Help, I'm terrible at Morrowind!

Post » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:49 am

Like really really bad. Specifically at combat. My iron spear feels like it has no reach and never does any damage (despite it being a major skill of mine). Basically, I'm brand new to the game, but I'm finding it very difficult on almost every term. And I keep bloody dying; everything crushes me while I miss most hits. What advice can a novice get around here?

:thanks:

Alexandra walker

Post » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:34 am

can you post your race and skills please (with their current levels)?
jason worrell

Post » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:48 am

Well in order to hit your enemy, you need quite a bit of Spear skill and your Fatigue needs to be high. Luck also helps a little but is less important.

In essence, just keep practicing your skill on mudcrabs and use Restore Health potions when needed. Stay close to Seyda Neen the first few levels as that won′t get you to high level enemies.

Prue

Post » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:56 am

Yes, this is very good advice. I usually practice on the animals for a few levels before ever fighting an NPC (usually one of the bandits in Adamasartus cave). Morrowind starts off waaay more slowly than Oblivion or Skyrim, so don't get impatient or discouraged.
Elena Alina

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:19 pm

Yep. I reckon I didn′t venture far until I hit level 5 or so. And then I only went to Balmora and back again.

There is a cave I think west of Seyda Neen that has some loot in it that one can try if one feels adventurous. But again, skill practice and full Fatigue are both essential in order to hit an enemy.

Facebook me

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Yes, like others have already said. Fatigue takes an important role in combat, whether it's ranged or melee. Yes, it's slow. But walking instead of running is the thing to do.

meghan lock

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Cheers for the advice so far :) I should add that I am a combat-oriented Imperial, focusing primarily on long sword, heavy armour and spear, with other combat skills thrown in.

CHANONE

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:29 pm

You should be crushing it with that longsword. As far as the spear goes make sure you are always using thrust attacks (move forward while holding the attack button down), as spears deal more thrust damage, naturally. Even still, it's going to take some practice getting your spear up to where it's hitting more often than not.
amhain

Post » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:18 am

Another thing to remember is that skill level does not directly affect damage dealt, like it does in the later games. In fact, weapon damage works completely differently. The damage range listed for an attack on a weapon, such as chop, shows the minimum damage, which would be caused by a simple click, and the maximum damage, which is caused by holding the attack button for a moment to get a full swing. You'll know you're ready for full damage when the animation stops. Unless you're trying to spam the effects of an enchantment, you're generally going to want to take a moment to get a full swing. Do that, and you should start getting much more solid hits in.

IsAiah AkA figgy

Return to III - Morrowind