Help playing Daggerfall on Win98 VM

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:58 am

I am trying to play Daggerfall on my Windows 98 Virtual Machine. I would like to use DOSBox so I can enjoy the slightly improved graphics offered by some of the tweaks.

So far I have installed Daggerfall from the CD (huge installation size), then I installed the CompUSA patch, the 213 patch, fixsave, and I copied the Arena2 folder from the CD to the C:\Dagger folder where the game is installed.

I've tried to play the game in Win98's native DOS mode as well as a few different versions of DOSBox. Unfortunately, I cannot get the game to start. I get this error every time:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/bycote1/error.jpg

These are the current contents of my Z.cfg file:

type dfall_huge
path c:\dagger\arena2\
pathcd c:\dagger\arena2\
fadecolor 0
mapfile d
rendergame 1
user 1
startMap 179
region 17
helmet 0
maxSpeed 200
controls betaplyr.dat
maps mapsave.sav
cheatmode 1
magicrepair 1

The Daggerfall CD is currently in drive D of my VM, but changing the Z.cfg file to reflect that (pathcd d:\dagger\arena2\) does nothing to change this problem.

How do I get the game to recognize that its disc is in the drive? Or, preferably, how do I play without the disc?
SexyPimpAss

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Start the game by typing FALL.EXE Z.CFG instead of Dagger.

There's a bug in DOSBox so Dagger.exe won't work. It's fixed in the latest DOSBox CVS though, so whenever they release a new version of DOSBox it will be fixed.
YO MAma

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:50 am

Ah, of course, thank you very much for the reminder. I've just been setting up and playing Arena for a few days and I didn't think to change that. :^)
*Chloe*

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Since you patched then copied the cd files, you'll need to patch again since you over wrote the newer patch files with the older ones from the cd.
Susan

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion