.

I don't get to the part where I choose where to install.

When I auto-run the DVD, a small window pops up saying that the Oblivion setup is preparing the InstallShield.

The progress bar halts about 30% of the way and the error message pops up saying that setup.exe has stopped working and will be closed.

It does not give any clue of what is wrong, but I suppose Windows keeps some log somewhere with some detail that may lead to a solution.

Sarah MacLeod

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:36 pm

I've found out that Oblivion is still in the program list, so I tried to uninstall it.

Exactly the same result as before: When I hit uninstall from the Control Panel program list, a small window pops up saiyng “ Oblivion setup is preparing the InstallShiels, etc, etc.”, The progress bar starts filling and, about 30% of the way, an error message pops up saying “Setup.exe stopped working”. The InstallShield itself never shows up.

I also noticed that it shows as 924 GB in the Control Panel program list, which is evidently wrong.

I have already run “sfc /scannow and it did not find anything wrong

Any way of removing an application without using the official uninstall process?

Tyrel

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Which security programs are you running. They might be blocking the installation of the game.

Are running as Admin when installing the game. Do not auto-run the DvD. Explore the disk and then right click on the setup.exe and run as admin.

Loane

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:31 am

No luck. Suspended Avast and still nothing. Running as admin, neither. Same results as before.

From a suggestion in the Windows10 forums, I installed and executed Revo Unistaller and it did get to remove Oblivion from the program list, and, supposedly, cleaned up any garbage that may have left behind.

Unfortunately, removing Oblivion did not help. I still can't reinstall.

I don't think it is directly related to 'installation', per se. As far I understand it, Setup.exe is part of InstallShield, which comes with Windows. And setup.exe is crashing way before it gets to start installing anything.

Funny thing that setup.exe is used both for install and uninstall and it is crashing in both situations. I've just noticed that the 13 copies of setup.exe i have in my C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information are very old (2001-2004). The one in the Oblivion GOTY DVD is the most recent (2007).

dean Cutler

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:36 am

If you've got the space, I would try copying the contents of the CD to a temporary directory. Click on setup.exe and have it run in compatibility mode. I think it will still want to check the CD, but that might get around the crash.
James Potter

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:20 am

I did that, but, even in the HD, setup.exe does not show a compatibility tab. Tried all compatibility combinations in OblivionLauncher.exe.

I am so frustrated . . .

This a copy of the text I am posting on the Micrisoft Community site. Do you think I should post it in the TAL Win10 forum, also?

------------------------------------

Greetings,

I have just upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 10, accepting a Microsoft offer that popped up in my PC.

Problem is that, now, I cannot install any application that uses InstalShield.

Short story:

After the upgrade, when I run InstallShield’s setup.exe from an installation DVD, a small window pops up saying “Oblivion setup is preparing the InstallShield Wizard, etc, etc.”.

The progress bar starts filling and, about 30% of the way, an error message pops up saying “Setup.exe stopped working”. Sometimes (about 1 in 10), the progress bar goes up to 60% filled, but it crashes the same way.

The InstallShield welcome screen itself never shows up.

Long story:

With Windows 10, one of my games behaved erratic and I decided to reinstall it. The uninstall process presented the same error as above. From a suggestion in a Forum, I used Revo Uninstall and it seems it solved the initial problem, but, as aforementioned, the insrall problem remains.

The game is Oblivion and it does not have a compatibility problem. The game community has more that a million people and I am sure thousands and thousands of them use Windows 10. Also, I have uninstalled and reinstalled this same DVDs on several windows versions over the last years.

Already tried:

· Install other DVDs, from different vendors, and all that use InstallShield present exacly the same problem. Applications that use other installers install fine (all DVDs installed many times in previous Windows versions).

· Run as administrator

· Installing with antivirus program off.

· Run “sfc /scannow and it did not find anything wrong.

· Installing in Safe Mode.

· Run from another user account

· Copied the DVD to HD and tried all compatibility options in the launcher that calls setup.exe (setup.exe, itself, does not show a compatibility tab)

· Following a suggestion in an old MS article about InstallShield problems, I renamed the InstallShield folder to InstallShieldA in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\". No luck. A new InstallShield folder was created (so I suppose it is an updated version).

· Checked Windows update (says the last verification was 8:08, this morning).

· Trying every several times a day, in the silly hope that it may work, this time. Noticed that every try adds a line in Task Manager titled: “InstallShield ® 64-bit Setup Engine”.

In all tries, the result was exactly the same.

Assuming that InstallShield is not bugged, my guess is that it encounters something it is not prepared to handle, and that weird something is a result of the Windows upgrade process (or even a pre-existing weirdness that Windows 8 did not care about).

Any idea of what may be the problem?

Or maybe a pointer to some internal Windows log that may have more details of what is happening behind the scene?

Specs: Windows 10 Pro x64, Processor: Intel i7-3770 3.5Ghz, memory: 16Gb.

-----------------------:

Manuel rivera

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:09 am

So you are having issues with installing other programs as well.

Are you missing any updates since the upgrade.

I wonder if during your upgrade of Windows 8 to Windows 10. You might have to reinstall Windows 10.

Penny Courture

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 am

I dont think so. I ran Windows Update several times since last Friday and it always says everything is OK.

The upgrade went flawlessly, as far as I can tell. I just started the process, it asked something and started doing its things, rebooting a couple of times in the process. No error messages at all.

If memory serves, the only interruption was when it said it would uninstall the SafeSign application because it was incompatible (an application related to my Smart Card Reader, which I reinstalled afterwards).

Cat Haines

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:28 am

Oblivion itself doesn't seem to be at fault as both the disk and the steam version work perfectly for me. From what you wrote it seems that either the disc is damaged or your Windows 10 installation might somehow be messed up. The difference for me is that I installed Windows 10 from scratch instead of upgrading directly from my Windows 7 installation. Maybe that broke something for you.

Lauren Denman

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:28 am

It is not the DVD as I have tried with two Oblivion versions and other games that use InstallShield. ALL crash the same way.

My guess also goes to the upgrade process.

--------------

I did post the question to Microsoft and a Support Engineer answered, but for some reason, the site must be with some problem and I cant login to reply

He says:

Type Troubleshooting on Search and hit Enter.

Click on View all and click on Program compatibility troubleshooter.

Click on Advance and check Apply repairs automatically.

Follow on-screen instructions.

Does anyone know what he is talking about?

I hit the magnifying glass on the bottom left, type "Troubleshooting" and a Bing web search pops up with all kinds of links (google style)

No "view all" button that I can see.

I figure I am on the wrong track, but I dont know any other "search" tool.

Nana Samboy

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:04 am

Right click the Windows logo in the lower left corner of the desktop and a menu will pop up with "Search". Maybe that's it.

suniti

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:15 am

I am afraid not. It leads to the same search as the magnifying glass

After some looking around, I found what ha was talking about in Control Panel > Troubleshooting > View all > Program compatibility troubleshooter.

It seems that all it does is trying with the varios compatibility possibilities, which I had already tried:

Compatibility with Vista, Win7 or Win8 does not change anything, same results.

Compatibility with XP or older Wins freezes the Setiup.exe windows before the progress bar even starts filling, and I have to kill the task in Task Mgr.

(The problem with logging into MS Community solved with erasing the browser cache. Will reply to the guy and see if he has more suggestions)

neen

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Since you just upgraded to Windows 10, you should be able to get some support from Microsoft. I do think it has something to do with the upgrade to Windows 10. If you look at our Windows 10 thread on TAL, you'll see that lmstearn (I think) had a similar problem and had to install Windows 10 from scratch.

We do have a number of people running Windows 10 on TAL, so you could try posting your question here: http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/forum/843-software/but I do think you should see if you can get some support from Microsoft by opening a support ticket.
Rhiannon Jones

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:37 am

I did ask Microsoft last week (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/installshield-setupexe-stopped-working-after/3bbfad23-597d-43af-9ad7-eb7f81bc9fd0?auth=1). So far, all I got was some initial, standard, copy-pasted suggestions (standard procedure, I suppose). I hope they will, eventually, nail the problem.

I suppose I will have to install a fresh Windows, but i will have to buy a new SSD, which will take a while.

I posted on the Windows 10 thread on TAL, in case someone there have additional things I could try.

Adam Baumgartner

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:05 am

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed might be worth a try?

Michelle davies

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 am

I did try it, but no change, unfortunately.

It branches into two options: Install and Uninstall, and presents a list of programs I have installed (Oblivion is not there)

There is an option "Not listed".

In case of Install, it does nothing.

In case of uninstall if asks for the Product ID, which I entered, and it says it fixed something, but installing the game crashes as before.

Thanks, of course.

Arrogant SId

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:11 am

http://repairerrors.net/setup-exe-has-stopped-working.html <-- 3rd party tool so use at your own risk.

Eire Charlotta

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Hmmmm. . . guess not:

• Their claim is kinda too bold (106 million downloads?)

• At least one site says it contains malware

• Most of all: Googling "ReimageRepair", most of the entries are from people having trouble removing it.

Thanks anyway.

Isaac Saetern

Return to IV - Oblivion